Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I used to daily 997RS, on the 991 I pile on the miles so fast I bought a DD so I don't run out of warranty before the car is 4 years old.

As soon as it's 4 years old I plan to sell current DD and make it my DD.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I used to daily 997RS, on the 991 I pile on the miles so fast I bought a DD so I don't run out of warranty before the car is 4 years old.

As soon as it's 4 years old I plan to sell current DD and make it my DD.
Daily a 997RS?
Did we just become best friends?! YUP!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

^^Hahh.
Even the 4.0 but I’m not that tough, short commute on smooth Florida roads
Old 08-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Jerryk14
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
I've always been a fan of the aesthetics, sound, and allure of the 991 GT3. That being said (and probably because I'm not thinking logically), I am considering one for a daily driver. From a value standpoint I am looking at 991.1s. I currently own a well optioned 981 BS that I enjoy and drive about 10-12k miles a year (80% highway). I love this car but I've always lusted for a GT car.. I don't track my current car, but with a GT3 I would also consider motor sport use, but again the main purpose would be to drive it daily. In this regard, I would try to find one with 18 way sofas, sound package plus, and lift because I feel these features would augment daily usability. I usually listen to music, NPR, or talk on the bluetooth and from what I gather it seems I should be able to enjoy normal commuting with these activities in the GT3--again I only have had limited seat time. For those that own the car or have experience I wanted to know if daily driving the car is practical or if you would or would not recommend it.

Furthermore, I understand there were issues with the early 2014 models that were later addressed and a seemingly generous warranty has been provided. IMO, this 10 year 120k warranty coupled with the dropping prices seems to be a pretty good value. I figure if I can purchase one (prices seem to be in the 120-130k) also with CPO then I should be good from a warranty front for a while and if I keep the car for 4-5 years and add about 50k miles the residual would still be higher than a similarly priced 991.X S/GTS and possibly Turbo. Does this thought process also make sense?
Did you get the GT3 and use it
as a daily driver? Recommend?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

Reasons I don’t daily my GT3:
- engine begs for > 5K rpm, when above 5K rpm for any length of time, everyone either wants to race me or thinks I’m a douche!
- compromised rear visibility
- not ideal for the myriad of road conditions I encounter (NY/NJ)
- no backup rear camera (yes I can AM but, no)
- need functional rear seats
- Costco runs for a family? No do!
- for me, absence makes the heart grow fonder!
- why subject the car to the crappy daily grind of commuting hell and all the cell phone pre-occupied mindless motorists out there
- there are simply too many other cars out there better suited for DD duties

Reason I would daily my GT3:
- Every drive brings a combination of euphoria, joy, smiles and a certain satisfaction to me (especially north of 7K rpm). Alas, see above.
The following 4 users liked this post by Akunob:
AlexCeres (03-23-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-31-2019), thats_not_my_job (06-07-2024), typehxr1 (12-29-2021)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:36 PM
eldy80
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what your commute is but it seems to be a waste to sit in stop and go traffic and nothing but straight roads in the GT3. I'd rather hop in the 5 series with auto hold at lights.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

My PDK GTS is a much better DD (for me) than my GT3T. I drove my GT3T 350 miles from LA to Santa Cruz this morning. Many, many smiles per mile. Driving the PDK GTS in bumper to bumper traffic? No problem. Driving my 500 hp, manual GT3T in LA's hellish bumper to bumper traffic? #nothanks
The following users liked this post:
Akunob (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 12:03 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

As a true daily, including winter, with potentially winter tires and new Centerlocks, that would probably stink...low to the ground as well. When I stand next to the GT3 in the garage- the car looks awesome and the ride height is part of it. But as a DD...that would be tough. My car has the 18-way seats- but I drive it about 1/2 time. I have a Jeep for the other 1/2.

As a DD- maybe a 991.1 TTS?

But don't misunderstand- the GT3 is an awesome car and I feel great to own one.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:15 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in the same camp as Chance. I have a Golf R with snow tires for winter and grocery trips. I have a Suburban for the big hauling.

I drive the GT3 to work pretty much every day and do a road trip each month thru the summer/fall. It is very easy as a daily, unless you have the buckets. My buddy gets out of his at work and he looks like he slept in his clothes and has scuffs all over the doors from having to mountain climb out of the seat with his dress shoes! LOL!

Forget driving in snow. Just don't do it. Get a GTI or R and be done with it.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 AM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
I'm in the same camp as Chance. I have a Golf R with snow tires for winter and grocery trips. I have a Suburban for the big hauling.

