Sponsored by:

New GT3 Build - is it here yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Let's get together to beat the hell out of our cars - mine arrives around Christmas. I know some other LA-based RL'ers who would probably love to join us!
-
ya, I literally cant wait, I am squirming in my chair as we speak just thinking about receiving the car in September. I am looking for a group start or join in the LA area now for regular runs, track days, trips, etc. You up for getting few together?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your dad had you when he was 19? I would be concerned street parking the GT3 in Thousand Oaks. Are you sure you want to get the window triangle in CF? Why not get the anti wind buffeting ones later on? I don't get the point of door handles in black, passenger net, FAL, and SC. Are 18 ways necessary? The 4 ways are more comfortable. Auto dim mirrors, lighting pack, VC and Bose seem to bloat the car. Otherwise nice spec.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:03 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aku700
But do they have manual GT3 to trash? But yes, my guy said it will delay it by weeks and possible a month. He also stated he will take me in the very near future as a customer perk, so cant beat that.
For reference, I also did PEC LA delivery and it didn't delay delivery at all. Actually, I delayed delivery myself for a week so I could do it on a Friday. My dealer is local if that matters.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andial
So your dad had you when he was 19? I would be concerned street parking the GT3 in Thousand Oaks. Are you sure you want to get the window triangle in CF? Why not get the anti wind buffeting ones later on? I don't get the point of door handles in black, passenger net, FAL, and SC. Are 18 ways necessary? The 4 ways are more comfortable. Auto dim mirrors, lighting pack, VC and Bose seem to bloat the car. Otherwise nice spec.

Answers/details to your post:
-Yes and my mom was 17 at the time, it was amazing growing up, when I was 10 and we went skiing, my dad was only 29, so ya, it was cool.
-I did have concerns about parking my GTS on the street and after a while, 8 months, I was like "meh"., should be fine, I do live in Westlake Village, so its better/safer neighborhood. Plus, steeling a GBM GT3 will stick out like a soar thumb, so one would have to be stupid to steal it and drive it down the road. If i had a garage, i would park it in there, but I have house with 1 car driveway and my wifes owns that, so I got kicked to the curb. And my driveway is crazy, meaning I scrap going in/out every time due to sever incline from street to entrance of driveway and back up, its like a V.
-Yes, you are correct, removing the windows triangle CF.
-I like all the black accents, so it looks cool.
-As I posted, this will be my daily driver, I will do about 1500 miles a month and I will mainly drive in Los Angeles region and not sure how familiar you are, but we have crazy large speed bumps all over the place. Both my 991 and 991 GTS I didn't have FAL and I have scrapped the crap out of them. So, ya, its pretty much needed if I want to keep the front from scraping.
-Passenger net, so when I take my wife, girlfriend, kids, other, they can through their crap in the net vs around the car and I have to clean it up later, LOL. although wife wont be too happy if I have GF in car aye? haahhahahahah.
-And yes, 18 way is a must, daily driving, taking trips, etc, buckets will kill my back and since I plan to keep this car a long time, I will be riding in comfortable.
-Will it be the lightest and fastest GT3 on the road, NOPE, but I am no marrio andretti and don't plan to be, I just want to enjoy this beast with manual transmission, 500 HP and 18 way seats of comfort. When I was younger, I used to ride and race bikes pretty good and I met this guy called Chuck Graves at Willow Springs, this guy rode a 600CC bike and beat the pants off everyone with 600 stock, 600 open class, 750, 750 open class and 1000 stock and 1000cc open class, because this guy could fly, it was amazing to watch this guy. This was before he got pretty famous. So, is my car heavier yes, but doesn't mean I will be slower, lol. And even if I am, I don't car because I will have a GBM GT3, LOL. Most people who get GT3's will never track it(probably 90% or more), they make it light, get buckets, but don't race it, so why be in pain when you can be in comfort? And yes, I get I am in the minority here with 18 ways, its hard to find GT3's with 18's. Just my 2 cents worth as they say.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:59 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would sell a kidney to pay for my PCCBs if I had to. Just make sure to do the bedding procedure properly to make them silent as quickly as possible- I was not good about it, and it took over 2k mi before they went quiet, and they were LOUD before that.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aku700
Answers/details to your post:
-Yes and my mom was 17 at the time, it was amazing growing up, when I was 10 and we went skiing, my dad was only 29, so ya, it was cool.
-I did have concerns about parking my GTS on the street and after a while, 8 months, I was like "meh"., should be fine, I do live in Westlake Village, so its better/safer neighborhood. Plus, steeling a GBM GT3 will stick out like a soar thumb, so one would have to be stupid to steal it and drive it down the road. If i had a garage, i would park it in there, but I have house with 1 car driveway and my wifes owns that, so I got kicked to the curb. And my driveway is crazy, meaning I scrap going in/out every time due to sever incline from street to entrance of driveway and back up, its like a V.
-Yes, you are correct, removing the windows triangle CF.
-I like all the black accents, so it looks cool.
-As I posted, this will be my daily driver, I will do about 1500 miles a month and I will mainly drive in Los Angeles region and not sure how familiar you are, but we have crazy large speed bumps all over the place. Both my 991 and 991 GTS I didn't have FAL and I have scrapped the crap out of them. So, ya, its pretty much needed if I want to keep the front from scraping.
-Passenger net, so when I take my wife, girlfriend, kids, other, they can through their crap in the net vs around the car and I have to clean it up later, LOL. although wife wont be too happy if I have GF in car aye? haahhahahahah.
-And yes, 18 way is a must, daily driving, taking trips, etc, buckets will kill my back and since I plan to keep this car a long time, I will be riding in comfortable.
-Will it be the lightest and fastest GT3 on the road, NOPE, but I am no marrio andretti and don't plan to be, I just want to enjoy this beast with manual transmission, 500 HP and 18 way seats of comfort. When I was younger, I used to ride and race bikes pretty good and I met this guy called Chuck Graves at Willow Springs, this guy rode a 600CC bike and beat the pants off everyone with 600 stock, 600 open class, 750, 750 open class and 1000 stock and 1000cc open class, because this guy could fly, it was amazing to watch this guy. This was before he got pretty famous. So, is my car heavier yes, but doesn't mean I will be slower, lol. And even if I am, I don't car because I will have a GBM GT3, LOL. Most people who get GT3's will never track it(probably 90% or more), they make it light, get buckets, but don't race it, so why be in pain when you can be in comfort? And yes, I get I am in the minority here with 18 ways, its hard to find GT3's with 18's. Just my 2 cents worth as they say.
Cool. I meant 4 ways are still not buckets. More comfortable too. Lowest car driven in LA is MB SL and it has scrapes. Even MB E550 has scrapes due to air suspension up/down. Have fun w/ it.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 569 Posts

