Sponsored by:

Tranny Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:13 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Good article and quite true.. it really was the power of the American enthusiast market demand which kept bmw with a manual for a while, and now Porsche backtracking...

I for one couldn't imagine my gt3 without a manual... very engaging, very smooth and easy to operate in traffic, lightening fast when needed, I'm in love. pdk for track is perfect, but on-road feels video-gamey.. boring. Loving my 6 speed. It's still not as fun to drive as my Spyder in close to street-legal speeds, but being able to shift manually in the gt3 goes a long way towards bringing some engagement back when dealing with the "driving a fast car slow" situation.

Looks like most of the market agrees judging by orders places and ADM's.
I had a 991.1 GT3 and currently have a GT4, and sure while the PDK was fun on track, I thought the manual was even more fun. On the street the PDK was so boring / clunky. Trying to drive in an engaging way with the paddles on the road felt forced and yes very video game. Personal preference of course... the .1 was my first automatic transmission car ever.

I missed the power of the 3, so I have a .2 that arrives in a few weeks in (you guessed it) manual. And it’ll be mostly track with occasional weekend drives...
Old 04-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

I had a 991.1 GT3 and currently have a GT4, and sure while the PDK was fun on track, I thought the manual was even more fun. On the street the PDK was so boring / clunky. Trying to drive in an engaging way with the paddles on the road felt forced and yes very video game. Personal preference of course... the .1 was my first automatic transmission car ever.

I missed the power of the 3, so I have a .2 that arrives in a few weeks in (you guessed it) manual. And it’ll be mostly track with occasional weekend drives...
Are you concerned about not being able to hit the PDK lap times?
Old 04-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thinker23

Are you concerned about not being able to hit the PDK lap times?
There is virtually no difference in a well-driven MT vs PDK on the track. Theoretical delta is just a couple tenths of a second per lap for a professional driver, and I’m still seconds off of a professional’s time.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

I like pdk
liss me to surf RL while driving

I drive a stick when mowing lawn with porsche diesel tractor

Old 04-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33

There is virtually no difference in a well-driven MT vs PDK on the track. Theoretical delta is just a couple tenths of a second per lap for a professional driver, and I’m still seconds off of a professional’s time.
Other than the laptime posted for Willow Springs on another thread, do we have other lap times comparing MT and PDK? Lap times between 991.1 GT3 PDK and 911R shows seconds difference on fastestlaps.com

Old 04-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

I just got back from a drive and I've done my first 1k miles and hit the zone of 9k nirvana in my manual GT3. In the early days I was in two minds about my decision to go with a manual.

THE MANUAL IS SUBLIME! I LOVE THE THING!

Engagement at an elevated level, and dare I say it.... for me its FANTASTIC AND PERFECT!

The way I feel about the transmission now is that even if I was tracking heavily, I would still get a GT3 with a manual transmission!

If its PDK one wants, get the RS...if you can get one.

Last edited by Haku; 04-01-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Other than the laptime posted for Willow Springs on another thread, do we have other lap times comparing MT and PDK? Lap times between 991.1 GT3 PDK and 911R shows several second difference on fastestlaps.com

No need for comparative lap times... math alone on how many up shifts happen per lap along with how little impact longer shift times have on overall time to cover distance reveals that the theoretical difference is incredibly small.

Now, it’s certaibly easier to put not the PDK in Sport Auto and jam around track than pick the perfect gear in every turn in the MT. But the challenge with the MT is the fun part!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Other than the laptime posted for Willow Springs on another thread, do we have other lap times comparing MT and PDK? Lap times between 991.1 GT3 PDK and 911R shows seconds difference on fastestlaps.com

At Hockenheim, the 911R is faster than the 991.1 GT3 PDK-S with same driver:

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim-short

And while not published, official Porsche test driver Timo Kluck (who set the 7:12 laptime with the 991.2 GT3 PDK) said the Manual is only 3 sec slower on the Ring...
The following users liked this post:
Bobby 911 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Long story short, I went and got an RS so there was no choice but to get a PDK. Again, I’ve been a manual guy all my life so was genuinely curios how it would feel like and whether I would miss the manual experience.

Do I have regrets getting the PDK? The answer is no. Personally, I think the car is just so capable and PDK is just so fast that it is the logical fit. I remember a video by Randy Pobst saying that PDK brings track driving to a new level or something to that effect. I plan to bring the car to the track soon and expect to reinforce this conclusion chasing lap times.

Do I want a manual car in my stable? The answer is yes. I still have an E92 M3 with manual transmission as my daily driver. I never loved that particular transmission since it was always notchy. I am a decent driver on track and can do 1:45 at L. Seca in the M3. Fast, smooth heel and toe is second nature to me. If I were to get a replacement daily driver it would most likely still be a manual transmission car with lower horse power (GT4 ) This combo makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: Tranny Regrets