Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 RS or Huracan for DD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

After 15k on my .1 RS, my biggest complaint is that its not a bigger pain in the *** at low speeds. I kindof want the hassle to remind me regularly that im not "just" in a 911.

I totally think you could DD an RS. Just get axle-lift and a spare splitter from suncoast for like $200
Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,425 Likes on 614 Posts

Dealer network would be my biggest indicator.

Having lived with a Lambo (LP-560 generation) for over 4 years - it was fairly bulletproof but when it needed something under warranty we didn't have a Lambo dealer closer than 225 miles. And they weren't very good in terms of service. Yeah - their truck would pick up/deliver the car but I learned that every time a car is loaded/unloaded from a truck it's subject to little things cracking or breaking (like the fasteners on the shroud or plastic in the wheel wells if the driver wasn't super careful with straps). Plus it had CCB so it was a bit tense thinking of those rotors being subject to improper handling.

I spent quite a bit of time driving in and instructing in Huracans and they are light years better than the LP version we owned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had a good local dealer AND didn't have to park it in places that would make me cringe.

Our Porsche dealer has great service, great techs who really know their stuff, and is very convenient (within 25 min drive).

Cars are easy to buy. The challenge is living with them, and service is a big component of living with any car. We opted not to DIY service (even though we could do simple stuff like oil changes or brake fluid flush) because we wanted the dealer records of service for resale.

When the A/C on the Lambo started to fail - it was a royal PITA and we took it to Lambo, then to our local Porsche/Audi, and eventually I drove it to Boston MA to the Lambo dealer there (I had some high level corporate connections at that dealer) for a final repair. To their credit- Lambo repaired the problem despite being out of warranty, but it was discovered and documented while under warranty. They did the right thing. But what a pain. We sold it and I don't even miss it (except the beauty and sound of the car - it was like sculpture for me and a thing of beauty).

I'd go with Porsche just because it's easier to live with - unless you happen to have an excellent Lambo dealer within reasonable distance. Shipping a car back and forth for service is not anything I care to do again.

Best of luck with your decision. BTW we have a 991 UV RS. Great car. Took a road trip last fall to Asheville Treffen and had a nice time. Better road trip car than expected. Not ideal, and the LWB don't articulate like they did in the last generation (997/987) which means accessing the space behind the front seats is not easy. We packed in small, soft duffles that could slide easily and not scratch the CF (back of seats). We of course filled up the boot and had plenty of space for both our gear for a long weekend, plus enough car detailing products that hubby could keep it as clean as he wanted. The sofas would be a better choice for enjoying on trips especially if roads in your area have lots of potholes (like our roads). We also have front axle lift which comes in handy but not as much as I would have expected. In the Lambo we used it ALL THE TIME and even then sometimes scraped. It's not that it was that much lower. It was the geometry of the nose to the front wheels.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TechnicaGT3
I'd love an 18' GT3 to be honest, but getting one is near impossible and if it IS possible.. 160k MSRP cars are selling for 195+K which is not my cup of tea.

I have a 17' NSX and while I agree it's incredibly comfortable and a "daily worthy" supercar. I miss the visceral drive of something more like something only a Huracan/GT3 can offer.
Well, with one post per year, you are well on your way to Porsche ownership.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by AA68
Honestly neither make good DD. I've owned both and if you're not going to track, I'd probably get another car (maybe regular GT3 w/ sofa if you want a Porsche--or new Urus SUV if you want Lambo).

Can you DD either--yep. Would I? No. Now I say that, but I did find myself driving RS quite a bit and will do same on incoming 2019.

As to losing money, obviously Lambo you can lose your shorts buying new. Porsche for the win there.

The bigger question is do you have other cars in the stable? How long and where is your commute (do you have a long country drive to work or are you in NYC)?

This, and I've had both/have the 991 RS now. Value wise the RS is great though. The audi R8 is a FANTASTIC DD however, even though it shares many traits with the huracan...just find a preowned v10 sport plus and you'll be set.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Huracan is much smoother and more comfortable for DD. In strada mode it's quite tame and quiet. The attention the Huracan gets is a huge drawback IMO. Be ready to get asked question after question (including can I sit in your car?).

I'd have to hand the interior ergonomics to the RS.. That wing though. I wouldn't be able to park the RS anywhere!

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 RS or Huracan for DD?