all the seats are hard to get into and out of with the car so low..........any seat is a winner with this car....I went buckets and no regret after driving for 4 hours in it on a mountain run........
Old 06-23-2018, 09:56 AM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With you on the 4 or 18-ways for a daily. I’m in the same boat with my GT3 that I’ll hopefully be picking up in the next week. Even though I personally find the buckets more comfortable, no one else that would ever share the car with me does, and that combined with losing easy acesss to the rear shelf makes the car much less practical as a daily. If only we got the folding buckets in the US. But alas, we do not.

It is amusing how many commenters seem to have glossed over your “daily” criterion. I think you’re bang on with general spec if you’re going to live there every day. Trading a little bit of weight for comfort is totally worth it for a car you’ll drive every day, the car’s limits are already higher than you’ll ever need on the streets and adding a few pounds doesn’t take away from the emotion of the car, which is the only reason to buy a GT3 over a Turbo for a daily. Heck, I’m going so far as to actually lift the car back up to C4S ride height even with a FAL because I live in Pittsburgh and our roads suck and I just don’t want to worry about it. I’ll take the reduction in lap times to allow me to enjoy that magnificent car in more situations.

if you’re really going to daily it in SoCal, I’d think long and hard about the manual vs. PDK though. Stop and go traffic with a clutch on an engine that high strung is not very fun. But, you know what you’re getting yourself into.

Last edited by aruisdante; 06-23-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by aruisdante
if you’re really going to daily it in SoCal, I’d think long and hard about the manual vs. PDK though. Stop and go traffic with a clutch on an engine that high strung is not very fun. But, you know what you’re getting yourself into.
This may help: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ing-2-gt3.html
Old 06-23-2018, 11:12 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 72 Posts

Highly optioned car, but I would recommend both PCCB brakes and standard 4 way Sport Plus Seats, both of which I have on mine.

The Ceramic brakes are world-class and the standard 4 ways are simpler, lighter and more comfortable in my opinion than 18 ways.

The savings on the Seats provide a 30% savings on the ceramic brakes which help to elevate the GT3 to modern supercar status.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Here is another reason I go with the 18's, I just came back from Willow Springs yesterday, did my first day EVER on a track with my MT 991 GTS and it was beyond explanation or expectations. I am not sure what times are considered fast, but with my instructor at this POC event, I got my time down from 1.40 a lap in my first session to 1.29 a lap on the 4th session, not bad for a newbie. And I won best in class, beat several other higher performance cars, but anyway, here is what's so great about the 18's, you can adjust the sides(legs and body) to pinch your body in, similar to bucket, but obviously no comparison, but it was enough to keep my body planted throughout this course, my legs/body never moved. I think the fastest times on the course yesterday was around 1.25, so the fact I did this in comfort and no sliding in my 18 ways speaks volumes, it actually reaffirms my decision to go 18. Also, on another note that I didn't think about, I was purchasing my helmet at Werks II in Burbank last week, I noticed they had buckets, so they said, "ya, we can just swap them in/out with ease". So, since I will only track my GT3 3-5 times a year, I can buy the buckets and swap them in/out as needed, that is if I get more serious about this racing, because this was accelerating experience to track a car and have no cops, radars, lazers, deer, bicyclist, pedestrians and/or any other crap to worry about, except for passing slower cars, lol.

and btw, I did the 1.29 with my Michelin Sport 4S tires, most everyone else had SportCup2's, etc. I was sliding around a lot, but damn it was fun, so I can probably shave off another 2-4 seconds with better tires, maybe more, who knows.

