Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Are you saying if I try to tighten that nut on the valve stem it might do the trick? I have no idea how those work. I mean... most valve stems just stick through the hole from the back. I figured the nut had something to do with TPMS or something.
Could be the valve core also, you can check that with soapy water or spit with the valve stem cap off. Sometimes needs just a little tighten- carefully, or replace the core.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Could be the valve core also, you can check that with soapy water or spit with the valve stem cap off. Sometimes needs just a little tighten- carefully, or replace the core.
I didn't want to put the whole thing in a bathtub to try to find the leak myself, but a bit of soapy water over the valve stem should be easy enough.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Tire shop held up as decent. That's why I keep going there.

They told me straight-up that they're not trained on for center locks and don't have the equipment if they need any. Then they sprayed down the tire for me and helped me find the leak and didn't charge me anything.

Turns out it's actually a puncture. A very small one. And in a place that can't be repaired. They said they couldn't patch it regardless of the wheel. I got a second opinion and the guys I bring the Porsche to said the same thing.

They told me not to pull out the metal bit and to add some sealant and that I'd be good to go. I've followed up to ask what they think about track use but haven't heard back yet.

That's where I'd really like a wider range of opinions here. If it wasn't leaking tiny bits of air I'd have never known there was anything here. I'm leaning toward the "I'd never forgive myself if something happened so I should just replace it" mentality but I also don't want to be stupid about it. If it's legitimately nothing to worry about then I'm also not happy to just throw money away.

It's on the inside shoulder.

I'm also wondering, since I let air out at the track, whether sealant will spew out of the valve and gum up my tire gauge. Is that a thing that happens or does that stuff mostly rubberize inside the tire and stop being a liquid?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

It may just be the angle of the photo, but that looks like a worn tire down to the wear bars and should be replaced anyway.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Nah. They've got at least 1, maybe 2 track days left in them. That's why replacement is such a headache. I'm gonna replace all 4 by the end of the year and don't want one mismatched.

Here's a pic of the wear bars. Remember that there's not all that much on these to begin with.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Never can be too careful IMO. Had a set of tires installed on my RS4 by a local tire shop. No issues, although I did spend some time with the guy on expectations. They all loved the car and I got it back as I gave it to them. Fast forward 18 months later and its time for another set. Same shop, no conversation on expectations. I assumed I would get the same service. They put the new guy on it. He used a screw driver as a pry bar to get the plastic caps off. Fully gouged up the rim of every lug hole. Then, he didnt use the right lug socket and took all the finish off each hole. Didnt stop there, took off pieces of two tims with the tire machine. Ultimately they had to refinish every wheel. $800.
Had a leak in my 911 and went to NTB because it was closer than my dealer. Had the conversation about expectations. The manager looked at the wheels, how low the car was (spasm) and said he would rather not do it. He was open that he didnt think his crew could get it right. I thanked him for his honesty and drove my car to the dealer. I am sure that without some talk about what I expected he may have tried it. No telling the results.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Center-lock wheels are a PITA in my opinion. Its a classic example of over-engineering BS for no reasons. Having said all that, personally I would be worried sick by any tire changer working on it. My advice is to go to your local stealer for a peace of mind.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:41 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I have tire shops that I trust more than the dealers. They're just not nearby.

I heard back from the owner of one after sending him the pictures. He says if the sealant holds on the street then it should be good for the track so long as I've got the TPMS to know if there's any pressure drop.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't use sealant. I know Porsche approves and even supply it to fix leaks. Especially for expensive center-lock/tire combos, once the sealants are injected you will never be able to clean it out later. It adheres to everything it touches and the tacky gooey stuff if not distributed evenly will cause uneven vibration.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
A wheel is a wheel is a wheel. Doesn't matter if 5 bolt or the CL. The tire goes on the same way. The questions are the same for tire R & R. Only difference is how the combo is mounted to the car.
+1
Old 07-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Tire shop held up as decent. That's why I keep going there.

They told me straight-up that they're not trained on for center locks and don't have the equipment if they need any. Then they sprayed down the tire for me and helped me find the leak and didn't charge me anything.

