Sponsored by:

Idea of California Driving Tour from Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Idea of California Driving Tour from Los Angeles

A few years ago, I did a 7 day European Delivery trip for my M3 with 21 random strangers from an M3 forum. It turned out to be 7 days of automotive heaven - 1500 miles, 5 countries, Nurburgring, Spa, Stelvio, incredible driving, incredible scenery, incredible food, and best of all, a great group of people that I still keep in touch until this day. It was EPIC.

So I was a little bummed when I couldn't do European Delivery on my GT3. Fast forward to this past weekend when I took a mini road trip from the Bay Area to Orange County, and I realized that we're lucky to be in California - we also have incredible roads, incredible scenery, and incredible food. And I was further inspired by Mooty's recent road trip. So why not do a California version of European Delivery? Simple goal - great driving, great food, great people, great memories. Porsche does something similar - https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...alifornia-tour

A friend of mine and I put together a quick 4-day itinerary for fun starting in Los Angeles (maybe add a day for Laguna Seca?). ~1100 miles and 25 hours of driving.

Day 1 - Angeles Crest, Mulholland Dr, 33, Lockwood Valley Rd/Cuddy Valley Rd, 58, stay in San Luis Obispo
Day 2 - Nacimiento Hwy, Hwy 1, 17 mile drive, relax and stay in Monterey (maybe meet our Northern California counterparts)
Day 3 - Big Basin Area (9, 236, Pescadero, San Gregario, Alice’s, etc.), SF / Golden Gate Bridge, back through 1 / Big Basin, stay in Santa Cruz
Day 4 - head back to Los Angeles

So question to RL - would anyone be interested in doing something like this?

Last edited by johnny2five; 06-12-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:43 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

If my GT3 is here and ready, I would definitely be interested
Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

Just did most of it. Roads are awesome especially mid week. Only suggestion:

Day 1 add Lockwood Valley Rd and Cuddy Valley Rd
Old 06-12-2018, 04:34 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
If my GT3 is here and ready, I would definitely be interested
Awesome! More or an idea right now than anything. If people are interested, we can work on dates. When does your car arrive?

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Just did most of it. Roads are awesome especially mid week. Only suggestion:

Day 1 add Lockwood Valley Rd and Cuddy Valley Rd
Will add to the list. And I learned about 33 and 58 from one our your posts in another thread...thank you for the suggestion! Drove it last weekend...there was a 10 miles stretch of 58 that must have just been paved days ago. It was AMAZING! One of the best stretches of pavement I've driven on. Ever.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Even after moving to NorCal, 33 is still my favorite road. How'd you like the rollers on 58
Old 06-13-2018, 02:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,236 Likes on 608 Posts

Too much traffic mid summer on PCH.

I've been exploring some really fun high speed roads that are more mountainous recently with much more satisfaction.

The best routes to me are the weird ones with lot of inclines/declines, hitting death valley (fall/ winter only), highway 41, ortega highway, 152 from 5 FWY to gilroy to the fruit stand, etc. could do a monterey to yosemite to tahoe drive linking Pacific Ocean to Sierras.

Great Orange County to san diego region drive would be 405 to Ortega Highway, into Temecula wine country then down 15 into Pala, towards Anzo Borrego, hitting Alpine/ 8 fwy, julian (apple pie for all) and some random spots that don't feel like california at all.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Even after moving to NorCal, 33 is still my favorite road. How'd you like the rollers on 58
The rollers were definitely fun. Seriously felt like a 5-year-old on my first coaster. I had to pull over to take a pic because I've never seen anything like it.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

I've been exploring some really fun high speed roads that are more mountainous recently with much more satisfaction.

The best routes to me are the weird ones with lot of inclines/declines, hitting death valley (fall/ winter only), highway 41, ortega highway, 152 from 5 FWY to gilroy to the fruit stand, etc. could do a monterey to yosemite to tahoe drive linking Pacific Ocean to Sierras.

Great Orange County to san diego region drive would be 405 to Ortega Highway, into Temecula wine country then down 15 into Pala, towards Anzo Borrego, hitting Alpine/ 8 fwy, julian (apple pie for all) and some random spots that don't feel like california at all.
Will need to try some of those out. I've done Ortega down to Pala but not beyond. Of those routes you've mentioned (or others), what your favorite?

Funny you mentioned spots that don't feel like California. I was just telling a colleague that it felt like I both time traveled and left the US multiple times during my drive from Marin to Orange County. I definitely forget and take for granted the beauty and character California has to offer.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I've always thought it would be great if somebody organized west coast 'One Lap', as most of these great CA roads are also near racetracks...
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've always thought it would be great if somebody organized west coast 'One Lap', as most of these great CA roads are also near racetracks...
Yeah or a Smokies type event would also be awesome. We have rallys, but not really my style.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Arizona has some great roads and some of the most colorful, historical and scenic areas too, The CopperState rally hosts a great drive that locals can easily do on their own too
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Ortega highway and anything in Kern county be most alert for tax collectors
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

I would love to join you, but I would probably bring up the rear in my 991.1 GTS cab because my GT3T arrives in December. After Labor Day would be a good time to do it as there would be (slightly) less weekend traffic in the beach areas.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I Just had a fantastisch time doing the Smokies and ChrisF is our CEO Chief Entertainment Officer of Driving around CA.
Its a real problem in South Florida. No fun roads so i have to get my kicks in Europe Smokies Andy CA.
Next week 4 days around Pikes Peak. I need to rent something somewhat fun to drive...
Old 06-14-2018, 02:05 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

^ I'll loan you my grape. PM me when you arrive on the area, would be fun to go for a spin and beers.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

trakcar's barney will be in CA shortly, we all go drive.
only if my fkg 9912GT3 will show up ugh....
Old 06-14-2018, 02:11 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

...you might be forced to drive the Boxster again.

Quick Reply: Idea of California Driving Tour from Los Angeles