Sponsored by:

Added oil, now won't display measurement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 11:15 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Added oil, now won't display measurement

So I was at an all day Driver's Skills day this weekend and come about 4pm during autocross runs I get the yellow "Oil Level Minimum Reached" warning.

I ran one last session and then parked the car, packed up my stuff, and restarted the car for the 140 mile trip home from the track. The warning was no longer there, but after a minute of driving, it popped back up. Drove for another 15 minutes to get somewhere to eat, again let the car sit, ran in a nearby Walmart and picked up some Mobil 0W-40. Turned the car back on, warning there, so added 3/4 a quart. Warning gone. Drove home. Once home, the oil read out display gave me the message "No Information about Oil level available at present". Same thing today. I can't check the oil level. Any ideas? Figuring probably an easy fix. I just want my dipstick back...
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Did you go into the menu and tell it to do a reading?

I believe once you open the deck lid or take off the oil cap or something it throws out any information it had until you do a new reading. You need to bring it up to temperature and then tell it to do the reading. I don't think it will just do it on its own, though I could be wrong.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Give it time and some miles and it will pop back up....the difference between min and max is .85 Liters of oil....it's quite possible that 3/4 quart will put you into max and you'll need to remove some.....this measurement will drive you crazy.....
Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

You have to have the car at operating temp, on a flat surface sitting still and running for 3 minutes for the oil reading to take place.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^this is what I have found as well to work , try cycling by opening the motor lid , then let sit idling till it will give you a read out .( upon toggling to check )
FYI add only 200mil. at a time , one bar apxr. 100 mil .
Old 06-25-2018, 01:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

You likely added too much if added .75 qt. Follow what others said above, pop the deck lid again, bring to operating temp and let idle on a level surface for ~2 minutes.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Always add oil with a 50cc syringe
Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. Will give these things a try.
Added .75 quarts, so since .85 liters is the difference between min and max, and .85Liters=.89quarts, hopefully all is good. Just curious, what would be the best way to remove just bit of oil...undo the drain plug and then replace it quickly...messy.
If I don't remove it, won't it just burn off?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:03 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by 0to60
Always add oil with a 50cc syringe
This. I seriously add 50cc at a time. Like for real. I'm not kidding.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Thanks. Will give these things a try.
Added .75 quarts, so since .85 liters is the difference between min and max, and .85Liters=.89quarts, hopefully all is good. Just curious, what would be the best way to remove just bit of oil...undo the drain plug and then replace it quickly...messy.
If you loosen the drain bolt without taking it all the way off it'll dribble oil out. There are some threads on here about suctioning oil out through the fill opening but I've never done that. I have been so frustrated with overfill/underfill that I just did an entire oil change-that fixed it. But I would get a reading first and then go from there.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Will give these things a try.
Don't worry and don't bother. It will burn off. If you get the yellow caution. The maximum coefficient of oil expansion (about 650 mls in your motor) happens at about the 215 degree mark. Let me know if you really want to see the math.

If you get the red caution, and you won't, then remove 100-200 mls by doing an easy oil filter swap.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:07 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

My experience is very different than these posts. I changed my oil and it took 75 miles to finally get a reading. I tried every reset trick in the book and no joy. I started to get a bit worried as I was at the Glen two weeks later and about 75 miles after the change. I replaced 7qts and could not get a reading. As it turned out, the morning of my first run, the reading came up. Its now gone again, but I have not driven the car with enough rev's to create the pressure necessary to get the oil up through the tube to gain a reading since then.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Then something isn't right. With a 991.1 GT3, there have been many discussions on this. What works for the majority of people is:

a) Get the engine fully up to operating temperature,
b) Park it in a level place. I try and use the same place every time because it IS sensitive to exactly how level.
c) Let it sit and idle 2 minutes. I used the Sport Chrono timer every time for this.
d) You pretty much always get a reading at that point.

With the 991.1 GT3, it takes an oil reading whenever a), b), and c) happen except it isn't very fussy about how level the car is. I've gotten some very inaccurate readings when I've been sitting at LONG traffic lights on moderate/steep hills. That bad reading is displayed until it either gets another reading, you've opened the engine lid, or some period of time has passed. I could never figure out what that magic period of time is.

I usually added 1/4 of a quart when it was three bars down - which is the first "yellow" level. I didn't add until it said low two readings in a row.

I greatly prefer the 991.2 approach. It's like the old days, park it, let it run, select oil reading, and watch it count down two minutes...

Quick Reply: Added oil, now won't display measurement