Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

This is what happens when you don't use no-lift shift.

You go pick up your 93 year old grandmother in milan for lunch during European Delivery. Of course being the badass that she is (she personally bitch-slapped mussolini while he was hanging upside down let's not forget ) she asks to sample launch control. Having completed 1700km of careful break-in procedure, I feel comfortable honoring my grandmothers request to pop the gt3's cherry. It's raining hard outside so I chicken out a bit and don't quite flat-shift. As you can tell from the video she's deeply disappointed and says "no no no no no... stop stop stop enough".. she then proceeds to call her grandson a complete pu$$y for not holding my foot down completely. Lesson learned, lesson learned!!!! Sorry grandma... we'll go faster next time.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ This is truly classic. I have shared this story with some non-car folk. All love it...

Well done Sir!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:16 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Have you actually tried it? It's massively faster..
you mean the no-lift downshift? Yes I have. it’s faster, but less dramatic than the throttle blip, either manual or sport on.

I really like the no lift up shifts under full throttle. It’s faster and makes an awesome back fire noise.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Maybe it has been answered already, sorry if that's the case:

When shifting up, keeping the throttle pedal position - does the engine KEEP the rpm you're shifting from, or does it pull the rpm DOWN to match the next (higher gear)? Given basically constant vehicle speed.

If it doesn't pull the revs down, I would assume there is some strain put into the clutch, flywheel etc when the clutch is released.
When you keep your right foot still, it automatically drops the revs to seamlessly match the next taller gear when you release the clutch. Works very well...
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

When you keep your right foot still, it automatically drops the revs to seamlessly match the next taller gear when you release the clutch. Works very well...
Sweet. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to test this in late June...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:08 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 136 Posts

I tried this in my colleagues GT3 (with his permission of course) over the weekend. Definitely faster at WOT. Works no matter how much throttle you are applying in both sport on and off modes. One thing I noticed was the shifter slightly moved whenever I touched the throttle. I felt it in my hand but the gear shifter itself didn't visibly move. Doesn't do that in my GT4. Wasn't sure if that was by design or something else. Also side node that car at WOT is an experience. Sad I couldn't find an allocation
Old 03-20-2018, 11:59 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this feature on all the P. cars with Rev matching such as GT4 or Spyder ?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Is this feature on all the P. cars with Rev matching such as GT4 or Spyder ?
No, think it's just the 911R and 991.2 GT3.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:03 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

So no lift up shift and no lift down shift? Wow, my head is blown....will try it this weekend.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 136 Posts

NO!!!! You don't need to life to shift up. But to downshift you do need to lift. However there is of course the rev-match feature.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
NO!!!! You don't need to life to shift up. But to downshift you do need to lift. However there is of course the rev-match feature.
Are you sure?

i haven’t driven one yet but from what I’m reading here I’m under the impression you could do a no-lift downshift. Like... you’re puttering along on the highway and want to pull out and pass. I bet you could mash the pedal, then downshift, and take off when you let the clutch out.

Someone verify?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

Are you sure?

i haven’t driven one yet but from what I’m reading here I’m under the impression you could do a no-lift downshift. Like... you’re puttering along on the highway and want to pull out and pass. I bet you could mash the pedal, then downshift, and take off when you let the clutch out.

Someone verify?
Again i spoke about this before but it seems like its not registering with people. No one should be WOT at high RPMs and downshift, why would u do that if you are slowing down coming to a corner. You only need to heel and toe or use the Sport button to match revs under hard deceleration.

Now if u have Sport button activated and driving in 4th gear around 4000RPM, you Technially can go WOT and downshift for better acceleration. But any manual car can do that as well, nothing special here except the rev matching feature when activated when makes it smoother.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:51 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
So no lift up shift and no lift down shift? Wow, my head is blown....will try it this weekend.
Yesss!!!

report back please

Edit: but again, the no-lift down shift is no fun.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

Yesss!!!

report back please

Edit: but again, the no-lift down shift is no fun.
hahaha 🤣🤣
Old 03-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power

Again i spoke about this before but it seems like its not registering with people. No one should be WOT at high RPMs and downshift, why would u do that if you are slowing down coming to a corner. You only need to heel and toe or use the Sport button to match revs under hard deceleration.

Now if u have Sport button activated and driving in 4th gear around 4000RPM, you Technially can go WOT and downshift for better acceleration. But any manual car can do that as well, nothing special here except the rev matching feature when activated when makes it smoother.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

I pretty clearly described your second scenario and no, you don’t normally do it while mashing the pedal to the floor.

I’m not saying there’s value here or that it’s a feature I care about. I’m just saying it seems like it’s a thing.

Quick Reply: No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3