Help with .2 GT3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with .2 GT3 Build

Hello everyone,
So initially I had a 190k PTS acid green spec'd out with the works on it. PTS has closed and now I have to make a new build.
I am leaning towards somewhat a base/stripper bitch build now. The reason is because I noticed how base GT4s are staying above their msrp while heavily optioned GT4s have fallen below (generally).
This is what I am considering submitting (in the morning 2/21). 100% sold on manual
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJQSQ6Y8

I would love your input on it. This is the first expensive car I will own and don't want to take a large haircut on it after I put 10-15k miles on it.

The only options I am debating are:
1. Sport Chrono: Do you think this is a must on this model? Would people generally want this in the future?
2. Red Stripe Rim vs All Black: Thoughts on the red stripe rim?
3. Buckets vs Standard
4. Any other suggestions you may have with my current build? *In your opinion

EDIT::::::
I am 99.9% certain I will be submitting this tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help! Let me know what you think.
Added LWB coming in at 152.5k. Still somewhat of a stripper bitch with a few enhancements

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJAGU986

Thanks!

Last edited by camjan; 02-21-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:43 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Friends don't let friends do a rim stripe.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:49 AM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I wouldn't compare the market of the GT4 to the GT3. Long-term, the GT3 is going to be more desirable, especially if this is the last of the NA / manuals, whatever. 991.1's are just now falling a bit below MSRP, four years later. And that's the important part - MSRP. Sure, some people won't pay a premium for alcantara sun visors or alcantara seat belt outlets. But things like leather interior, front axle lift, buckets, PCCB, PTS, etc will still get you your money back.

I'm of the opinion that if you're spending this much money, spec it the way YOU want to, and **** the depreciation to hell. I look at some of these $100k+ macan turbo's spec'd without adaptive cruise control and I shake my head and ask who the **** built this thing.

And second, which may be an unpopular opinion, but if you NEED the car to maintain a certain value in order for the purchase to make sense to you.... you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place. If you don't need it to maintain a certain value in order for it to make sense.... then you should be building it the way you want to, not the way you think will make you lose the least amount of money on it in the future. Life is short. Build and buy the car you want, not the car you think will lose the lease amount of money. At the end of the day, what's the difference between $150k and $165k?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
First, I wouldn't compare the market of the GT4 to the GT3. Long-term, the GT3 is going to be more desirable, especially if this is the last of the NA / manuals, whatever. 991.1's are just now falling a bit below MSRP, four years later. And that's the important part - MSRP. Sure, some people won't pay a premium for alcantara sun visors or alcantara seat belt outlets. But things like leather interior, front axle lift, buckets, PCCB, PTS, etc will still get you your money back.

I'm of the opinion that if you're spending this much money, spec it the way YOU want to, and **** the depreciation to hell. I look at some of these $100k+ macan turbo's spec'd without adaptive cruise control and I shake my head and ask who the **** built this thing.

And second, which may be an unpopular opinion, but if you NEED the car to maintain a certain value in order for the purchase to make sense to you.... you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place. If you don't need it to maintain a certain value in order for it to make sense.... then you should be building it the way you want to, not the way you think will make you lose the least amount of money on it in the future. Life is short. Build and buy the car you want, not the car you think will lose the lease amount of money. At the end of the day, what's the difference between $150k and $165k?
I agree, i don't NEED it to maintain a certain value but its always just a cool thing when it does. Just my take on it.
I know I will get just as much enjoyment out of the car spec'd totally base with black rims as I would if I added 20k more in options - esp since I can't get my desired exterior I was looking for originally.
Thank you though.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Don't think of future anything.. think how it makes you happy. Your 401k or equity portfolio probably fluctuates more in a morning than the entire value of these stupid options.. the intelligent logical brain which got you to gt3 purchasing ability, is somehow momentarily stuck inside a very tiny tiny box of nothingness, and so you're focusing on trying to calculate infinitesimally small variables like what options a hypothetical future buyer at a hypothetical future date will want? Slap yourself hard man!.. wake up! Doesn't that feel good? Ok, now that you're back...

You'll now realize that Actual variables like how many miles you put on it, did the economy crash, did a nuclear bomb go off, or did trump's wife pose for penthouse... are massively more influential on how many fraction of a percent each option would would worth..

Don't worry, You're not alone in asking these frankly absurd questions, it's a Rennlist-disease, focusing on the minutiae.. but you're cured now. There is only one factor which matters...

What makes your ***** tingle.. ?

WHAT MAKES YOUR ***** TINGLE MAN?

Everything, everything is else is irrelevant and incalculable, even if it were somehow relevant... which i reiterate, it isn't.

Capito adesso? Mamma mia.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:06 AM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camjan
I agree, i don't NEED it to maintain a certain value but its always just a cool thing when it does. Just my take on it.
I know I will get just as much enjoyment out of the car spec'd totally base with black rims as I would if I added 20k more in options - esp since I can't get my desired exterior I was looking for originally.
Thank you though.
Well hey, if the way YOU want to spec it just so happens to also be the way you think you'll lose the least amount of money, then win-win.... right?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:15 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I love these threads. Usual caveats, get what you want.

All I would say is you have a red theme going so why not do red stitching with the full leather or skip the additional red details in the interior (belts, wheel center, fire extinguisher). Probably less of an issue with four ways as they don’t have the seat stripe, but a thought none the less. I am a big fan of the base interior. On four ways, I would do heated seats for a Chicago build.

Personally, I dig the wheel stripe with guards red cars, but it is an extra $700.

IMHO, a touring will save you $700 in gas guzzler so there is that. Lol.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

fudge, now I think I want buckets.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Not sure if it helps, but I wanted PTS and ended up with a stripper. LWB/FAL/autodim/touring

To me, less is more. My 993 had like two option when new and I wish it had none.

A true stripper, no options but maybe tank and FAL minimizes costs and no one will turn up their nose at it. Secondary market buyers may want fancy options, but they don’t seem to pay full value for them.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:16 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

OK I think this is it! Thanks for all your help guys!
Check her out and lemme know what you think. I added buckets and removed some cosmetic options. Added LWB coming in at 152.5k. Still somewhat of a stripper bitch with a few enhancements

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJAGU986

PS: WTF is voice control? I added it anyway, $0 ...?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Looks good. Anthracite trim should tie with the silver stitching and stripe.

ps you sure no FAL? Resale?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:24 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks good. All the important stuff and no fluff.
I'm one who thinks a $150k+ car needs the full leather interior, but if you are fine with the 'soft touch' plastic or whatever they call it you can save a few bucks.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:30 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Looks good. All the important stuff and no fluff.
I'm one who thinks a $150k+ car needs the full leather interior, but if you are fine with the 'soft touch' plastic or whatever they call it you can save a few bucks.
yeah I would love the full leather - but I just convinced myself to add the buckets for the 5k. As you know you could easily add another 15k without sneezing.
I needed to find a that golden balance where I had enough of what I wanted while still keeping it close to base which was my primary goal of this build.

I had a 991 w/o leather and I didn't notice not having it one second during my ownership.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:35 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

do we mostly agree sports chrono isn't necessary on this model? It looks cool but I heard it doesn't have much function or desire.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

#nowart

Quick Reply: Help with .2 GT3 Build