I drive the GT3 to work pretty much every day and do a road trip each month thru the summer/fall. It is very easy as a daily, unless you have the buckets. My buddy gets out of his at work and he looks like he slept in his clothes and has scuffs all over the doors from having to mountain climb out of the seat with his dress shoes! LOL!

Forget driving in snow. Just don't do it. Get a GTI or R and be done with it.
agree, get a Golf R prior new ones sold out. Production will stop by 2020.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:24 AM
GT3CupMR
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 991.2 GT3 with the full Dundon system and loud muffler. I have have the carbon bucket seats with the brackets to give it more comfort. That being said, of course the sofas will be more comfortable. I would only suggest the buckets if you are going to track the car. If you track the car, I would suggest getting a roll bar and a harness so you are not getting moved around in corners. The 6 speed manual is absolutely amazing if you like driving manual cars. Paired with the numeric shifter and cables& Dundon full exhaust system, it takes driver enjoyment to a 14 out of ten.

I strongly advise you to daily a GT3. Especially one with a manual transmission. If you don’t track the car, you won’t fully appreciate the capabilities but you still will get a good amount of enjoyment. If you can get a hold of a touring version, you can be rest assured that your made a solid purchase.
Porsche911GTS'16 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
I've always been a fan of the aesthetics, sound, and allure of the 991 GT3. That being said (and probably because I'm not thinking logically), I am considering one for a daily driver. From a value standpoint I am looking at 991.1s. I currently own a well optioned 981 BS that I enjoy and drive about 10-12k miles a year (80% highway). I love this car but I've always lusted for a GT car.. I don't track my current car, but with a GT3 I would also consider motor sport use, but again the main purpose would be to drive it daily. In this regard, I would try to find one with 18 way sofas, sound package plus, and lift because I feel these features would augment daily usability. I usually listen to music, NPR, or talk on the bluetooth and from what I gather it seems I should be able to enjoy normal commuting with these activities in the GT3--again I only have had limited seat time. For those that own the car or have experience I wanted to know if daily driving the car is practical or if you would or would not recommend it.

Furthermore, I understand there were issues with the early 2014 models that were later addressed and a seemingly generous warranty has been provided. IMO, this 10 year 120k warranty coupled with the dropping prices seems to be a pretty good value. I figure if I can purchase one (prices seem to be in the 120-130k) also with CPO then I should be good from a warranty front for a while and if I keep the car for 4-5 years and add about 50k miles the residual would still be higher than a similarly priced 991.X S/GTS and possibly Turbo. Does this thought process also make sense?
The only thing that makes my 991.2 GT3 a worse driver than my 991.1 C2S was is getting in and out of the optional buckets.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:47 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
My PDK GTS is a much better DD (for me) than my GT3T. I drove my GT3T 350 miles from LA to Santa Cruz this morning. Many, many smiles per mile. Driving the PDK GTS in bumper to bumper traffic? No problem. Driving my 500 hp, manual GT3T in LA's hellish bumper to bumper traffic? #nothanks

This is a GT3 vs Carrera question and both options are available on both cars.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Mr. Destaccado - Thanks for the clarification that I did not need. I am aware of that fact that the GT3 comes both in PDK and manual and I understand what this thread is about. Anyway, I have driven the GT3 in PDK and yes, a PDK GT3 would be more daily driveable (to me) than my manual GT3 but either way, for numerous reasons, I do not find the GT3 as practical for daily driving as my PDK GTS. After I get more seat time in my GT3T (I’m at 1,500 miles), I plan on starting a thread comparing my 991.1 PDK GTS cab and my GT3T. Several RL’ers have voiced interest in my discussing the differences between the cars since I own both and since the GTS is often mentioned as the ‘sweet spot’ between the Carrera and the GT3. Stay tuned...
Old 09-04-2019, 02:40 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

you can daily drive anything. I mean this isn't some BAC Mono or Ariel Atom we're talking about... its a 911. People drive carreras all day every day.

The question is if its worth it to you. To me its not.... If i daily drove it i'd probably end up hitting some debris on the road/highway, or getting a door ding, paint scratch. I'd obsess over it. Take it to a paint shop, and then the paint wouldn't match 100% (some paints are just nearly impossible to match like the mineral white on M3s). Thats why i keep my 458 and M3 in the garage usually, and take a 10 year old civic to work lol.
Porsche911GTS'16 (09-04-2019)

Quick Reply: GT3 as a daily driver?