Sponsored by:

Star Power!... finally arrived

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:54 AM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Wallpaper is making a comeback. This is not good at all - did you consult with anyone like a significant other about the design choice?
Hello Riz, I did. I consulted with my most significant other, myself. We had a lengthy discussion in deciding which colors to coordinate with Voodoo Blue; not that simple considering the interior trim is also in Voodoo. So, we decided on this pattern, rather than the myriad permutations of tartan or houndstooth that seem to be “de rigueur”. I also have a set in houndstooth that I have not yet tried on; they should also look terrific​​​​​ (and not create such angst!). Also planning another set in a perforated leather (color selection almost set), which I believe will be the cat’s meow!

Cheers,

Claudio
Old 07-30-2018, 01:21 AM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buteo
Good to see something different. Enjoy!
Mille grazie, Buteo!... btw, looking forward to seeing your lizard RS!!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 AM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I think it is totally unimportant what any of us think, as long as you like it, that is all that counts.
Thank you, Robert. As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is disappointing, however, to see such ill mannered individuals lurking about on these forums. On another note, I must tell you how I have enjoyed seeing the lovely modifications you have and are making to your 911R. I understand entirely the impetus for such an undertaking. Colin Chapman knew!

A few years back, when I was totally immersed in learning everything about racing, I decided to transform my 1975 Dino 308 GT4 into a race car. I knew that the most critical alteration was “adding lightness”. So, I stripped everything out, cut out as much of the frame without weakening it structurally, replaced the front and rear bonnet, doors, bumpers, fenders, and part of the roof section with fiberglass (carbon fiber was in its infancy); installed a lexan firewall, and all glass with the same.

Next, a full roll cage, halon system, baffled center fill fuel cell (up front), proper recaro racing buckets with six point harnesses, a red Momo alcantara steering wheel, black toggle switches, including the starter switch (under a clear plastic flip-up cover, of course!), and tiny formula ford side view mirrors mounted onto the fenders. The suspension was lowered, along with many different permutations of spring/shock/sway-bar combinations, in conjunction with bbs wheels shod with soft compounds up to slicks.

The three liter engine I supercharged. Lastly, I did not forget about parasitic drag, nor adding proper downforce, with a humongous front spoiler, and air chanelled into the front through the radiator, and up over the front bonnet. Side intakes drew in air for the transaxle and oil coolers. The rear had a gurney flap, and below it fashioned entirely with a mesh grille for hot air exhaustion. A single center stop light finished it off (homage to F1).

When all was done, I had dropped the weight down to ~ 2140 lbs, sans driver. She was a beast! I ran her from Watkins Glenn, Lime Rock, Pocono, Summit Point, and out to Bridgehampton (my favorite), for some years, until stress fractures started to develop on the frame just off the A-arms.

What fun!

Regards,

Claudio

Quick Reply: Star Power!... finally arrived