Sponsored by:

Miscommunication surrounding 991.2 GT3 RS Deposit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
I did change the title because I felt it was only fair after they reached out and tried to remedy the situation. I'm sure there are a lot of dealers out there that don't care about their reputation and that's why they continue to rob people without any remorse. These guys at least seem to care about their reputation in our close community and that in itself is rare these days. As far as people who made comments like "How many cars have you bought from them?" and " Have you built a relationship?" My deposit was my relationship!!!! I expressed serious intent in buying this car way in advance of its unveiling. Why is it that some people on this forum that is supposed to be a pace for enthusiasts think that in order to "qualify" to buy these cars you've had to been a sucker an bought 18 ****ty cars that you didn't want or be a big wale that can walk in and buy a 918 and park it and become a flipper for the next 10 years?!!!! Listen I understand capitalism and market forces, demand and supply and all that jazz as much as the next guy.But why can't the real enthusiasts who want and can afford these cars buy them without jumping through 1000 different hoops and bending like a pretzel to fit a "profile" that would allow them to buy these cars?!!.
I'm still trying to understand why you think you deserve a car over any other customer. If there are 5 cars coming in to that dealership and 30 people on their list, why should you get one? Are you the only person who put a deposit down? Are you sure that you were in the first five to do so? There are a lot of people who want these cars, more demand than supply. What is the logic that you 'deserve' a car over anyone else? And don't say deposit, because there are way more deposits down at dealers across the U.S. than there are cars available.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm still trying to understand why you think you deserve a car over any other customer. If there are 5 cars coming in to that dealership and 30 people on their list, why should you get one? Are you the only person who put a deposit down? Are you sure that you were in the first five to do so? There are a lot of people who want these cars, more demand than supply. What is the logic that you 'deserve' a car over anyone else? And don't say deposit, because there are way more deposits down at dealers across the U.S. than there are cars available.
Why are you busting his *****? He never said any of that. All he said was he wanted to be put back on the list and given a fair shot at the process. I've been in his shoes, I saved and worked 20 years selling Gore-Tex clothing and wheeling around salesman racks when it was -10 below in the Dakotas. I had cash in hand and was a first time buyer and was told I was 2 years out. That blows. Want to know my opinion? Guys who have gotten multiple allocations and cars over the years should be HELPING guys like him get his car. That's good karma...
Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Why are you busting his *****? He never said any of that. All he said was he wanted to be put back on the list and given a fair shot at the process.
I'm not busting his *****, I'm asking a simple question in response to his strong worded posts. He started a thread titled 'XXXX Dealer Sucks!!!..etc.' all based upon what appears to be a misunderstanding on his part about what a deposit means, then followed it up with multiples posts that reeked of entitlement. I'm just curious why he feels the way he does about his right to a car.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm not busting his *****, I'm asking a simple question in response to his strong worded posts. He started a thread titled 'XXXX Dealer Sucks!!!..etc.' all based upon what appears to be a misunderstanding on his part about what a deposit means, then followed it up with multiples posts that reeked of entitlement. I'm just curious why he feels the way he does about his right to a car.
I think you cleared it up nicely as your answer to my question. These dealers probably have hundreds of deposits across the world entered at all these dealerships year after year. Perhaps the labor (costs) in consoling a loser bid (my analogy) for all all these entries becomes lengthy and troublesome.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:51 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

All valid points. Buying regular or not much desired Porsche cars/models is sort of "Rites of Initiation", to be kept on the dealers pipeline when it comes to "Limited and or Numbered" cars.

Sometimes you might get lucky if they honor your deposit and give you a "limited" (High demand low production car), but highly unlikely. Of course the dealer will take care of their "loyal" and returning customers first, and this evolves around creating a relationship. If they don't give you a number in the "Pecking Order" list, it simply because they have loyal and returning customers they need to attend to. Just in case they have no interest in buying the car, then your "Long Shot" comes into play. Just my $0.02.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Can't wait for my allocation on the GT6 (it's coming some day, and thank god I got my deposit in).

Point being, you just spelled out you have no interest in buying future cars from the dealership in the above post - only the limited production cars (key word, limited).
So as a dealer, who do you keep happy with limited cars available? The clients whom have bought "18 sh***" vehicles from the dealership in the past? Or the potential customer that calls out of the blue and says I want your most desirable car, here is my money as a good faith I will buy it and this prioritizes me because I placed my deposit first? The money is refundable (which does nothing for the dealer) whereas a dealer sold car is money they put on the books as profit - send the money non-refundable if your so certain a deposit is the same relationship as formally buying a car from them. But I suspect a dealer won't take a non-refundable deposit because they can't guarantee an allocation for you or anyone until they have them in hand - not years in advance.

Agree to disagree, just seems like a lot of frustrations over an emotional want that you and a lot of people (myself included) have because we can't always get the car(s) we want. At least they are first world problems.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Lol - my dealer told me it was a miscommunication on the GT2 RS when I cancelled my other 3 orders over their ADM request.
Exactly. You’d have to be pretty slow to believe that story. Nice back-pedaling by the dealer, though.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:27 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
I wish you the best and understand your frustration but this "computer error" is just the start of the jack session you're going to experience with this dealer.
100%
Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
I think you cleared it up nicely as your answer to my question. These dealers probably have hundreds of deposits across the world entered at all these dealerships year after year. Perhaps the labor (costs) in consoling a loser bid (my analogy) for all all these entries becomes lengthy and troublesome.
I understand both of your points. Dealers do have lists, long lists but what makes it difficult is we are told by the dealers that this is HOW the process goes and we follow it in good faith. I just don't think the OP has anything to apologize for. I have empathy for the man. This whole pay your dues thing while true, pretty much blows. We all have gone through it and this is his first time. The man needed to vent. I'm cool with that...
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

This comes up a lot in the US. Whilst does occur elsewhere, doesn't seem to be to the same extent. Whys that ?

