Sponsored by:

Thrust vectoring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

The reason I ask is I thought PTV was shut off with nannies off so you just had the mechanical LSD. I could be wrong, however.
no the torque vectoring through independent rear wheel braking is always active even with esc/+tc off.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure about the nannies? It sounds exactly like when they are at their first but not full deactivation mode. If you press once without holding several seconds untill the full and final stage of deactivation occurs they are still on even though you think you turned them off.

At least this is how it works in other 2018 Porsches but I have only pressed and hold several seconds in my GT3 without exploring the first stage yet.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:53 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Johisco
Sure about the nannies?
Lol. Yep. Explored each stage. Nearly a second per pass slower with TC on but stability off due to power cut.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:37 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

PTV is active with all nannies off. Manual trans GT3s have the same horrid mechanical unit that wears out every year (or every 3 months depending on car use) as the old 996/997 GT cars.

I have PTV+ in the 991.1 TTS and 991.1RS, the + refers to the ability to open/close the diff based on steering angle and readings from the wheel speeds at all corners and yaw sensor (even on the gas, it loosens or tightens the diff in near real-time, same with off-throttle).

You may be experiencing two combined issues: the horrible manners of the MPSC2 (I just don't like their fragile limit between grip/no-grip when not hot, and their quick 5-6 laps to get overheated and useless). Second factor the mechanical LSD and its inability to play with PTV (being on the throttle, diff locked, and PTV applying brakes to inside rear, counter-intuitive).

In the TTS, RWS has twice the turning angle as my RS, it only counter-steers below 31 mph which is hardly seen on a racetrack or an autocross, but in either car when occasionally I find a slow turning element where speeds are below 31mph, both cars power oversteer easily but I just hold the gas and the steering angle, RWS goes back to straighten the rear wheels and you don't loose the car (read: spin).

When the rear axle RWS plays in counter-steer mode, my two RWS cars are very loose on exit, but while my other cars would spin, these two cars just hold the front driving line while the rear is still sliding but catches up quickly. It is easy to adapt to RWS.

RWS on high-speed mode (steers in same direction as the front) feels invisible to me on both cars.

Best experience with RWS is driving fast in the rain (closed circuit), it is much more evident than driving in dry conditions.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

This discussion makes me wish there was a fuse for the PTV to pull... I really didn't like it in the CGTS.

Quick Reply: Thrust vectoring?