Sponsored by:

AP on the GT3RS.2 and questions on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:37 AM
mowaffaq
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
AP folds his arms as soon as the engine is mentioned. Very defensive. Seems like he wanted more out of it, but the regs prevented it.

100 grams a side by removing under seat carpet. That’s a nice touch.

The suspension tweaks are the oldest trick in the book. If anyone drives their GT3RS on the street, I suspect we will hear complaints about the ride. Of course, I am plotting to swap the springs to the stiffer ones on my GT3 .... lol. Who says you can’t drive a cup car on the street ....
Spot on!

It seems that they squeezed every bit out of this platform, which makes me seriously wonder if this indeed going to be the last NA RS!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM
mowaffaq
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Glad the .2 RS will be stiffer. The .1 was too soft and comfortable a ride for an RS, IMHO.

Agree that my overall impression from AP words is that they’ve done all they can to maximize this platform. There are no more incremental gains to be had and they will need to do more than just change the air intake/exhaust and remove the carpet under the seats for the next all new 992 RS.

Either develop a CF monocell (which they won’t due just for RS), or radically change the engine to turbo and/or hybrid.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

AP folds his arms as soon as the engine is mentioned. Very defensive. Seems like he wanted more out of it, but the regs prevented it.
Well- I think it's probably true both the GT3 and RS versions of this engine produce more power than spec'd and they could have pushed the ratings higher with no issue- but "folded arms", he was overruled so there is more to give on the next generation.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Well- I think it's probably true both the GT3 and RS versions of this engine produce more power than spec'd and they could have pushed the ratings higher with no issue- but "folded arms", he was overruled so there is more to give on the next generation.
agree this could be the situation.

Weird though, this was the first AP video I’ve seen in which he didn’t talk about engine improvements in extreme detail.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mowaffaq
Spot on!

It seems that they squeezed every bit out of this platform, which makes me seriously wonder if this indeed going to be the last NA RS!
Being down nearing 200 hp to the competition they need to end this rodeo.

Respect the focus of this edition proper way to close it out - it's like an aging athlete that retires before embarrassment.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

So as far as we can tell, the only changes between the 991.2 GT3 engine and the 991.2 GT3RS engine are intake, exhaust and the tune.

I am not not sure I buy the “they are all underrated” re: engines or that the current engine will continue in 992, but time will tell.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This is like how it used to be in 997. RS engine is basically the same as a GT3. Extra air in and out and a remap. It's great that you get the real deal in the regular GT3 again. No probs for me that the RS is not a 4.2 or other significant upgrade.

Re competition being 200hp ahead, they're not in the same space anymore due to price. They compete with 1RS.

Competition is R8, AMG and i know which is rather have.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

So as far as we can tell, the only changes between the 991.2 GT3 engine and the 991.2 GT3RS engine are intake, exhaust and the tune.

I am not not sure I buy the “they are all underrated” re: engines or that the current engine will continue in 992, but time will tell.
I agree. When I hear " this engine produces more power than it's rated for " without evidence is like one 5 year old telling another " my toy is better than yours because it's red ". There hasn't been any substantial proof that the engine power is underrated AFAIK. All the Dyno runs that have been posted here seem to be spot on.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Another point I'd like to throw out there...and this is pure speculation on my part : I bet that the most significant improvement in lap times on the new car comes from the advancements in tire technology.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I agree. When I hear " this engine produces more power than it's rated for " without evidence is like one 5 year old telling another " my toy is better than yours because it's red ". There hasn't been any substantial proof that the engine power is underrated AFAIK. All the Dyno runs that have been posted here seem to be spot on.
dunno. This suggests the torque is rather underrated on the .2 GT3.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...pd-manual.html
Old 03-07-2018, 01:18 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Typical AP,very knowledgeable but also a very good salesman. It might be my impression,but he also sounds like they've come to a point where there isn't much more to be said in terms of improvements on this platform.
Considering the take of the manual transmission in the GT3.2 is pretty good,Henry Catchpole missed the most important question of all : " why no manual ? "
This exactly is what struck me most. He seemed to be really searching for improvement over the .1.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:31 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

the big bang introducing the .2 solid lifters is already known

.2 RS is a GT3 plus aero and suspensions as usual

what he should say?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
This exactly is what struck me most. He seemed to be really searching for improvement over the .1.
It seems like every change was focused on making the car a better track weapon. This isn't intended to be a driver's car imo. So putting a manual in it would have been contrary to that. I would have been surprised if they did offer one, tbh.

Car should be awesome on the track!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Drifting
dunno. This suggests the torque is rather underrated on the .2 GT3.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...pd-manual.html
I wonder if it's just that particular Dyno...the difference between results and rated is quite significant.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:00 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To accommodate the better tires

Quick Reply: AP on the GT3RS.2 and questions on suspension