And it also reaffirms Manual vs PDK. I was really worried about tracking for my first time and shifting, this is my first manual car in 25 years, so I was scarred xxxxless out there on my first few laps, but at the end of the day, I was like "WOW", I love the manual, going down towards the skid and popping it from 2nd to 3rd was awesome, then into 4th, so ya, MANUAL is the way to go. I felt more as one with the car actually. But that's only my personal opinion/experience, to each his own obviously. Yes, manual in traffic sucks, but thank god I work from home, so only spend about 10-15% of my year bumper to bumper LA grid.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackmac
Aku,
I thought GBM is discontinued ? Have you checked with your SA to see if the color is still available for your build? Is your dealer a west coast dealer ?
Jack
-
Ok, so I guess I got very lucky, the GBM as you mentioned is now a PTS, but not til after July 2nd, my build lock in date is June 29th, so ya, damn close aye? GBM baby!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Aku700
Instructor

Originally Posted by aruisdante
With you on the 4 or 18-ways for a daily. I’m in the same boat with my GT3 that I’ll hopefully be picking up in the next week. Even though I personally find the buckets more comfortable, no one else that would ever share the car with me does, and that combined with losing easy acesss to the rear shelf makes the car much less practical as a daily. If only we got the folding buckets in the US. But alas, we do not.

It is amusing how many commenters seem to have glossed over your “daily” criterion. I think you’re bang on with general spec if you’re going to live there every day. Trading a little bit of weight for comfort is totally worth it for a car you’ll drive every day, the car’s limits are already higher than you’ll ever need on the streets and adding a few pounds doesn’t take away from the emotion of the car, which is the only reason to buy a GT3 over a Turbo for a daily. Heck, I’m going so far as to actually lift the car back up to C4S ride height even with a FAL because I live in Pittsburgh and our roads suck and I just don’t want to worry about it. I’ll take the reduction in lap times to allow me to enjoy that magnificent car in more situations.

Here is another reason I go with the 18's, I just came back from Willow Springs yesterday, did my first day EVER on a track with my MT 991 GTS and it was beyond explanation or expectations. I am not sure what times are considered fast, but with my instructor at this POC event, I got my time down from 1.40 a lap in my first session to 1.29 a lap on the 4th session, not bad for a newbie. And I won best in class, beat several other higher performance cars, but anyway, here is what's so great about the 18's, you can adjust the sides(legs and body) to pinch your body in, similar to bucket, but obviously no comparison, but it was enough to keep my body planted throughout this course, my legs/body never moved. I think the fastest times on the course yesterday was around 1.25, so the fact I did this in comfort and no sliding in my 18 ways speaks volumes, it actually reaffirms my decision to go 18. Also, on another note that I didn't think about, I was purchasing my helmet at Werks II in Burbank last week, I noticed they had buckets, so they said, "ya, we can just swap them in/out with ease". So, since I will only track my GT3 3-5 times a year, I can buy the buckets and swap them in/out as needed, that is if I get more serious about this racing, because this was accelerating experience to track a car and have no cops, radars, lazers, deer, bicyclist, pedestrians and/or any other crap to worry about, except for passing slower cars, lol.

and btw, I did the 1.29 with my Michelin Sport 4S tires, most everyone else had SportCup2's, etc. I was sliding around a lot, but damn it was fun, so I can probably shave off another 2-4 seconds with better tires, maybe more, who knows.

And it also reaffirms Manual vs PDK. I was really worried about tracking for my first time and shifting, this is my first manual car in 25 years, so I was scarred xxxxless out there on my first few laps, but at the end of the day, I was like "WOW", I love the manual, going down towards the skid and popping it from 2nd to 3rd was awesome, then into 4th, so ya, MANUAL is the way to go. I felt more as one with the car actually. But that's only my personal opinion/experience, to each his own obviously. Yes, manual in traffic sucks, but thank god I work from home, so only spend about 10-15% of my year bumper to bumper LA grid
Old 06-28-2018, 04:00 PM
Aku700
Instructor

well, crap, my rep just told me my build got rejected for GBM color, so now what? This was the only color I wanted, so ya, crap.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

OSLO BLUE

Quick Reply: New GT3 Build - is it here yet?