Sponsored by:

Thrust vectoring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Thrust vectoring?

I got the GT3 T out to its second autocross yesterday, and I’m still post-processing the experience. The car’s amazingly loose on cold tires; from run 4 it’s a different car as the heat finally builds.

One thing that struck me was how quickly the car gets back into shape after it starts sliding. I was intentionally trying to get the tail moving around a tight sweeper and it would very readily oblige. I’d stay in the throttle, at which point on multiple occasions my brain would say “too much” as the rear yawed faster than expected. And just as I was expecting to be chasing a long, lurid slide the car would get back into shape far faster than my brain said it should have.

Considering it after the fact I think my brain needs to adapt the rear wheel steering, and perhaps in particular thrust vectoring. On the power at low speed any countersteering will result in “trust vectoring” with the rears spun up, and that magically arrested slides much faster than you’d otherwise expect... I’m still working it out, but so far it seems like it might be the most obvious way the RWS has made itself known. Anyone experience it similarly, or notice the RWS obviously in another way?

Finished the day 2nd by .3 seconds to the below BTW. Given that I’m rusty and there were guys out there on Hoosier A6s I was pretty pleased.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

FWIW a manual .2 GT3 is a lot looser then a .1RS.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:02 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Pete,

How about a picture? I assume you are running nannies on? As I understand it, it will differentially brake wheels to control a slide which I think is what you are feeling as opposed to RWS.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
I assume you are running nannies on? As I understand it, it will differentially brake wheels to control a slide which I think is what you are feeling as opposed to RWS.
Nope, this is all nannies off. Even with just TC on it’s far to aggressive pulling power, and likely costs close to a a second vs a good lap with them off. The Touring has the mechanical LSD, so I’m not sure what’s still active when you switch everything off.

To be clear I’m correcting with countersteer and throttle to catch the slide as I normally would, it’s just that those corrections are far more effective than I would expect them to be.

I’ll check if there are any pics from the event posted...
Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb

Nope, this is all nannies off. Even with just TC on it’s far to aggressive pulling power, and likely costs close to a a second vs a good lap with them off. The Touring has the mechanical LSD, so I’m not sure what’s still active when you switch everything off.

I’ll check if there are any pics from the event posted...
The reason I ask is I thought PTV was shut off with nannies off so you just had the mechanical LSD. I could be wrong, however.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
FWIW a manual .2 GT3 is a lot looser then a .1RS.
Makes sense- narrower track, less rubber, more sidewall flex, mechanical LSD and more power to the wheels. Once the tires come up to temp it’s nicely balanced, but from cold it feels comically overpowered.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:23 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Pete,

one other question, do you have Dunlops or Cup2?
Old 06-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij

The reason I ask is I thought PTV was shut off with nannies off so you just had the mechanical LSD. I could be wrong, however.
Ah. I don’t meant PVT (Porsche Torque Vectoring). I mean thrust vectoring. Like an F22. I think I can feel the spinning driven wheels push the rear side to side independent of what the front is doing.

Last edited by Petevb; 06-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:33 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Ah. I don’t meant PVT (Porsche Torque Vectoring). I mean thrust vectoring. Like an F22. I think I can feel the spinning driven wheels to push the rear side to side independent of what the front is doing.
Ah, that makes sense. You had me confused (which is not hard to do). ;-)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree. I had some similar experiences at track in a couple slow corners that I purposely induce oversteer for fun. I need more time to get used to how it behaves over the limit. At times I was either under or over correcting, as the rear feels like it's always a moving target. The way it puts down power in 2nd gear corners is staggering though.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Thrust vectoring threads are NSFW usually
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Opinion about mechanical LSD versus e-diff?

Makes sense- narrower track, less rubber, more sidewall flex, mechanical LSD and more power to the wheels. Once the tires come up to temp it’s nicely balanced, but from cold it feels comically overpowered.
I am coming from a mk1 RS and the Touring feels indeed a lot looser.
It is a much more entertaining car on the road.

Difficult to isolate the single factor creating the difference (front axle footprint, tires, gearbox, engine torque,...) but I suspect the combination of LSD with different RWS calibration (reduced action?) makes for a different rear end stability and adjustability compared with the e-diff plus torque vectoring and RWS designed to work together for maximum efficiency.

I like the Touring adjustability on the road better than the RS efficiency.
It feels closer to the traditional 911 behavior of old to me.
But I am only an average driver...

The RS was making me look better / faster on track but the Touring is more fun on the road.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 141 Posts

Ah. I don’t meant PVT (Porsche Torque Vectoring). I mean thrust vectoring. Like an F22. I think I can feel the spinning driven wheels push the rear side to side independent of what the front is doing.

Off Topic I would do anything to fly an F22
Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 128 Posts

I autoxed my Touring a few weeks ago and was impressed how quickly the Michelin's heated up (within a few turns). It was a fairly warm day, so that helped. The car was a bit more tail happy than expected (nannies off), but controllable. I was very pleasantly surprised with the front end grip, as I hate understeer, especially while autoxing. I look forward to more autoxing, as I know I left a lot out there.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris88
I autoxed my Touring a few weeks ago and was impressed how quickly the Michelin's heated up (within a few turns). It was a fairly warm day, so that helped. The car was a bit more tail happy than expected (nannies off), but controllable.
I’m on the Dunlops, and I find they seem to need much more heat than the old version. 70F and sunny and they were gaining between .5 and 1 PSI per pass through 5 passes. Grip just started to come in on the 3rd pass.

Previously I’d felt the MPSC2s needed more heat than the DSMR, now I’m wondering if it might be the opposite.

Quick Reply: Thrust vectoring?