For all you manual romantics out there

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 02:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have two problems with the car.

First is the noise inside. Its loud (and I don't mind loud) but its a highly unpleasant loud. Not something you want to subject yourself to for a long period. And related to the noise issue is the exhaust. In the GT3.2 PDK, you can more more easily dip into the flaps opening zone of 3,600+ rpm (and hence a nicer sound) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd because of the slightly shorter gearing in the PDK due to the extra gear. Also, you get a nice "pfuump" sound when the PDK changes up at these lower revs. I.e. you get to enjoy the sound of the car at much lower speeds in the PDK. But in the manual, its a lot harder to dip into that nice exhaust zone because of the higher gearing when driving around town. And you don't get the nice "pfuump" sound on upshift. This issue is compounded too I think by the fact that in my observation, the flaps open slightly later in the manual compared to the PDK. So at anything under 4000 rpm in the GT3T, it just feels like a regular Carrera. Whereas I always feel like I am driving something special in the GT3.2 PDK.

Second is the manual gearbox. I do not like the 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th or 6th to 5th changes. The detente is so strongly biased to the 3-4 position that you really have to be very deliberate with:
- the 4 to 5 up shift where you really have to push the shifter much too deliberately to the right and up. If you don't, you end up in 3rd.
- the 5 to 6 up shift where you have to (at least I do) alter your hand position on the knot to make sure you pull back and down to get 6th otherwise you end up in 4th far too easily
- the 6 to 5 down shift where you have to make sure you have some sideways force in up shift motion otherwise it will naturally fall into 3rd too easily.

And I am not the first person who has driven that car and commented on this.

And just to be clear, I do not have any of these issues with my 997 GT3 RS or my 964 RS (which admittedly is not a 6th spd box).

IMHO, my GT3.2 is a much better tourer than my GT3T. And so is my 997 GT3 RS for that matter. Instead of the GT3T being the first car my mind goes to when thinking about a long trip, its actually the last.
Just drove it 2000 miles in 3 days.
Spot on. But the sound for me is perfect, but like you say if its in the right RPM.
The .2 GT3 is quiet under the valve open stage, loud over.
The .1RS is pretty much too quiet except for WOT over 6000RPM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

i love my GT3/manual. IMO, it's the best GT car i've ever had. the ability to use the auto-blip or keep it pinned on upshift; or to do it all myself with heel-toe, etc. is unreal. and the balance, grip, dampening, steering feel, etc. are amazing; even the diff feedback is next level. I avoided the Touring spec because i prefer track-focused GT cars and feared Porsche was going to tweak the feel of that car vs. the winged version; i was right. IMO, winged GT3/w manual is going to be a unicorn. they didn't make too many and i think they will make a ton of RS'. the margin on the RS has got to be insane. My GT3 MSRP was $167k. I configured an RS and it was $230k; which for what it is, is fair; but i dont see them keeping that limited; they might make it hard to get allocations; but i see a 2-year production schedule with most who are determined; will get one. but for now, i don't see giving up the shifter for paddles.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have that t-shirt!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:32 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 220 Posts

