Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time GT3 owner question here...clutch chatter/grinding at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

you really want to get raw? Try a Cup
Old 06-27-2018, 03:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Totally agree)))))))) all relatively speaking......
Old 06-27-2018, 04:26 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Mine's just as noisy and chattery as it's always been. That's what made me think of this. I've got over 5k kms on it and took it out a bit last night. Listening to it, I thought "I know it's fine... but what IS that??"

Originally Posted by jlanka
I understand the noises that straight cut gears make. Is it more than that? I mean... all the clattering of little bits of stuff thrown around in the wheel wells is just good fun and I expect there's more of that in a Cup car. And no mufflers...

Ok. I'm game! Who's got a Cup car to lend me??
Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Mine's just as noisy and chattery as it's always been. That's what made me think of this. I've got over 5k kms on it and took it out a bit last night. Listening to it, I thought "I know it's fine... but what IS that??"

I understand the noises that straight cut gears make. Is it more than that? I mean... all the clattering of little bits of stuff thrown around in the wheel wells is just good fun and I expect there's more of that in a Cup car. And no mufflers...

Ok. I'm game! Who's got a Cup car to lend me??
I DE this one (997.1). What a blast with the Sequential stick and all that goodness...

Old 06-27-2018, 05:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Mine is a PDK and made all those "symphonic" noises.......there was a BIG difference between when I picked it up with less than 10 miles and now at about 400........much quieter, but still has those raw sounds you describe, just lower in decibels.........
Or it's exactly the same( maybe even louder) and you've simply become accustomed to this symphony- called GT3...
Likely it's the latter!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Mine is a PDK and made all those "symphonic" noises.......there was a BIG difference between when I picked it up with less than 10 miles and now at about 400........much quieter, but still has those raw sounds you describe, just lower in decibels.........
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Or it's exactly the same( maybe even louder) and you've simply become accustomed to this symphony- called GT3...
Likely it's the latter!
I'm with ablazis. I picked it up with 15 delivery miles, and it had that "marbles in a can" sound. It got quieter as I approached the 2,000 mile break in. Took it to the track with 2,300 miles on the clock: 2 weekends, 6 days total. Then it DEFINITELY got quieter on the street afterwards. Now it sounds like marbles in an INSULATED can!

And to answer Wild Weasel's question, as localmotion says the sound is the " Porsche Dynamic Marble Kann (PDMK)" LOL!!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:27 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I have a 6-speed. And I actually feel like the car is getting louder the more I drive it. I doubt it actually is. More likely I'm just noticing small sounds and idiosyncrasies the more I get used to the car. Like I've noticed that before the car is warmed up, if I'm going really slow and put the clutch in, I hear a sort of spring-like chattering gear noise for a second and then it dies off. Something to do with the clutch or throw-out bearing or a spring or something, I'm sure. Once the car is warmed up, it's not as loud (but still there). First month of ownership I didn't notice this sound at all.

Car drives fine, so I'm not worried lol

Oh, you know what it might be is just the gearing in the transmission coming to a stop since there's no power connected to it through the clutch. Must be chatter as the gears stop. Personally, I LOVE all the cool mechanical sounds and whines and growls. Makes driving the car feel special. If I wanted refined, I'd have gotten a Lexus or something.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:20 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

OP,

i do do not have a PDK but do own a MT .2 GT3. It has almost no chatter compared to the PDK .1 GT3RS I own. However the engine in the GT3 makes more noise than the RS engine does. I would suggest you see the dealer about it as some here have suggested already. It's hard to say what is normal chatter and what is grind.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm with ablazis. I picked it up with 15 delivery miles, and it had that "marbles in a can" sound. It got quieter as I approached the 2,000 mile break in. Took it to the track with 2,300 miles on the clock: 2 weekends, 6 days total. Then it DEFINITELY got quieter on the street afterwards. Now it sounds like marbles in an INSULATED can!

And to answer Wild Weasel's question, as localmotion says the sound is the " Porsche Dynamic Marble Kann (PDMK)" LOL!!
Easy solution: SharkWerks! (or similar equivalent)

Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ad2330
Hey there -

Just picked up the gt3 and have driven minimal miles. However, I have a question. When the car is at idle, it makes a LOT of noise, and ones that aren't particularly flattering. It's a ton of clutch chatter and almost grinding type noises. Sounds really rough, quite frankly.

Now, when the car warms up to temp, it settles down a bit, but never completely goes away.

I assume this is normal activity for these cars, being that they're pretty raw mechanically?

I have a PDK, mind you.

Thanks for any and all feedback. It's just getting my attention as it's a noisy bugger!

sounds perfect !!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Another one of the reasons why I prefer the PDK. There is none of this slow speed chatter in a manual.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

All of our cars are broken. They’re supposed to be quiet, but Porsche messed them all up during the assembly process.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
crbiker
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by avc2014
It reminds me of the dry clutches in Ducatis and I love it !
Ditto! I still remember sitting at my first stop light in the RS listening to that wonderful clatter and thinking the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: First time GT3 owner question here...clutch chatter/grinding at idle?