Sponsored by:

PORSCHE TO BUILD ONLY 70 SPEEDSTERS !?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
70 of these. Track only GT2 RS, I know of at least one RennLister is lucky enough to be getting one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbqkZ7IDSqo

I actually counted at least 5.........
Old 07-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I see your point about being a dumb move if we only look at maximizing profit on that one car. But if we look at the brand strategy overall and want to continue to have that "exclusive" tag for the brand, this makes sense. We can't just measure profit (or missed profit) on one car alone. This car, if it is only going to be 70 cars, will drive huge coverage and reinforce everything that Porsche wants reinforced. I would argue that they need to have cars like this every now and then for this reason. The 911 R, CGT, RS 4.0, etc.

Porsche is playing the long game.
Except the Speedster isn't even remotely the kind of car that would serve the purpose of a sub 100 production halo car. Not even close. There will be far less halo effect for a car like this than either the 911R or the 918 Spyder, and they made way more than 70 of those. It's a GT3 Cab, nothing more. No way Porsche spends all the time, money and effort on the Speedster and then sells only 70 of them. They'll limit supply to ensure a good price and because of limited capacity at the moment, but it's still going to sell in the hundreds of units.

Again, if Porsche thinks this is halo car, they're a bunch of tards.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except the Speedster isn't even remotely the kind of car that would serve the purpose of a sub 100 production halo car. Not even close. There will be far less halo effect for a car like this than either the 911R or the 918 Spyder, and they made way more than 70 of those. It's a GT3 Cab, nothing more. No way Porsche spends all the time, money and effort on the Speedster and then sells only 70 of them. They'll limit supply to ensure a good price and because of limited capacity at the moment, but it's still going to sell in the hundreds of units.

It becomes a halo car, in part, by its exclusivity, whether it’s 70 or 7.

This is, in part, what makes the 911R a “halo” car.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

But we know with absolute certainty that they are not "tards."

I have no idea how much time or expense was spent on this car, or how much it will cost. Also no idea what these cars will sell for. But I am sure there will be people wanting it, and it will be unique relative to other offerings. Halo car? Doubt it. But I didn't think the R was that flash either. They used the GT3 suspension, 911 R engine, GT3T gearbox, etc. so not sure they redesigned a new model only to make 70 of them. And no idea how may will get made. My comment was just about the value to PAG of cars like this. Whether this is super low production halo car or not remains to be seen. But I agree it doesn't look that special. Maybe they make thousands of them? No idea!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I actually counted at least 5.........
I know someone who is getting one too so that is 6 of 70 gone.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE TO BUILD ONLY 70 SPEEDSTERS !?