Sponsored by:

LWBS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 PM
69911s
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default LWBS question

So I pulled my seats out to install a new Cantrell roll bar and learned lots of info on my new to me car ('15 .1). Forensics revealed that it had already had a bar installed at some point and that it had bolster protectors. The driver's seat had a nicely cut opening in the CF and a slit in the insert for a sub belt. The passenger's side had neither but the material on the seat base had perforations cut as a guide for the sub belt opening. Is any of this normal for a factory delivered car? I'm keeping the passenger's seat so I will cut it to match the driver's side but I'm installing a dedicated track seat on the driver's side. Maybe a previous driver only drove solo on the track? Thoughts and experiences?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drivers seat comes with opening from factory, passengers seat doesn't
Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The seats are like that from the factory.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 PM
69911s
Rennlist Member

That's what it looked like. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto. That's how the seats come. At least in my PCA Zone (8) the rules require that driver and passenger seats must have exactly the same safety equipment. In order to run 6 pt belts for the driver, I had to have GMG (a) cut open the closed slot on the passenger seat; cut a slot in the passenger lower seat cushion and then resew the cushion leaving a slot for the sub belt; and (c) install brackets on both sides for the sub belts, so I can then run 6 pt. belts on both sides. Which is only an issue when I have a student on board at a DE/TT event.

Why on Earth Porsche makes us go through this, I've no idea. But they do!

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 Cayman
'18 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo (sitting on the dock for over 3 months now, waiting for CARB clearance)
'18 911 GTS (due to enter the body shop in a few weeks, ETA May)
'16 RS7
Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 69911s
So I pulled my seats out to install a new Cantrell roll bar and learned lots of info on my new to me car ('15 .1). Forensics revealed that it had already had a bar installed at some point and that it had bolster protectors. The driver's seat had a nicely cut opening in the CF and a slit in the insert for a sub belt. The passenger's side had neither but the material on the seat base had perforations cut as a guide for the sub belt opening. Is any of this normal for a factory delivered car? I'm keeping the passenger's seat so I will cut it to match the driver's side but I'm installing a dedicated track seat on the driver's side. Maybe a previous driver only drove solo on the track? Thoughts and experiences?
Kind of curious as to how you know the car had bolster protectors ?
DMoore is correct, if you are running at PCA events ... That is until you don't need to have an instructor in your car anymore
So you could just use the stock seat belts until you are signed off....
Regards
Ed
Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 AM
69911s
Rennlist Member

I knew the car had the bolster protectors because the velcros were still zip tied to the bars under the rear of the seats. That's not a factory option, I'm pretty sure.

I run in the black group so no passengers required, but I have other track cars with "equal restraints" so I can take folks out in those cars when I use them. Other groups just want six points on both sides. I'm changing the seat because the stock seat doesn't fit me.

Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 69911s
I knew the car had the bolster protectors because the velcros were still zip tied to the bars under the rear of the seats. That's not a factory option, I'm pretty sure.
I run in the black group so no passengers required, but I have other track cars with "equal restraints" so I can take folks out in those cars when I use them. Other groups just want six points on both sides. I'm changing the seat because the stock seat doesn't fit me.

Thanks again.
Yes that would be a dead giveaway 👍
If you decide to do something with the stick seats let me know 😉
Best of luck
regards
Ed

Quick Reply: LWBS question