Secondly, isn't what any buyer is asking is to say, what is the price and what is the process to acquire. If its a lottery, say its a lottery. Its its because you have 50 porches already you go to front of line then say that. If its a first in first deposit, the stick to it. If its a auction where best price over wins, then say that. But don't pretend to accept one method (ie deposit in line) with one customer, then blindside them with another method (best auction price over wins). That's just bull*** and yes will be bad karma for Porsche, the dealers and the salesperson.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Why are you busting his *****? He never said any of that. All he said was he wanted to be put back on the list and given a fair shot at the process. I've been in his shoes, I saved and worked 20 years selling Gore-Tex clothing and wheeling around salesman racks when it was -10 below in the Dakotas. I had cash in hand and was a first time buyer and was told I was 2 years out. That blows. Want to know my opinion? Guys who have gotten multiple allocations and cars over the years should be HELPING guys like him get his car. That's good karma...
And how do you envision this help? Go to your dealer and say you have this friend, first time buyer, who wants one of those GT cars. Can you pull him on top of the list? Behind you of course. When asked you tell him that you don't know whether he will service the car there or not. You are just wanting to help a friend. Afterall you bought all those cars from them and thought they would do you this favor.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

The whole MSRP or RRP (recommended retail price) system was actually created to protect the manufacturer and their dealers from price discounting against each other to such an extent they bastardized the product and profitability. Points been lost when demand is far in excess of supply.

Maybe PCA or Porsche need to work out a new system and implement it.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:45 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
This comes up a lot in the US. Whilst does occur elsewhere, doesn't seem to be to the same extent. Whys that ?

Secondly, isn't what any buyer is asking is to say, what is the price and what is the process to acquire. If its a lottery, say its a lottery. Its its because you have 50 porches already you go to front of line then say that. If its a first in first deposit, the stick to it. If its a auction where best price over wins, then say that. But don't pretend to accept one method (ie deposit in line) with one customer, then blindside them with another method (best auction price over wins). That's just bull*** and yes will be bad karma for Porsche, the dealers and the salesperson.
This sums up my view exactly!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by ExMB
And how do you envision this help? Go to your dealer and say you have this friend, first time buyer, who wants one of those GT cars. Can you pull him on top of the list? Behind you of course. When asked you tell him that you don't know whether he will service the car there or not. You are just wanting to help a friend. Afterall you bought all those cars from them and thought they would do you this favor.
i guess I don't have an answer for you. You're right, there is not much another person could do. I think however if I was satisfied with my GT car and was one of the people that get an allocation every time a new model comes out I would gladly skip a round to get someone a car. Especially if I knew who he or she was..
Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 PM
hiroshikato1
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 168 Posts

Thank ypu for clarifying some of the questions many of the members had on the forum. I had a 2008 GT3 which I traded in for a 2015 GT3 and have since been offered a 2018 GT3 build spot. I never had any deposit and know that my dealer has turned down friends who have inquired about putting down a "deposit" in an attempt to secure a position. Those who have relationship with my dealership are allowed to put a $5000 deposit as a "sign of legitimate interest" but in no way is this a "guarantee" of a build spot or actual vehicle. Now, if you have a "Acknowledgement of Special Order Fee" the way Ferrari does for its specialty vehicles, that may be a different story as the dealerships only extend this agreement to people who have been vetted and place a $25,000 deposit.
So the question that some of the members may have is what type of deposit did you leave? Not to play devil's advocate but one might argue that this post was an attempt to somehow get Miller to put you on their list by posting a very negative post which should have never have happened if you were to have picked up the phone and called the SA or GM at the dealership.
I wish you the best of luck but I seriously doubt that putting you back on "the list" means anything except that there is probably an asterisk next to your name now that this has been displayed on a public forum, regardless of you changing the title recently.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by hiroshikato1
Thank ypu for clarifying some of the questions many of the members had on the forum. I had a 2008 GT3 which I traded in for a 2015 GT3 and have since been offered a 2018 GT3 build spot. I never had any deposit and know that my dealer has turned down friends who have inquired about putting down a "deposit" in an attempt to secure a position. Those who have relationship with my dealership are allowed to put a $5000 deposit as a "sign of legitimate interest" but in no way is this a "guarantee" of a build spot or actual vehicle. Now, if you have a "Acknowledgement of Special Order Fee" the way Ferrari does for its specialty vehicles, that may be a different story as the dealerships only extend this agreement to people who have been vetted and place a $25,000 deposit.
So the question that some of the members may have is what type of deposit did you leave? Not to play devil's advocate but one might argue that this post was an attempt to somehow get Miller to put you on their list by posting a very negative post which should have never have happened if you were to have picked up the phone and called the SA or GM at the dealership.
I wish you the best of luck but I seriously doubt that putting you back on "the list" means anything except that there is probably an asterisk next to your name now that this has been displayed on a public forum, regardless of you changing the title recently.
There is no confusion with 99% of us. A deposit is NOT a garuntee of anything. That said, it is told to us in good faith by the dealer that when a deposit is put down on a car that we will be served in order based on the criteria they set forth at that time. No more no less. As we all know that is happening about half the time. In my case my dealer kept their word through and through and at MSRP.

Quick Reply: Miscommunication surrounding 991.2 GT3 RS Deposit