Interesting video on the GT3 RS run at the Ring from Misha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSE-MFxj1x0
I love this guy ! thanks for posting...
Old 04-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
White or red one by chance? Might have seen you on the track and well said, thanks for sharing your input.

I agree with isv that 25 sec just seems like a quantum leap from .1 to .2 taken on its face without more. Not bashing/discrediting the .2 3RS, I have no horse in this race, but I'd like a little more substance and dissection/analysis of how/why the .2 was 25 seconds faster which is why I appreciate the discussion here. Regardless it's an impressive accomplishment and feat by the best car company in the world
you were in Imola?? would have been nice to meet up!
I drove the red one.

I wouldn't care so much about the 25 sec...if I remember correctly 991.1 was never tested properly at Ring, the long winter and the period with works and speed limits after that mortal crash during a GT race didn't leave many occasions for the right attempt, surely the performance could be better.
Let's start from the lap time of .2GT3 (which is not faster than a .1RS on track as everybody doing trackdays knows)...more hp, more aero, more rubber, less weight some other stuff...and a sub 7.00 make more sense right?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:38 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Just spoken to journalist who has just driven the .2 RS. It’s a quantum leap.
Interesting. Also curious in that video you posted the guy refers to a 7:12 lap time for the .1 RS. ?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Interesting. Also curious in that video you posted the guy refers to a 7:12 lap time for the .1 RS. ?
i think he was confused with the GT3.2 which posted a 7:12.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:56 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

Good point, forgot about that.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante
.if I remember correctly 991.1 was never tested properly at Ring, the long winter and the period with works and speed limits after that mortal crash during a GT race didn't leave many occasions for the right attempt, surely the performance could be better.
That always gets bandied around but yet SportAuto only managed a 7:28 (7:32 but with 4s adjustment for the speed restrictions), admittedly in I believe very warm track conditions. That doesn't really seem to suggest a factory time much faster than 7:20? For a car like the RS, I can't believe Porsche would not have returned to the 'ring for another attempt if they truly thought that the time wasn't pretty close. For whatever reason (track getting quicker, tyres improving etc), the times now are definitely having a big step compared to say 2015-ish times when it used to take years for anything like the current jumps in time.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
That always gets bandied around but yet SportAuto only managed a 7:28 (7:32 but with 4s adjustment for the speed restrictions), admittedly in I believe very warm track conditions. That doesn't really seem to suggest a factory time much faster than 7:20? For a car like the RS, I can't believe Porsche would not have returned to the 'ring for another attempt if they truly thought that the time wasn't pretty close. For whatever reason (track getting quicker, tyres improving etc), the times now are definitely having a big step compared to say 2015-ish times when it used to take years for anything like the current jumps in time.
Maybe.
To be sincere I don't take (anymore) too much seriously official ring lap times, a good lap became very important in driving buyers' choices and car makers began investing a lot to achieve a good result, often and often by stacking the deck.
In an ideal world, where one can try a .2GT3RS and buy if he likes...everybody would just care about his sensations behind the steering wheel and we wouldn't spend a minute in this kind of discussions

Last edited by Dante; 04-18-2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe.
To be sincere I don't take (anymore) too much seriously official ring lap times, a good lap became very important in driving buyers' choices and car makers began investing a lot to achieve a good result, often and often by stacking the deck.
In an ideal world, where one can try a .2GT3RS and buy if he likes...everybody would just care about his sensations behind the steering wheel and we wouldn't spend a minute in this kind of discussions
Yep definitely agreed there.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxers12
Difference between RS.1 and .2 is not surprising to me based mainly on the difference in the engine. My experience on track (I drive a wolf single seat) is that the new GT3 motor is so much better than the GT3RS.1. In straights I can pull away from old GT3 and GT3RS.1. The new GT3 I cannot, in fact it pulls me in long straights. (In the turns a totally different issue) The torque range on new motor is amazing and I also believe the HP on both GT3 and new RS .2 is underrated. When you add this to all the other tweeks to the new RS it makes sense.
Got it. Again I hope this is correct. The devil is in the RS tweeks though. As compared to the .2 GT3 = +20 hp, -4mph top end, + 7 torque, -.04 sec 1/4 mile, - 2 sec 0-60, both, same weight. An amazing engineering feat regardless. The deltas between the GT3 and GT2 are much greater. Guess it might be aero..... and point of diminishing return.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:56 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You can throw in all the aftermarket mods, but you cannot buy Porsche fairy dust.
Well you can but is cheaper to get the new R.S. and it's not fairy dust, it is a massive number of small changes that alone might not be relevant but whole they make the car much better. Imagine if you could shed 1 gram out of every small part the car has and 10 grams out of every big part. You would end up with some big savings overall. This is what Porsche does.
But you can slap together headers, tractive competition coilovers sorted with all the adjacent bits and bobs (arms, solid bushings, etc), a bit of weight shaving, fi-r or even the magnesium wheels, these michelin tires and you wouldn't be far from a .2 rs, hell, you might just be faster.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by KBS911
Got it. Again I hope this is correct. The devil is in the RS tweeks though. As compared to the .2 GT3 = +20 hp, -4mph top end, + 7 torque, -.04 sec 1/4 mile, - 2 sec 0-60, both, same weight. An amazing engineering feat regardless. The deltas between the GT3 and GT2 are much greater. Guess it might be aero..... and point of diminishing return.
no, not the same weight specially in US (gorilla glass) same config will always be lighter on the .2rs. The curb weight shown is not the lightest spec possible like before, but accounts extras, i would guess ac and pcm at least. So, I think (following the previous logic) a normal spec 2.rs will be as light as a .1 rs in the lightest spec. Aero is very relevant here too. And the software updates to rws and ediff. Anyone with an m3 can know how much differebce software does on driving (update to gts software).
Old 04-19-2018, 03:36 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

thx Dante!

i´m really interested in the first comparisions from .1GT3RS drivers.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Maybe.
You don't do a good lap on a sedated car, plus the rs is s track car so it would be stupid to leave aside track times, that's quite literally half of what it needs to do well lol.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe.
It really is pretty academic, VW is the only OEM with a big factory funded Ring program - the competitors don't do it and if they do it is nowhere near the same extent. Only a marginally useful comparison for generation to generation and if you're waiting for the Ring time to order a car you're not getting one.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

^ Agreed

The only reason why I'm fascinated with the Ring times personally is for the reason of comparing new gen to prior gen of 911 GT to see the result of the improvements/R&D, which even then isn't apples to apples (I am still stupefied/refusing to accept the 25 sec difference 991.1 and .2 3RS difference lol, it was only 12 sec from .1 to .2 GT3 and I thought that was a bigger leap than between the RS gens)

Otherwise it's Porsche marketing at it's finest The difference could be 2.5 minutes between the cars and I am still convinced that the driver matters infinitely more than the cars...I now believe and accept this from first hand experience

Quick Reply: 991.2 3RS Ring time..............