Sponsored by:

Motor Trend Head 2 Head: AMG GTR vs GT3 PDK vs GT3 M

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:00 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Nothing here surprises me. Took my .2 Manual out for a drive yesterday. This engine is the best NA I have ever driven to date. Burning no oil and zero smoke on start-up. It is a freakin beast and w/the GRP Bypass it sounds sick. Started opening her up and ****-this car fast and you need to be careful because it will bite you if you do not pay attention.

And - do not buy all the BS that this engine was made for PDK. That is such a line of crap it makes me laugh when the .1 PDK guys say this. They had a Manual and PDK for the .1 but decided not to go with the Manual. This Manual in the .2 is a perfect match for this engine.

Will never sell this car. Going to drive it until I am old and can not physically drive any more
My sentiment is the same.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:19 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy Pobst on the manual: “Way more difficult to do a perfect lap with the manual transmission. I seem to end up halfway between gears a lot, and it was easier to destabilize the car in the brake zone. It’s tricky to do the brake and entry perfectly when there’s a downshift in there. It’s much trickier to throw a downshift at it than not to. It’s reminiscent of what we have to deal with, with manual transmissions, having to decide what gear you need, and it takes more practice to do it perfectly in one lap. I didn’t get into the magic zone like I did with the PDK, maybe because of the extra work.”

But he went on to say, "The shifter is great. It is very accurate, light. It has that slick, Teflon, mechanical feel. Never worried about getting the wrong gear. The only trouble was trying to be as perfect when I have to change gears.”

I haven't watched the video but that quote was from the Motor Trend review. I'm not at all dissing the manual. I have the manual and wouldn't change a thing. Given that lap times don't put food on my table, I look forward to the "extra work."
Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

As much as I love the Manual- no doubt it is easier to drive this car fast with PDK. For me not as enjoyable but easier. Also easier to grab a coffee at Starbucks and drive with PDK and not worry about spilling
Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
Randy Pobst on the manual: “Way more difficult to do a perfect lap with the manual transmission. I seem to end up halfway between gears a lot, and it was easier to destabilize the car in the brake zone. It’s tricky to do the brake and entry perfectly when there’s a downshift in there. It’s much trickier to throw a downshift at it than not to. It’s reminiscent of what we have to deal with, with manual transmissions, having to decide what gear you need, and it takes more practice to do it perfectly in one lap. I didn’t get into the magic zone like I did with the PDK, maybe because of the extra work.”

But he went on to say, "The shifter is great. It is very accurate, light. It has that slick, Teflon, mechanical feel. Never worried about getting the wrong gear. The only trouble was trying to be as perfect when I have to change gears.”

I haven't watched the video but that quote was from the Motor Trend review. I'm not at all dissing the manual. I have the manual and wouldn't change a thing. Given that lap times don't put food on my table, I look forward to the "extra work."
From reading that, it seems pretty clear that Randy didn't use the Auto Rev Matching. I'm not suggesting that one should use it, but if the issues mentioned concern anyone then they will largely evaporate when using that function (downshifts just as smooth as PDK and the chassis is not upset at all going into a corner)
Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
From reading that, it seems pretty clear that Randy didn't use the Auto Rev Matching. I'm not suggesting that one should use it, but if the issues mentioned concern anyone then they will largely evaporate when using that function (downshifts just as smooth as PDK)
Remember Andrew at HPR? The manual is a handful. I don’t believe he was using rev matching either.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I heard of some porsche enthusiast in my area who actually bought both cars manual and pdk.....win win Baller status imo. Both great cars, the manual is great but that doesn't mean pdk is not fun and engaging as well.
In my case I had no choice but go with pdk but even if I did and chose pdk it doesn't mean it would have be the wrong choice just because of the "if you don't get paid to drive go with manual" saying that has now quickly becoming a cliche around here.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Remember Andrew at HPR? The manual is a handful. I don’t believe he was using rev matching either.
Andrew doesn't use any of the nannies (PSM, TC, Rev-Match, etc.). He was purposely being Driftmeister (and having lots of fun at it). I never had the sense that he ever got unintentionally out of shape (at least when I was riding along). Without any of the nannies, he still beat my personal best by a wide margin

I usually use all that stuff (except in my 73 which has none).
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Also depends a bit which one he drove first VS last and even possible setup of the two cars.
Randy once couldn't keep the RS on track because the handling was so bad..

You'd think they could check alignment and bars.
I believe he wrecked it, which is why we don't see any official times for the RS......it happens to the best of us!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Psup4s
I heard of some porsche enthusiast in my area who actually bought both cars manual and pdk.....win win Baller status imo. Both great cars, the manual is great but that doesn't mean pdk is not fun and engaging as well.
In my case I had no choice but go with pdk but even if I did and chose pdk it doesn't mean it would have be the wrong choice just because of the "if you don't get paid to drive go with manual" saying that has now quickly becoming a cliche around here.
Sounds like guys are trying to overcompensate for something.

Just kidding!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Andrew doesn't use any of the nannies (PSM, TC, Rev-Match, etc.). He was purposely being Driftmeister (and having lots of fun at it). I never had the sense that he ever got unintentionally out of shape (at least when I was riding along). Without any of the nannies, he still beat my personal best by a wide margin

I usually use all that stuff (except in my 73 which has none).
Maybe you are right, but I thought he just lost it. Great driver regardless. It happens to the best! He was quick, too! Maybe in another lifetime.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You should stop staring, drdonger.

