Sponsored by:

GT3T vs TTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:43 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Can't say I've seen a lot of 991.1 TTS's collecting dust on dealers lots. Any good example with proper mileage get scooped up fairly quickly.
I was talking about when they were new, not used ones. They have depreciated so heavily now that they're an easier sell as a used car. When they were new they had a reputation for not moving quickly and being very heavily discounted. I didn't realize that the situation had changed for the 991.2 TTS, because when I started shopping for one I was expecting heavy discounts. I talked to 6 dealers, and they couldn't even get me one, let alone give me much of a discount beyond a courtesy discount.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Can't say I've seen a lot of 991.1 TTS's collecting dust on dealers lots. Any good example with proper mileage get scooped up fairly quickly.
Likewise. Almost never see 991.1 Turbos or Ss sitting at local dealerships, unsold.

But I see them all over Los Angeles in everyday use. Ditto for 991.2 Turbos/Ss. And that's the kind of cool thing about the 911 Turbo lately: It is, in some ways, more of a driver's car than the GT3s—people are actually driving them, because they make enough of them that they aren't precious, and because people aren't "collecting" them. They are tools, and really good ones. So...it's really cool to see how many Turbos are actually racking up miles. I wonder what GT3 prices might look like if those cars were seeing similar use and miles rather than collecting dust in garages.

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Turbo S is the best all-in-1 package in the 911 lineup - a good student with A in every category.
GT3 is a focused machine - scores A++ in math and B- in others.
If you know what you want, it is hard to cross shop the 2.
Agree, except I might have picked A+++ in gymnastics AND soccer for the GT3. Or?

Drive one and make the statement. I don't understand where this 'cars without a purpose' comes from. I took extensive test drive on both S, GTS and TTS. No Carrera (S/GTS) can come even close to TTS under full throttle. TTS has this unique mad acceleration that no other 911 can match, except the GT2RS. You can actually feel the difference anytime you accelerate. Interesting though, with the extra power, weight and AWD is something you can hardly feel on the street.
Yep, only under braking—particularly in the wet—does the 991.2 Turbo exhibit its extra bulk. Another tribute to the advances in damper tuning and systems calibration of the last 5-10 years. The fact it doesn't feel techno, or heavy, is the real triumph.

​​​​​​​
991.2 GT3 has improved so much....
​​​​​​​
Also agreed.

Last edited by stout; 06-01-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Fact is, put everyone in this thread into ANY of the cars mention (Curvy road or track) and it'll be all about Experience / Skill Set and the "SACK" to use said amount of Experience / Skill Set.

I used to do laps around rich guys with the extremely modded most expensive sport bikes / track bikes on a completely stock R1 with only a Penske two-way rear shock / fork springs for my weight (heavier that most everyone out there), but my 30+ years of motocross / sport bike riding skill set FAR outweighed their desire to be / go fast on the very best equipment they could afford.

I would venture to say it's the same here in the Porsche world. Rich guy with a 991GT3RS / TTS might get schooled by the barely able to afford a used 997TTS (like me) with the natural desire and skill set to push it Hard!

My point, the O.P. needs to figure out for Himself what HE intends to do with it and honestly weigh his skill set and desire to push a car to its / his limits. That level would be different for everyone in here. IMHO.

Happy Hunting / Motoring to the O.P. , no matter what he lands on with his decision.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Fact is, put everyone in this thread into ANY of the cars mention (Curvy road or track) and it'll be all about Experience / Skill Set and the "SACK" to use said amount of Experience / Skill Set.

I used to do laps around rich guys with the extremely modded most expensive sport bikes / track bikes on a completely stock R1 with only a Penske two-way rear shock / fork springs for my weight (heavier that most everyone out there), but my 30+ years of motocross / sport bike riding skill set FAR outweighed their desire to be / go fast on the very best equipment they could afford.

I would venture to say it's the same here in the Porsche world. Rich guy with a 991GT3RS / TTS might get schooled by the barely able to afford a used 997TTS (like me) with the natural desire and skill set to push it Hard!

My point, the O.P. needs to figure out for Himself what HE intends to do with it and honestly weigh his skill set and desire to push a car to its / his limits. That level would be different for everyone in here. IMHO.

Happy Hunting / Motoring to the O.P. , no matter what he lands on with his decision.

^ See? This is actually what makes the car hobby cool. And gives people a chance to help one another.

To the OP, a lot of folks buy the "it" car (GT3 is very much an "it" car, and for good reason) when they might get more enjoyment—and more of themselves—out of the more approachable car. The Turbo, or even the Carrera GTS or T or base car. They might also be faster in those more approachable cars, because they're more approachable. More importantly, they might have more fun...because they're more approachable.

The good news is there really aren't any "bad" answers right now save maybe a 991 Targa if you're looking for handling past 6-7/10ths—but that really isn't the point of the Targa, which is a seriously nice cruiser that sure is fun up to a pretty good pace.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
^ See? This is actually what makes the car hobby cool. And gives people a chance to help one another.

