Sponsored by:

GT3 RS 991.2 or GT2 RS 991

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:23 AM
zoran
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Looking at it form a track perspective, if you don't want a real race car the 3 RS is the way to go.
Main reasons are:
1. No painful water sprayer/hassle (my track runs 40 min sessions with only 20 minutes between, don't see it working real well)
2. Real motorsports derived engine, not a modified TTS lump
3. Safety - I don't want to go 2RS speeds when it's not a full race car
NateOZ,
1. Not a big problem where I am going to use the car. Interesting and Good point though.
2. Very good point. I have driven both mk1 and mk2 991 turbo s and understand where you coming from.
3. Can not be not advocating safety in Motorsport enough.
That is one very valid point. However it does go for 991.2 Gt3 rs as well. Its going to be a very capable car and some more if anything like its previous model.
Speaking of previous model(my gt3rs)I just come back from Bathurst(my interstate track) and word out there was that we where toping more top speed than some of the gt3 cars on privious weekend(race cars have BOP and down force slows them down).
We where also in almost the same braking zones with those cars. So not much safety in both of these cars based on how capable they are. Most of the pro drivers I spoke to said that 991 gt3rs is by far best road going motorsport car.
I am turning it down a bit. One did say that this is the best race car in the world by many racing instructors.

Aprriciate your points,

Zoran
Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM
m4n0t0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoran
Interesting opinion on NA platform.
I dont think I can disagree with that.
I come from gt3 rs 991 platform but I want more power.
Even with a Dundon race exhaust(which I have) and a tune on 991.2 maximum safely will get about 550hp.
Gt2 rs has a 150hp more.

I get hp isn't everything but its a big part of the enjoyment on the track. More competitive on the track is fun as well.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with NA 500 PLUS HP.
I just want more and more and some more.

I am wondering which one would people take out to the track if they had both. I mean experienced track guy's.

Zoran
Experienced track guys wouldnt take a Gt2 or Gt3 it's not a good deal on the long run. Performance, cost and maintenanc.
They would take a Cup car for the track and then one of these two GT for driving to the track or giving hot laps to friends.

If you are one of the lucky person to be able to get the GT2 just do it....

If you already have a 991.1 Gt3 RS just bear in mind that 991.2 GT3 and GT3 RS will give you a different look but same performance.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I own a .1GT3RS. .2GT3MT and TT. I will probably get an allocation for the .2 3RS. I like the raw sound of the NA cars. My 488 was 285k. The GT2 and 3 are not the same price. At 325k I think a 911 is out classed by other choices. Keep in mind I own 3 911's, I am a member of the faithful, and it was my dream car as a kid. I am not a track guy. If I were I'd buy a cup car.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

From my perspective it should be what you want most out of a track car.
If both are PDK, and the 3 RS does not get down the straight fast enough for you, you have got to go with the GT2 RS.
That way you can go fast down the straight's, and figure out a way to get it through the corners as quickly as the RS or see how close you can be to the cup cars through the corners.
The challenge of hustling the GT2 RS through the corners is worth the price of admission to the GT2 RS.

Pranqster
Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 86 Posts

GT2RS seems more like a car you grow with as you learn to manage its power/torque etc. For a street registered track car that is what I'd want. More of a long-term proposition. The GT3RS (once you get acclimated) probably won't scare you. Maybe that's a good thing (consistency) but as a track rat I would want to peel off layers as I grew more accustomed to the car. I think the GT2RS offers more of that nuanced interaction over time. It's got a lot to manage, you don't just get in and go 10/10ths. Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

GT3RS, because there is no alternative. If you take the GT2RS, my god, look at that 488 Pista !
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Keep the 991.1 RS and add the GT2RS.
I agree
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

I'd go with the 2RS. It's faster on the track.

I am in the minority - I don't get the NA thing. Turbo is better in all situations from a performance perspective. And if you're tracking the car that's all that really matters. (Note: I also would never chose a MT over the PDK for the same reason.)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by m4n0t0
Experienced track guys wouldnt take a Gt2 or Gt3 it's not a good deal on the long run. Performance, cost and maintenanc.
They would take a Cup car for the track and then one of these two GT for driving to the track or giving hot laps to friends.

