Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US vs ROW: Why different take rates for MT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Porsche snobs....

Manually rowing gears whether in any 991 or yes even in a Miata (and on full throttle literally all the time in the Miata) is FAF.

Blasting up or down lightning shifts in PDK-S on a GT3/GT3RS is also super FAF. I can't even fathom in a godly GT2RS.

Can't ya'll get along? I mean if you're lucky to land a GT3.2, isn't that enough orgasm as it is?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It's because American drivers associate Manuals with drivers' cars and performance cars and European drivers associate Manuals with econoboxes. Crappy American cars tend to have automatics and crappy Euro cars tend to have manuals...

Here, knowing how to drive a stick is a point of pride and in Europe every grandma with a license knows how to drive a manual.
This guy, and wild weasel are hitting on the key influencing factors here, in my opinion. I will also say this with no malice- I think a lot of it is ego. We may also have a greater share of speculators investing in the "last NA manual 911!!!!!!"(ermmehgehhhrrrrd!!!) as well...

They are good fun though.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
Porsche snobs....

Manually rowing gears whether in any 991 or yes even in a Miata (and on full throttle literally all the time in the Miata) is FAF.

Blasting up or down lightning shifts in PDK-S on a GT3/GT3RS is also super FAF. I can't even fathom in a godly GT2RS.

Can't ya'll get along? I mean if you're lucky to land a GT3.2, isn't that enough orgasm as it is?
+1 Absolutely!!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Because Americans have smaller penises.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because Americans have smaller penises.
Only the Asian ones though, and that percentage of the population isn't that high, so that can't be the whole explanation.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Since it seems obvious that manual and PDK is a matter of preference, not a matter of which one is better, are we now exchanging personal histories about manual jeeps and trucks?

Okay then. I learned to drive on a WWII weapons carrier, then drove a ****** Jeep complete with bullet holes for authenticity to College. Both non-synchro manuals, but could climb hills and trees. I tried doing both. Then a Toyota SL, sweet little car with 4 speed. Somewhere long after a Honda Prelude was my bachelor days car, slick shifting 5 speed. Then a 996 C4S, then a Boxster S for the wife, both are still in my avatar, both 6 speed manuals. Progressively converted the 996 to a track toy, I can do the ballet of the 3 pedals with the best of them.

My incoming GT3? It's a PDK. HAH! It is my choice, I wanted it. Car and driver connectivity.....what?? My butt is connected to the seat, my hands are connected to the steering, my feet to the gas and brake pedal, all are connected to the car, and the car is connected to the road. My butt will tell me if the car is neutral, oversteering, understeering, commanding the pedals at my feet to let up or press more, my hands to turn the wheel more or loosen up more....Yes, my butt is the commander in chief of driving. What the heck will that lever in the middle of the console tell me, other than break the fine concert ballet of butt, hands and feet with the demand to get shoved up or down? That sucker is just a nuisance, I tell you. I got PDK to get rid of that nuisance
Bravo! Nailed it.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the best MT PDK thread so far. I guess a lot of people don’t know Porsche won LeMans with PDK back in the mid 80’s. It was just too big to put into a street sports car.
I learned to drive on an old Toyota station wagon manual that didn’t have much of a clutch so I revved matched back then to shift without using it. I’ve been driving a Porsche since 1982 and until 2009 everyone was a manual. I’ve done everything you can do with a manual for decades on the track and off. I saw how bad the old TipTronic was too. So when the PDK came out I said thank you very much.A Cup car comes with a sequential, all racing technology. I have never looked back.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

For me (EU-citizen), it's all about the inputs I provide and the difference I make in how the car behaves. Much like I feel happy and proud when I control a slight oversteer out of a corner and place the car exactly where I want it, the same feeling I get when I manage a couple of perfect heel/toe downshifts while braking for a corner. Not all inputs are perfect, but those who are are just that satisfying. So for me to do the work myself is adding a dimension to the driving. Imagine if car manufacturers introduced a system that hold and adjusts our powerslides... Oh wait....

I agree that on the track PDK would if not so much reduce laptimes, but definitely let me focus more on the other elements of driving. But as long as I'm not being paid a living to produce quick laptimes, I couldn't care less, I want to have maximum fun out of the car. For me that includes shifting. And I am very happy to give way to quicker (PDK?) cars on our track days

As input to the subject of the thread, I was actually surprised that ROW M/T share was as high as 25%. That's not too bad and indicates that the interest for M/T is still there and the GT3 is the right car for it. If you look at 991.2 GTS cars being offered on Mobile.de (both new and used), the M/T ratio seems <5%. Most likely Porsche has now got all the R&D investments back for the new 6sp gearbox. One can also discuss how much the M/T is cannibalizing on PDK sales, but at least in one case (me), the M/T meant an added sale...
Old 02-16-2018, 05:39 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 543 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
This is the best MT PDK thread so far. I guess a lot of people don’t know Porsche won LeMans with PDK back in the mid 80’s. It was just too big to put into a street sports car.
I learned to drive on an old Toyota station wagon manual that didn’t have much of a clutch so I revved matched back then to shift without using it. I’ve been driving a Porsche since 1982 and until 2009 everyone was a manual. I’ve done everything you can do with a manual for decades on the track and off. I saw how bad the old TipTronic was too. So when the PDK came out I said thank you very much.A Cup car comes with a sequential, all racing technology. I have never looked back.
I don't think that a 962 C PDK have won the 24 hours of Le Mans. To my knowledge, it wasn't reliable enough then. Also, it was really heavy.
But it was well used for shorter races.

The PDK was also tested into a 944 Turbo and an Audi S1 E2
Old 02-16-2018, 12:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

For those who didn't believe PDK was only 3 seconds faster at the Nordschliefe, check this out: Only 0.3 sec faster at Big Willow:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...t-test-review/
Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

For those who didn't believe PDK was only 3 seconds faster at the Nordschliefe, check this out: Only 0.3 sec faster at Big Willow:

Yeah, but you have to let go of the steering wheel just to shove that manual stick up or down. It's a damn distracting nuisance, I tell you.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

^I wish I can drive (and shift) like Randy Pobst.... #belikeRandy
Old 02-16-2018, 12:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bossing
^I wish I can drive (and shift) like Randy Pobst.... #belikeRandy
Yeah, he's a great driver. It sounded from the description as though he didn't use the Rev Match function (nor the No-Lift upshift function), so you can drive closer to Randy if you rely on those
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
Yeah, but you have to let go of the steering wheel just to shove that manual stick up or down. It's a damn distracting nuisance, I tell you.
Driving around in circles can get monotonous without a few entertaining distractions
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

wonder how the times compare when using non-professional drivers

Quick Reply: US vs ROW: Why different take rates for MT?