evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
you can daily drive anything. ....lol.
Ain’t that the truth.

Let’s see:

1979 international scout II. No roof, needed a squirt of carb cleaner to start, 400k plus on the clock. Daily drove it. Goggles and a parka.
1994 Defender 90. No roof (I see a pattern here) ran like a champ, bought it back after I sold it, drove it daily and I could finally afford a tarp to keep the snow and rain out ... when I remembered to throw it on. Still have her now that I bought her back. Still running great, but no longer a daily. And she has a roof.
2006 Lotus Elise. Daily driven. Snow, ice, salt, threw snow tires on it, bought tire rack $18 brake pads, was pilloried on lotustalk, did not care. Put 50k plus on her in a few years until I put her on her roof. Man I miss that car. Some guy in Lithuania bought her off the auction (after Allstate rep misquoted me the buyback so I passed on keeping her) and fixed her up. Need to buy her back ....

I suppose I should start dailying the GT3, but I have some other toys which I love too.
The following users liked this post:
mohawk5010 (04-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Exactly, and traffic patterns are yet another factor in determining what I drive to work. Just last Thursday, I was love-tapped in my GTS on Lincoln Blvd in Santa Monica. For those who know LA, Lincoln is bumper to bumper from pretty much 6 am until 10 pm Monday through Saturday. Very subtle damage but needs a new bumper. Driving my Touring in bumper to bumper traffic in LA on a daily basis vastly increases my risk of getting it in an accident. I'd much rather churn out the miles in the canyons, back roads and on the highway. One is never safe in driving the streets, back roads and highways of So Cal (as an orthopaedic surgeon, I have seen it all) and for me, it has to factor in to when and where I drive my Touring.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
AlexCeres (03-24-2020), destaccado (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 324 Likes on 199 Posts

Super small sample size I am aware but I've been doing the short commute to/from the office (4 miles roughly) in my GT3 RS this week and it works just fine for me. Surprised at how well it handles crappy road conditions and of course being a 911 the visibility, seating position, and overall dimensions of the car are perfect. Sure you get a bunch of looks (because racecar) and the LWBS aren't the best in terms of ingress/egress but otherwise it is a delightful car to drive around town. Not to mention the rush of a rip up through 1st/2nd gears here and there.

For clarity my opinion would likely be different if I had to sit on a highway for any amount of time... and should mention I also drive my Macan in the rain/snow as I like to keep the fast cars clean.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 539 Posts

I waited a year for the PDK GT3...drove it daily for 4 months and sold for a TTS....no regrets....for many of the reasons posted previously....nice short term drama driving but not for everyday...
Old 03-22-2020, 10:24 PM
Plantar Flexion
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
All i can say is that this car can handle north eastern German winter weather just fine. Snow & ice?.. no problem, weight of the motor provides a slow pendulum effect which is easily catchable... nice controllable drifts from the alps all the way back to Leipzig. just pop some M+S tires on it and you're good.
Hey what color is this??
Old 03-23-2020, 04:05 PM
DarthBalls
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had my GT3 for a little over a year and my thought process when I bought it was for it to be a DD. I typically drive it to the office 3-4 days a week, if raining it stays in the garage as the Cup 2's aren't the best things in the wet. 15 months later, I still love driving the car everyday when possible but I kept my 3 series as my backup DD. My GT3 has the full buckets and I find them to be incredibly comfortable, some don't like them other than for track use, but I find them to be very comfortable, just a little more work to get in an out.

As others have noted, the ride is more stiff than a Turbo, there are more sounds and noises coming from just about everywhere, but that is part of the joy to the car. Yes, the Turbo is the better daily, more usable rev range/torque, more comfortable and quiet. Both 911's but they are really different.
I always loved the sounds of hearing a GT3, and then driving it only amplified that for me. It does beg to be driven hard, and rapping through a couple gears will get you potentially locked up, but nothing starts or ends my day any better than getting in this car and driving it.

As you think about the process I'll leave you with this..On my test drive (as my only real prior experience with GT3's were on tracks) we started off going down some rough/bad roads, I actually had my bubble burst a little bit as I thought, wow! I'm not sure I can really DD this thing But i sat on it for a few days and as more time went by the more I actually loved what it was. I've not looked back and god willing, I'll always have some GT variant car in my garage!
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:10 PM
nsquared8
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really debating on this as well, thinking of a 992 carrera S, 7-speed manual or a 991.2 GT3 as a DD.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I've got 10,000 miles on mine

Buckets

Step 1 ditch the sport cups, put on ps4. It's a game changer

I use it for everything, drive on construction sites, daughter eats in it..

Honestly one of my favorite cars I've ever owned to daily
Old 03-23-2020, 08:06 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Only family car for better part of a year. Dog goes in it. Bikes (road and dirt) go on it or in it. Grocery getter ,d'uh. Home Depot runs. Dump runs. Skis have been on it. It has been on snow. It has been on sand. Boxes have been strapped to it. It has been Coast to Coast USA 4 times. I'd say yeah, it can be done.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nsquared8
Really debating on this as well, thinking of a 992 carrera S, 7-speed manual or a 991.2 GT3 as a DD.
For a DD the 992 Carrera S PDK is the car. I spent about an hour driving one last month and it is a blast and I would say faster than the .2 and you can still "chip" the car if you need more.

But - for the weekends- no substitute for the .2

Quick Reply: GT3 as a daily driver?