Sponsored by:

Idea of California Driving Tour from Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
^ I'll loan you my grape. PM me when you arrive on the area, would be fun to go for a spin and beers.
PM you for beers :-)

Originally Posted by mooty
trakcar's barney will be in CA shortly, we all go drive.
only if my fkg 9912GT3 will show up ugh....
Well, still working on that deal...
What you need a GT3 for?

Originally Posted by ChrisF
...you might be forced to drive the Boxster again.
I would have to sell all other cars, but then again, I wouldn't drive any other cars anyway.
First 100K mile CGT lol..
Old 06-14-2018, 11:03 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Too much traffic mid summer on PCH.

I've been exploring some really fun high speed roads that are more mountainous recently with much more satisfaction.

The best routes to me are the weird ones with lot of inclines/declines, hitting death valley (fall/ winter only), highway 41, ortega highway, 152 from 5 FWY to gilroy to the fruit stand, etc. could do a monterey to yosemite to tahoe drive linking Pacific Ocean to Sierras.

Great Orange County to san diego region drive would be 405 to Ortega Highway, into Temecula wine country then down 15 into Pala, towards Anzo Borrego, hitting Alpine/ 8 fwy, julian (apple pie for all) and some random spots that don't feel like california at all.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Awesome! More or an idea right now than anything. If people are interested, we can work on dates. When does your car arrive?
Mine should be ready after re-PDI/PPF etc mid-July God willing... Always up to explore more beautiful CA roads, figure if I am paying the taxes over here might as well try to get my moneys worth (new to SoCal)

Yeah or a Smokies type event would also be awesome. We have rallys, but not really my style.
x2

Not into the rallys I've seen on IG nor that type of crowd, but I don't judge and just a plebeian's opinion...cool that some are for a good cause though

lol
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But that means we have to put miles on our precious GT3s!

/runs away

:P
Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

...and that would impact (gasp) VALUUUUUE!!!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:45 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

For those of you who might be interested, PCNA is offering a California Driving Tour in both September and October. You start with an afternoon at PECLA and eventually end up in Napa. It lasts about a week, and Porsche provides resort lodging, meals, use of vehicles and event memorabilia. There is also a Route 66 Tour, as well. Cost is near $10k, with a discount for couples.

If you are interested, please contact Porsche Travel Experience Concierge: 888-945-1170

Like all Porsche Hospitality events, it’s always expensive but always extremely well done.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

ca got money. but also 40 million people live here. still the greatest land mass on earth though with the best driving roads in the world....

http://fortune.com/2018/05/05/califo...nited-kingdom/
Old 06-15-2018, 08:15 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've always thought it would be great if somebody organized west coast 'One Lap', as most of these great CA roads are also near racetracks...
THIS AND/OR a CA based SMOKIES!!
Finish it up with a track day at Thermal!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I would love to join you, but I would probably bring up the rear in my 991.1 GTS cab because my GT3T arrives in December. After Labor Day would be a good time to do it as there would be (slightly) less weekend traffic in the beach areas.
This won't be a race so the GTS cab will be fine

And I'm down with after labor day.

Originally Posted by shamoo
But that means we have to put miles on our precious GT3s!

/runs away

:P
Lol. You mean people actually drive these things?

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Mine should be ready after re-PDI/PPF etc mid-July God willing... Always up to explore more beautiful CA roads, figure if I am paying the taxes over here might as well try to get my moneys worth (new to SoCal)
Just came back from a weekend camping in the Santa Barbara area. CA certainly has a ton of great scenery and roads. But the mudslide area was a bit scary to see in person.

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Thermal would be awesome! How do we make that happen?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:17 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just need a timeline/date and number of cars and I can see about making that happen......
Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Just need a timeline/date and number of cars and I can see about making that happen......

James, calendar permitting, I'd be in for this. It's been a while since I set something up and, I'm not inclined to become the "I'm not an event coordinator" again. In the past, we've done Ortega, Santa Monica Mountains, Angeles Crest, the very successful Glistening Perfection Group Buy and of course, our first GMG GT3 Thermal event with you. I can say if you're interested in setting this up, my suggestion is you: (1) start a thread, (2) ask to see who would be interested in the road-trip and Thermal get together and, (3) the hardest part is to get a date that is most convenient to the most number of people. Schedule dates far enough out, maintain a list of participants and the dates they're available and, it should be a good turn out.

Dan (would be interested in the whole get together and, hopefully you or someone will set this up)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:16 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hfm
James, calendar permitting, I'd be in for this. It's been a while since I set something up and, I'm not inclined to become the "I'm not an event coordinator" again. In the past, we've done Ortega, Santa Monica Mountains, Angeles Crest, the very successful Glistening Perfection Group Buy and of course, our first GMG GT3 Thermal event with you. I can say if you're interested in setting this up, my suggestion is you: (1) start a thread, (2) ask to see who would be interested in the road-trip and Thermal get together and, (3) the hardest part is to get a date that is most convenient to the most number of people. Schedule dates far enough out, maintain a list of participants and the dates they're available and, it should be a good turn out.

Dan (would be interested in the whole get together and, hopefully you or someone will set this up)
What about a drive down OR up from Thermal to Rennsport Reunion? How many of you are attending that event?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 PM
amerifrikaner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dates permitting, I'm in.

A few years ago, I did a 7 day European Delivery trip for my M3 with 21 random strangers from an M3 forum. It turned out to be 7 days of automotive heaven - 1500 miles, 5 countries, Nurburgring, Spa, Stelvio, incredible driving, incredible scenery, incredible food, and best of all, a great group of people that I still keep in touch until this day. It was EPIC.

So I was a little bummed when I couldn't do European Delivery on my GT3. Fast forward to this past weekend when I took a mini road trip from the Bay Area to Orange County, and I realized that we're lucky to be in California - we also have incredible roads, incredible scenery, and incredible food. And I was further inspired by Mooty's recent road trip. So why not do a California version of European Delivery? Simple goal - great driving, great food, great people, great memories. Porsche does something similar - https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...alifornia-tour

A friend of mine and I put together a quick 4-day itinerary for fun starting in Los Angeles (maybe add a day for Laguna Seca?). ~1100 miles and 25 hours of driving.

Day 1 - Angeles Crest, Mulholland Dr, 33, Lockwood Valley Rd/Cuddy Valley Rd, 58, stay in San Luis Obispo
Day 2 - Nacimiento Hwy, Hwy 1, 17 mile drive, relax and stay in Monterey (maybe meet our Northern California counterparts)
Day 3 - Big Basin Area (9, 236, Pescadero, San Gregario, Alice’s, etc.), SF / Golden Gate Bridge, back through 1 / Big Basin, stay in Santa Cruz
Day 4 - head back to Los Angeles

So question to RL - would anyone be interested in doing something like this?

Quick Reply: Idea of California Driving Tour from Los Angeles