Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

981 GT4 does not have no-lift upshifts and, if I'm honest, I like that older system better.

A lot of people in this thread don't know what engine braking is and are under the mistaken impression that having the car slow down while letting out the clutch is engine braking.

It isn't. I guess I'd call that "clutch braking" and it's not a thing you'd ever do on purpose if you know what you're doing.

Engine braking is when the car is in gear and you're off the throttle so it's slowing down due to the load of the engine on the drivetrain. Then you let out the clutch with the engine at the wrong RPM, the engine RPM is forced up and the car is forced to slow down as they two try to come into equilibrium. That's just wearing your clutch more than you should and isn't "engine braking".
The following users liked this post:
MichaelNGT4 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
A lot of people in this thread don't know what engine braking is and are under the mistaken impression that having the car slow down while letting out the clutch is engine braking.

It isn't. I guess I'd call that "clutch braking" and it's not a thing you'd ever do on purpose if you know what you're doing.
+1

Why anyone would want to save a tiny bit of brake wear while ruining their clutch is beyond me...
Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Somebody will overrev their car doing this but it is fun. Don't try this at full redline your first time.

Thirty-two years ago I was doing this in my Mustang GT. No rev-matching or similar feature. Just the stock manual transmission.

Clutch in 300-rpm prior to redline, Shift lever moved. Clutch back out before redline violated. Throttle never lifted off the floor. Have to be fast, and the syncros in the tranny have to be fast too. It's basically like throwing a kick and a punch at the same time, it's that fast.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not following. What has no lift shift got to do with engine braking?

NLS is for shifting up gears while accelerating. Some drivers on here down shift in a manner that is not compatible with the NLS mechanism.

But, yes, don't use your clutch as a brake, they don't do it well and they cost a lot more to replace.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Thirty-two years ago I was doing this in my Mustang GT. No rev-matching or similar feature. Just the stock manual transmission.

Clutch in 300-rpm prior to redline, Shift lever moved. Clutch back out before redline violated. Throttle never lifted off the floor. Have to be fast, and the syncros in the tranny have to be fast too. It's basically like throwing a kick and a punch at the same time, it's that fast.
Isn't that what we call power-shifting? I used to the same when drag racing. You might bounce off the rev-limiter a bit but that kick against the flywheel helps just the tiniest bit. This isn't idea for a circuit track though when you don't want to upset the car if you're upshifting while going around a bend of some sort.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:26 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Isn't that what we call power-shifting? I used to the same when drag racing. You might bounce off the rev-limiter a bit but that kick against the flywheel helps just the tiniest bit. This isn't idea for a circuit track though when you don't want to upset the car if you're upshifting while going around a bend of some sort.
Yes, same thing but the computer ensures the rpm is optional on the upshift. So no bouncing off the redline.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by iphilips
Yes, same thing but the computer ensures the rpm is optional on the upshift. So no bouncing off the redline.
It's not really the same. The no-lift upshift actually brings down the RPM's to rev-match the upshift without the driver needing to lift.

When power-shifting, you want the revs to go up to near red-line so you get every last bit of available acceleration... balance be damned. You want that flywheel momentum to kick it up a notch.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, it's the same driver input. It's just not the same result.

Quick Reply: No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3