By my own admission, i've yet to drive a manual .2GT3..On the other hand i have a great deal of experience in driving Porsches as i've either owned or driven dozens over the last twenty years..Amongst my current Porsches, i own a new .2GT3 PDK and a 2016 981 Spyder and i enjoy driving them both equally...I must be rather unique as i love both a great manual and equally a great PDK..I feel my GT3 is perfectly suited to the amazing PDKS, and the Spyder is perfectly suited to the manual 6 speeder.
IMO the Spyder's shifter is the best manual box(equal to GT4) i've ever driven...sheer perfection and you'd have to be extremely ham-fisted to do cause a miss-shift..For people who own both a 981 Spyder and a new manual GT3....how to they compare..?
I ask this as my Spyder exhibits none of the foibles that Chris experiences in his Touring..If it was a less informed opinion by someone less knowledgeable then i wouldn't take it as gospel..I'm wondering whether or not if Chris's Touring is truly typical or is it a sub standard example..
Old 06-07-2018, 04:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ Makes sense!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:43 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
By my own admission, i've yet to drive a manual .2GT3..On the other hand i have a great deal of experience in driving Porsches as i've either owned or driven dozens over the last twenty years..Amongst my current Porsches, i own a new .2GT3 PDK and a 2016 981 Spyder and i enjoy driving them both equally...I must be rather unique as i love both a great manual and equally a great PDK..I feel my GT3 is perfectly suited to the amazing PDKS, and the Spyder is perfectly suited to the manual 6 speeder.
IMO the Spyder's shifter is the best manual box(equal to GT4) i've ever driven...sheer perfection and you'd have to be extremely ham-fisted to do cause a miss-shift..For people who own both a 981 Spyder and a new manual GT3....how to they compare..?
I ask this as my Spyder exhibits none of the foibles that Chris experiences in his Touring..If it was a less informed opinion by someone less knowledgeable then i wouldn't take it as gospel..I'm wondering whether or not if Chris's Touring is truly typical or is it a sub standard example..
I have driven both, the GT3 owner and I agreed that the GT3 had a much notchier shift gate than my GT4.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're going completely in the wrong direction IMO..Henry Catchpole's video above was filmed in my backyard, some of the best motoring country in the world..Why do you think EVO and the rest of the Brit car mags spend so much time there, testing sporty cars..I went for a quick 100 mile drive yesterday afternoon around the Claerwen reservoir in the Elan valley..World class scenery and roads..!
You are smoking if you don't think Chris's route covers some vastly better driving routes than anything wales could dream of offering. Wales is great - for the UK. Compared to some of the austrian/german roads, it's a pale shadow of what a really great road is.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Had a GT4. The .2 GT3 Manual is even better, in my opinion, which i never thought in a million years they could accomplish but they did. It is more sure and has this slight Metallic feel when hitting each gear/shift.- hard to explain
Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
i love my GT3/manual. IMO, it's the best GT car i've ever had. the ability to use the auto-blip or keep it pinned on upshift; or to do it all myself with heel-toe, etc. is unreal. and the balance, grip, dampening, steering feel, etc. are amazing; even the diff feedback is next level. I avoided the Touring spec because i prefer track-focused GT cars and feared Porsche was going to tweak the feel of that car vs. the winged version; i was right. IMO, winged GT3/w manual is going to be a unicorn. they didn't make too many and i think they will make a ton of RS'. the margin on the RS has got to be insane. My GT3 MSRP was $167k. I configured an RS and it was $230k; which for what it is, is fair; but i dont see them keeping that limited; they might make it hard to get allocations; but i see a 2-year production schedule with most who are determined; will get one. but for now, i don't see giving up the shifter for paddles.
One can not say it any better than this.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
- the 5 to 6 up shift where you have to (at least I do) alter your hand position on the knot to make sure you pull back and down to get 6th otherwise you end up in 4th far too easily
Interesting. I've grabbed 6th instead of 4th by accident at least 3 times now on the track. It does not make the car happy.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Had a GT4. The .2 GT3 Manual is even better, in my opinion, which i never thought in a million years they could accomplish but they did. It is more sure and has this slight Metallic feel when hitting each gear/shift.- hard to explain
Thanks for that..I'm just gonna have to get my mitts on a manual GT3 to find out myself..Disclaimer: when i configured mine last Summer, manual wasn't available to spec, unless i'd delayed delivery...
Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

As much as it pains people to admit,pdk is boring as heck,a total snooze fest. Any automatic is the same,it's not just pdk : it makes you old and lazy. It's great for the track where,let's admit it,the majority of us aren't no Senna. The journos can't use this language,but they are basically suggesting the same thing.
Porsche has sold a lot of manual GT3s,you can bet on it : I was at an event with my dealer,there were 4 991.2 GT3s,different colors all manuals. I think they will keep the manual around for a while...
People are nitpicking,nothing new here,it's hard to be consistent when you are changing 25 cars a year...
Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
As much as it pains people to admit,pdk is boring as heck,a total snooze fest. Any automatic is the same,it's not just pdk : it makes you old and lazy. It's great for the track where,let's admit it,the majority of us aren't no Senna. The journos can't use this language,but they are basically suggesting the same thing.
Porsche has sold a lot of manual GT3s,you can bet on it : I was at an event with my dealer,there were 4 991.2 GT3s,different colors all manuals. I think they will keep the manual around for a while...
People are nitpicking,nothing new here,it's hard to be consistent when you are changing 25 cars a year...
AP said it himself- "Flappy paddles are for Grandmas"
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
montoya,

i like the clutch on 7 hated the shifter.
i liek the shifter on GT4/9912GT3 and 991R hated the clutch
one day they will get it right
As usual saying the same thing- with the 4.0 clutch and flywheel the 997.2 was excellent on the track, just that shifter...
But nevertheless the effort was a pain on the street. Looking forward to trying out the new car. 103 days....
Old 06-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It´s fantastic, - it really is. I´m very impressed with the PDK but stand no chance against the manual box in the long run for me. And now with my GT3 Touring it is just insane how good it is. Heel & toe when I want to (almost always) and auto blip when I´m too lazy to bother and practicing superfast fully flat throttle shifts is just hysterical. Best box ever!

Quick Reply: For all you manual romantics out there