Turns out it's actually a puncture. A very small one. And in a place that can't be repaired. They said they couldn't patch it regardless of the wheel. I got a second opinion and the guys I bring the Porsche to said the same thing.

They told me not to pull out the metal bit and to add some sealant and that I'd be good to go. I've followed up to ask what they think about track use but haven't heard back yet.

That's where I'd really like a wider range of opinions here. If it wasn't leaking tiny bits of air I'd have never known there was anything here. I'm leaning toward the "I'd never forgive myself if something happened so I should just replace it" mentality but I also don't want to be stupid about it. If it's legitimately nothing to worry about then I'm also not happy to just throw money away.

It's on the inside shoulder.

I'm also wondering, since I let air out at the track, whether sealant will spew out of the valve and gum up my tire gauge. Is that a thing that happens or does that stuff mostly rubberize inside the tire and stop being a liquid?
Nah. They've got at least 1, maybe 2 track days left in them. That's why replacement is such a headache. I'm gonna replace all 4 by the end of the year and don't want one mismatched.

Here's a pic of the wear bars. Remember that there's not all that much on these to begin with.
I hear you. I cringe at the tire prices and like to get the most out of each purchase.

I agree that it's not repairable given the puncture's location. Based on the same principle. I wouldn't use sealant and then track that tire. Although it is such a small puncture/leak, something can go wrong. If something goes wrong on the track, consequences can be catastrophic. OTOH, using it on the street is not such a big risk. I would hope

Don't know the answer as to whether the sealant will gum up your tire gauge. However, IIRC, the sealants do come with the warning to notify whoever will service the tire that a sealant was used, so some of it may stay as aerosol?

As I stated at the start of this post, I am stingy and like to count pennies. Having said that, I still would not track this tire. I would be too paranoid and not have fun. I would go one of two ways. Replace all four and take the hit, accept the fact that having these cars AND doing track are both VERY expensive. To satisfy my penny pinching, still keep the old tires for some kind of future use. That brings up the second way I would go (and have just gone): go all out, both feet in, and buy a set of track wheels and new tires. Use all 4 old tires as street tires only, or use the 3 good ones as spares on the track.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:59 PM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had one plugged like that with what they called a mushroom plug. They said the tire would loose its speed rating. Since we were not going to use it on the track it works fine.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:59 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

Ask DO YOU HAVE TOUCHLESS TIRE INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT?????
Old 07-21-2018, 02:03 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I hear you. I cringe at the tire prices and like to get the most out of each purchase.

I agree that it's not repairable given the puncture's location. Based on the same principle. I wouldn't use sealant and then track that tire. Although it is such a small puncture/leak, something can go wrong. If something goes wrong on the track, consequences can be catastrophic. OTOH, using it on the street is not such a big risk. I would hope

Don't know the answer as to whether the sealant will gum up your tire gauge. However, IIRC, the sealants do come with the warning to notify whoever will service the tire that a sealant was used, so some of it may stay as aerosol?

As I stated at the start of this post, I am stingy and like to count pennies. Having said that, I still would not track this tire. I would be too paranoid and not have fun. I would go one of two ways. Replace all four and take the hit, accept the fact that having these cars AND doing track are both VERY expensive. To satisfy my penny pinching, still keep the old tires for some future use. That brings up the second way I would go (and have just gone): go all out, both feet in, and buy a set of track wheels and new tires. Use all 4 old tires as street tires only, or use the 3 as spares on the track.
+1 I’d go ahead and get a set of track wheels/tires. Keep using your stockers on the street.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

I have tire shops that I trust more than the dealers. They're just not nearby.

I heard back from the owner of one after sending him the pictures. He says if the sealant holds on the street then it should be good for the track so long as I've got the TPMS to know if there's any pressure drop.
That's just it. Everyone says go to the dealer to have it done right, but I don't think dealers have nearly the experience of a busy tire store. I got an estimate for a new set of MPSS rear tires for my M4 daily at Big Brand....$650 bucks which essentially matches Tirerack. Dealer's rock bottom price.... $850. Service guy said he was sure they could match a written estimate, but he'd have to check on it....and I haven't heard back.

J

Quick Reply: What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?