Sponsored by:

Not OK to let car idle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Is the GT3 a car or Faberge egg? My old construction company we’d have both gas and diesel trucks idle for about half their 250k mile lives so thousands of hours on the engines and no abnormal issues.

So, the GT3 engine is more delicate than a Corolla engine or a 5.3 liter GM truck smallblock?
I've known about not idling engines for years, but most people I know believe their cars need some magical period of time idling to warm up... i stopped trying to get into these conversations as they are about as productive as break-in period ones.

I had a neighbor who had a diesel expedition and would remote start it like an hour before leaving for work, it was maddening.

Why is it that truck operators leave their rigs on for hours idling though??
Old 05-13-2018, 12:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

AC
Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I've known about not idling engines for years, but most people I know believe their cars need some magical period of time idling to warm up... i stopped trying to get into these conversations as they are about as productive as break-in period ones.

I had a neighbor who had a diesel expedition and would remote start it like an hour before leaving for work, it was maddening.

Why is it that truck operators leave their rigs on for hours idling though??
To keep from freezing or boiling. When temps are very cold, it used to be risky to try to start engines that would fail to start due to cold. Safer to keep them running. Diesels don’t use much fuel to idle. Not sure if this is still relevant with today’s technology though.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Manufacturers have been telling their customers to just drive off after start up since the fuel injection has been invented. There's no need to warm up a fuel injected car. Sure,if you've started your car in 20F weather,you can wait for a minute to let the RPMs drop a bit and then you can drive off.
Now when it comes to letting your car idle : it's not the best to have it idling for extended periods of time,especially when it's done on a regular basis-like a police car or a taxi. That will increase wear on the engine in time. But the concern is not valid for the type of idling it is being talked about here : traffic or waiting at the track. And I don't buy the " lack of oil lubrication " while idling either : these engines have several oil pumps,where at least one is computer controlled according to demand. There's no way these engines are missing lubrication while idling!

Here's a thread I found talking about the new GT3 engine :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t3-engine.html
Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
​​​​​​Actually they are way stronger. Did you also spin your diesels to 9000 RPM and corner them at over 1G for hours on end? Probably not. They are engineered for completely different purposes. High RPM-capable engines give up things at the low end... like optimum oil and cooling. Recognize this and you'll get the most out of your machines. Heeding the advice of people who might just know more than you is a strength, not a weakness.
I get your point. I don’t believe in idling an engine to warm it up, but if I’m driving my $160k+ 2018 GT3 around town and I pull into a parking lot and want to finish a Bluetooth call with the air conditioning running for 10 minutes at idle before turning the engine off and the engine can’t handle it, that’s plain ridiculous.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:02 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I get your point. I don’t believe in idling an engine to warm it up, but if I’m driving my $160k+ 2018 GT3 around town and I pull into a parking lot and want to finish a Bluetooth call with the air conditioning running for 10 minutes at idle before turning the engine off and the engine can’t handle it, that’s plain ridiculous.
I'm sure the engine can handle it, but I wouldn't do it regardless of what car I'm driving. I don't answer the phone while driving and, if I were to, I'd feel like an idiot letting my car run just to finish a phone call.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:04 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Sure, if we were talking about Formula 1 cars.
"Some people, we just cant reach."
Old 05-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KM1959
I'm sure the engine can handle it, but I wouldn't do it regardless of what car I'm driving. I don't answer the phone while driving and, if I were to, I'd feel like an idiot letting my car run just to finish a phone call.
I live in TX and I like air conditioning. If the engine blows because I idled it too much, it’s those phone calls that would allow me to throw the car in the trash and go buy a better, more reliable car.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:58 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the GT3 a car or Faberge egg? My old construction company we’d have both gas and diesel trucks idle for about half their 250k mile lives so thousands of hours on the engines and no abnormal issues.
You may not have had issues, but almost all cars and trucks that are let to idle for long periods suffer from fuel dilution. May not be a big deal with a truck that revs to 3k rpm, but with the GT3 engine, I think it may be different. Fuel dilution decreases the effective viscosity of the oil and can also strip away the protective oil film.

Recently TRAKCAR posted his used oil analysis. He had some fuel dilution and his viscosity looked lower than anticipated. They attributed it to fuel dilution.

Here is some info on fuel dilution and causes. It appears that long idling time is one of the causes, and direct injection engines are especially prone to it.
http://oil-synthetic.com/2017/02/22/...-on-an-engine/
Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

This is what happens when buyers buy a car thinking they will keep it forever. They get **** and beginning to stress over ever trivial issues which rarely of ever develop to anything. Enjoy the car. It's a Porsche. If **** happens, consider it a price of ownership.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I want to keep purple forever...
30K mike oil change next week. Will Post Blackstone Lab report.

had to add 200cc oil today, first time in a long time.

Interior got soaked at Sebring today, from driving in the rain with windows down

Old 05-15-2018, 12:26 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

^ So totally absurd. Even PCA and BMWCCA have caved in the past here when it (rarely) rains and allow windows up.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

When I first started DE's 20 years ago, I had an instructor tell me not to put my elbow on the window sill because the sweat in my arm would damage the leather...LOL, there are some crazy **** people in the world that will invent all kinds of nutball details to fixate over!

Drive your car and enjoy it!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
funny. the PEC ATL instructor also told me the EXACT same thing on Thursday.....
Funny, when i was there they let the cars run/idle for 15-20 mins min............
Old 05-16-2018, 12:51 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Also, was reading the official oil change procedure and the engines idle for several minutes at the dealership during each oil change as they have to get the old and fresh oil to operating temp.

I’m going to call my dealer service department and tell them they are doing irreparable damage to the engine during this process. 😛

Quick Reply: Not OK to let car idle?