It's rude to stare at someone's insecurity.
I have to say your user name is perfect for you.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drdonger

Not all of us are race car drivers like you Waxer. Some of us just want to have fun and don’t need every last tenth. I personally don’t race cars to put food on the table
Aside from the unecessary "sarcasm" riddle me this....if what you say is true then tell me what all this teeth nashing is over with regard to the last tenth of a second on Ring times, PDK times vs. MT times, .2GT3 vs. .1RS, .2RS vs. .1RS times. Then if it's just all about going out and having fun with no chest beating as to which car is a tenth of a second faster or braggging the MT is just as fast as the PDK then who cares right? A '58 MGTD should fill the bill. Really have to double clutch that baby. Loads of driver involvment there.

My point is very simple. PDK over the course of multiple laps and especially in traffic and race conditions will prove to be faster. Show me one team in World Challenge or the Conti Series that uses MT. There is a proven and empherical reason why.

As Pobst pointed out:

“Way more difficult to do a perfect lap with the manual transmission. I seem to end up halfway between gears a lot, and it was easier to destabilize the car in the brake zone. It’s tricky to do the brake and entry perfectly when there’s a downshift in there. It’s much trickier to throw a downshift at it than not to. It’s reminiscent of what we have to deal with, with manual transmissions, having to decide what gear you need, and it takes more practice to do it perfectly in one lap. I didn’t get into the magic zone like I did with the PDK, maybe because of the extra work.”

Also, you, I and most here are not Pobst and can't peddle an MT car as efficiently (although I am pretty good at it) and well has him including proper rev matching/heal toe a major key to good lap times in a MT car. Put an average Joe like me or you in an MT and compare an average Joe in a PDK the PDK car likley a click faster per lap.

I love an mt car. All my weekend cars are mt including my race cars. The RS is the only non MT.

In the end you are right. Its all about having fun and the joy of ownership.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-15-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Manual will not beat PDK- enough said.

A good driver, though, can get really darn close if equal skill level on a track
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Aside from the unecessary "sarcasm" riddle me this....if what you say is true then tell me what all this teeth nashing is over with regard to the last tenth of a second on Ring times, PDK times vs. MT times, .2GT3 vs. .1RS, .2RS vs. .1RS times. Then if it's just all about going out and having fun with no chest beating as to which car is a tenth of a second faster or braggging the MT is just as fast as the PDK then who cares right? A '58 MGTD should fill the bill. Really have to double clutch that baby. Loads of driver involvment there.

My point is very simple. PDK over the course of multiple laps and especially in traffic and race conditions will prove to be faster. Show me one team in World Challenge or the Conti Series that uses MT. There is a proven and empherical reason why.

Also, you, I and most here are not Pobst and can't peddle an MT car as efficiently (although I am pretty good at it) and well has him including proper rev matching/heal toe a major key to good lap times in a MT car. Put an average Joe like me or you in an MT and compare an average Joe in a PDK the PDK car likley a click faster per lap.

I love an mt car. All my weekend cars are mt including my race cars. The RS is the only non MT.
Since most don't race, and are just doing a fast lap or two, I see no reason a MT car can't run a PDK lap time. Albeit not 10 laps in a row, but traffic becomes a factor by then anyways.

And to compare race cars to the pdk, really is still apples and oranges, Porsche gt3 cup cars do not use pdk or manual, they use a true sequential gear box. So race cars aren't using pdk any more than they aren't using manuals.

The faster driver, in either car will still be the faster driver. The trans isn't going to take a slow guy and make him fast or vice versa.

The fact is, if the RS offered a manual, 65+% of us would be ordering with the manual, because it is more enjoyable to row your own gears.

I hope to have the chance to go after a hot lap in both, but I will say, so far the additional bottom end torque makes it far easier to keep the car up a gear when needed.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCCAForums

Since most don't race, and are just doing a fast lap or two, I see no reason a MT car can't run a PDK lap time. Albeit not 10 laps in a row, but traffic becomes a factor by then anyways.

And to compare race cars to the pdk, really is still apples and oranges, Porsche gt3 cup cars do not use pdk or manual, they use a true sequential gear box. So race cars aren't using pdk any more than they aren't using manuals.

The faster driver, in either car will still be the faster driver. The trans isn't going to take a slow guy and make him fast or vice versa.

The fact is, if the RS offered a manual, 65+% of us would be ordering with the manual, because it is more enjoyable to row your own gears.

I hope to have the chance to go after a hot lap in both, but I will say, so far the additional bottom end torque makes it far easier to keep the car up a gear when needed.

Best Regards,
Dave
I didn't say race teams use PDK. I said they don't use mt. PDK and sequential, however, provide the same experience. Quick lightening fast shifts at the flick of a fingers.

A faster driver for a lap or two will be faster in either vs. a slower driver. True. However, equally fast drivers lap after lap the advantage goes to the non Mt car. When I am in by mt Trans Am 302 on track with a friend in his PDK 991 GT3 I know I have more to concentrate on and have to get it perfect to keep up. One mt mistake and he's gone.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Head 2 Head: AMG GTR vs GT3 PDK vs GT3 M