If you are one of the lucky person to be able to get the GT2 just do it....

If you already have a 991.1 Gt3 RS just bear in mind that 991.2 GT3 and GT3 RS will give you a different look but same performance.

Just my opinion...
wait, are you saying that a cup car is cheaper to maintain than a gt2? That's a new one.

Edit: 991 gt2 rs makes sense

Last edited by RennOracle; 02-21-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 AM
m4n0t0
Instructor

Originally Posted by RennOracle
wait, are you saying that a cup car is cheaper to maintain than a gt2? That's a new one.

Edit: 991 gt2 rs makes sense
We are talking about experienced trackday people then what i'm saying is that there's a ratio between PERFORMANCE/COST that goes in favor of CUP cars as much as your skills are growing aswell as the time you are spending on the tracks..

The race cars price deprecate less if they are runned only for trackdays. If you do only track days slick tires and break pads can last much longers than CUP2 with longer performances. Obisouly you dont insure Racecars for track days while you have to pay to have your GT on the road. Endless break pads are similar for both cars but cup are lighter then probably less wearing. Etc etc etc .. So yes for full track usage and intensive drivers CUP cars are a better deal .. 997 ... 991... Cayman CS
Old 02-22-2018, 11:13 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

i would like to see your calculation m4n0t0.
not sure if you owned already any race car...

warranty
depreciation
overhauling engine and transmission after 25-75h = 8-25.000€ each.
searching/finding guys who support and repair

if you set up a GT Porsche properly you will learn far cheaper than in a race car.
i say: as soon you are at 98-99,5% of the possible laptime in the spezific road car you can switch to race cars. before it doesn´t make any sense in terms of money vs. learning effect.

it is always more fun in the race car. thats clear.

if you just want to go faster (in terms of laptimes) than somebody else - and money is not a topic - clear: choose race car.
if you want to become a faster/better driver - stuck as long as you can with GT or similar cars.

Edit: We should start with Miatas, BMW´s, etc. - but ok. everybody here has a bit more money so we speak about cheap GT3/GT2 Porsche cars.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM
m4n0t0
Instructor

Originally Posted by jo_ker
i would like to see your calculation m4n0t0.
not sure if you owned already any race car...

warranty
depreciation
overhauling engine and transmission after 25-75h = 8-25.000€ each.
searching/finding guys who support and repair

if you set up a GT Porsche properly you will learn far cheaper than in a race car.
i say: as soon you are at 98-99,5% of the possible laptime in the spezific road car you can switch to race cars. before it doesn´t make any sense in terms of money vs. learning effect.

it is always more fun in the race car. thats clear.

if you just want to go faster (in terms of laptimes) than somebody else - and money is not a topic - clear: choose race car.
if you want to become a faster/better driver - stuck as long as you can with GT or similar cars.

Edit: We should start with Miatas, BMW´s, etc. - but ok. everybody here has a bit more money so we speak about cheap GT3/GT2 Porsche cars.
I have racecars and GT cars.

As you say if you have little bit more money it's cheaper to race a real race car than a GT, specialy when you reach the limit that you need to change breakpads and tires and it doesnt help you to get any better laptime.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

somehow right. as long it is about laptimes. and not about becoming a faster driver looking a bit on his budget.

don´t mind the GT2RS passing you on the straight as long you outbrake them / overtake them sideways entering the corner.
trackdays are for competing against yourself. not against cars with 200hp more.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I own a .1GT3RS. .2GT3MT and TT. I will probably get an allocation for the .2 3RS. I like the raw sound of the NA cars. My 488 was 285k. The GT2 and 3 are not the same price. At 325k I think a 911 is out classed by other choices. Keep in mind I own 3 911's, I am a member of the faithful, and it was my dream car as a kid. I am not a track guy. If I were I'd buy a cup car.
Lol you are similar to me. But you have more cash lol
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well on the topic, a radical would be a much better choice than a gt3 cup. There are a couple of championships, VERY fast, very cheap to buy and even cheaper to maintain. But this is a big off-topic.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 991.2 or GT2 RS 991