Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:43 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I think CJ understands that you can't over-rev with the throttle, but someone will speedshift into the wrong gear and there will be no hope of saving it. Many years ago I miss-shifted my BMW and as I was letting out the clutch I could feel the engine spin up and the car rapidly slowing. I was able to immediately push the clutch back in before any damage. I wasn't shifting fast or at red-line so I had some room but it still remember the sinking feeling.
If you miss the gear change gate it can over rev in neutral and if you accidentally go from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th you will over rev it
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If you miss the gear change gate it can over rev in neutral and if you accidentally go from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th you will over rev it
I'm not sure what you mean by miss the gate? If the car is in neutral the computer should cut the fuel and/or ignition to prevent an over-rev. I still believe that suddenly taking the load off an engine at red line could result in a little over-rev but I don't think damaging.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I'm not sure what you mean by miss the gate? If the car is in neutral the computer should cut the fuel and/or ignition to prevent an over-rev. I still believe that suddenly taking the load off an engine at red line could result in a little over-rev but I don't think damaging.
Missing the gate means you intended to go up a gear (say from 4th to 5th) but you accidentally shift into 3rd.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

No additional wear (probably less wear). Launch control might cause some wear on some of the parts, but not Rev-Match or No/Lift shifting...
+1 since the throttle is eGas (drive by wire) the computer can do the appropriate math once it figures out the nature of the shift in progress...
Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

It's a neat feature. Took my brain a couple shifts to "make" my right leg do it, LOL. Between this, and the higher WHP the 6MT makes compared to a PDK, it certainly helps close the gap.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess I have it, but don't need it. Still practicing for the ballet!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

This certainly narrows the gap in shift speeds between the 6MT and the PDK. While its fun, I personally would be wary of trying this consistently at WOT on the track (ironically where it makes the most sense to use it), for fear of excessive wear & tear on the transmission.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried this yesterday.
It worked flawlessly.
The "mechanical sympathy" I have made me cringe the first time I tried, fear of an over rev when the clutch is depressed. I have only done at lower RPM. Not flat out......YET.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:49 PM
NoPaddleShiftFor
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the 911R have the same feature? Anybody tried it?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
It's slowly morphing into PDK. . .
Yeah no kidding. Basically you're just pulling a stick instead of flipping a paddle. The net is the same. If I'm going to have a stick, I'd prefer that it be a proper MANUAL, as the current "stick" in the new GT3 is really just a different mechanism of activating the PDK, with the rev matching and no lifting, etc.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
This certainly narrows the gap in shift speeds between the 6MT and the PDK. While its fun, I personally would be wary of trying this consistently at WOT on the track (ironically where it makes the most sense to use it), for fear of excessive wear & tear on the transmission.
As stated earlier: If one is driving at WOT and shifting quickly anyway at the track, using the No-Lift shift is probably the least harmful and wear-inducing way to shift (the computer can match the revs better than any of us).

The computer automatically reduces revs to match to the next gear, although the driver keep his throttle foot down. Doing this without the automatic No-Lift feature is hard on a car, but not with this feature.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
None, it is electronically managed revs

Originally Posted by H82BL8
I tried this yesterday.
It worked flawlessly.
The "mechanical sympathy" I have made me cringe the first time I tried, fear of an over rev when the clutch is depressed. I have only done at lower RPM. Not flat out......YET.
Originally Posted by NoPaddleShiftFor
Does the 911R have the same feature? Anybody tried it?
Yes it did, exact same.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

^^ great to know! More joy for the 6MT owners.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Yeah no kidding. Basically you're just pulling a stick instead of flipping a paddle. The net is the same. If I'm going to have a stick, I'd prefer that it be a proper MANUAL, as the current "stick" in the new GT3 is really just a different mechanism of activating the PDK, with the rev matching and no lifting, etc.
This isn't the case at all. The gear stick is still physically changing the gears through the cables or whatever. The paddles are switches telling the transmission to change the gears itself.

You know you can turn off all this rev matching witchcraft right? Just like you can turn off the traction control if you decide you don't want it. Having it there doesn't mean you need to use it.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This isn't the case at all. The gear stick is still physically changing the gears through the cables or whatever. The paddles are switches telling the transmission to change the gears itself.

You know you can turn off all this rev matching witchcraft right? Just like you can turn off the traction control if you decide you don't want it. Having it there doesn't mean you need to use it.

Thank you for taking the effort to respond. I didn’t want to waste effort trying to explain a difference that is very obvious. I guess some people want to feel better about PDK or dont know how to drive a manual.

Quick Reply: No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3