To the OP, a lot of folks buy the "it" car (GT3 is very much an "it" car, and for good reason) when they might get more enjoyment—and more of themselves—out of the more approachable car. The Turbo, or even the Carrera GTS or T or base car. They might also be faster in those more approachable cars, because they're more approachable. More importantly, they might have more fun...because they're more approachable.

The good news is there really aren't any "bad" answers right now save maybe a 991 Targa if you're looking for handling past 6-7/10ths—but that really isn't the point of the Targa, which is a seriously nice cruiser that sure is fun up to a pretty good pace.

Agreed Sir! Thank you!

It's a great time in life to be driving Any of these options.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool What is "Hip"...

Originally Posted by stout
Yes, or even just get a chance to drive one. They are supremely capable cars, and maybe the best usable supercar the world has yet turned out. Yes, Bugatti etc. But name a more usable car with more usable performance in more situations and more types of weather. So far as I know, it isn't possible.

The big surprise to me was that the latest Turbos are really fun in use, too. I'm not a PDK guy, but I fell in love with the total package. Put 2500 miles on one in fast road and track use, and came to the conclusion that I'd rather have the current 911 Turbo than the last 991.1 GT3 RS...the first time I've liked a Turbo more than a contemporary GT3 since the 996 GT3 arrived. Yes, the Turbo may be overkill, but it's delicious overkill. Ever used a really, really good tool? It's kind of like that. Very different to the GT3, which has now raised its game again and is still a more passionate/exciting car to me, but the Turbo/S is not to be trifled with. We're in an interesting time with the 911, with three very distinct flavors between Carrera, GT3, and Turbo and their various offshoots.
"...but the Turbo/S is not to be trifled with." = Damn I love that phrase! You must be a hip "Boomer" to know that wondrous word "Trifling"
Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shotgun
"...but the Turbo/S is not to be trifled with." = Damn I love that phrase! You must be a hip "Boomer" to know that wondrous word "Trifling"
If you mean Boomer as in generation, I'm afraid I'm about a decade too young to qualify. If you mean "a slang term for hullucinagenic mushrooms containing psilocybin," well, I suppose that term might be applied to a few folks who wander around out here in CA—and particularly Marin—but I ain't one of 'em. More likely, that phrase snuck in while growing up around some literary types, or ending up as an English major, or reading too many issues of EVO in its heyday (or all three...not necessarily in that order!).
Old 06-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Hood Rats love to use the term "Trifling".
Old 06-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
For some reason i dont see the OPs comments before my post... basically question is in title.. self explanatory. My response was id rather have a gts. I dont have the cojones to drive either of these on the street.
cheers
I have all 3 models in my stable (though my GT3 is winged). I usually gravitate to the GTS if I need a car to daily around. It does everything well and doesn’t leave me feeling like I need to make compromises (is this parking ramp going to be too steep? Is this car too flashy to park in this neighborhood?, etc.)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen.
The TT is like Robin Williams or Steve Martin. Good all around comics. Ad lib, props, impressions, wit. Thoroughly professional and a guaranteed good time.
The GT3 is more like a Louis CK or Chris Rock. Laugh out loud shocking and hilarious. Straight-forward, predictable. A tiny bit offensive with equal amounts of love and hate by passerbys.

The question is who can you live with? Will Louis CK be entertaining everyday, or will he get old? Robin Williams is funny, but after awhile, he might just blend in.
It's complicated, fellas.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
After owning a C4S with every performance option ticked, testing a GTS, and now owning a 991.2 GT3 I can assure you that the GT3 is a very different car from the GTS in its overall experience.
couldn’t agree more. The resemblance between the two cars is largely just a cosmetic one. The GT3 is a whole other thing completely
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Traffic53
Listen.
The TT is like Robin Williams or Steve Martin. Good all around comics. Ad lib, props, impressions, wit. Thoroughly professional and a guaranteed good time.
The GT3 is more like a Louis CK or Chris Rock. Laugh out loud shocking and hilarious. Straight-forward, predictable. A tiny bit offensive with equal amounts of love and hate by passerbys.

The question is who can you live with? Will Louis CK be entertaining everyday, or will he get old? Robin Williams is funny, but after awhile, he might just blend in.
It's complicated, fellas.
LOL What a comparison....lol

To each his own I guess.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The part I love above this thread is that having read it start to finish there is no consensus view at all! Perhaps the one exception is that these are all great cars. I’ve gone for the GT3T as the sound and feel of manual + NA trumps just about everything else - and manual + NA is a dying breed, but can equally understand the choices other people have made. I think the best answer to the original question is “it depends”.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

All great cars indeed.
The only thing that would make the TTS even better is if it were naturally aspirated and RWD. LOL Other than that it's perfect.

The absolute pinnacle of perfection is the GT2RS, but sadly, only a minuscule number of people will ever be able to experience one. The 997 GT2 was one of my all-time favorites.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:17 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 991 GT3

I would however purchase a 991 turbo s as a second car although keep the gt3

the suspension geometry far surpasses the turbo variants because of the difference in front strut mounting to accommodate the AWD

Quick Reply: GT3T vs TTS