Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018 | 02:14 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Every manual car I've ever driven in my life has had shifter movement. It's normal.
I don't know but this feels like spring loaded when moving to the next gear, you can move the shifter a bit before you disengage from the current gear. Don't get me wrong the shifting action is one of the best but its just feels very different to other cars I have driven like 1m,z06,997 gt3 and they come out of gear soon as u move the shifter from your current gear.
But regarding shifter movement generating from the torque of the engine,There's maybe 1mm of movement in 4th , hardly noticeable.
Old 07-11-2018 | 02:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by fun2k
I don't know but this feels like spring loaded when moving to the next gear, you can move the shifter a bit before you disengage from the current gear. Don't get me wrong the shifting action is one of the best but its just feels very different to other cars I have driven like 1m,z06,997 gt3 and they come out of gear soon as u move the shifter from your current gear.
But regarding shifter movement generating from the torque of the engine,There's maybe 1mm of movement in 4th , hardly noticeable.
Best guess? It's because these cars use adjustable cables for linkage. You can go in and adjust tension and alignment of the cables. Porsche sells a little plastic tool/alignment plate that slips over the shifter assembly and then you can adjust the cables. There are videos on YouTube of this process. The tool looks kinda like a helicopter swashplate.
Old 07-11-2018 | 03:18 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Anyone have a video of this happening? I mean these things are mechanical. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the drivetrain/shift linkage moves to varying degrees that may be more or less pronounced on different cars, is it? I for one love the vibration and feedback of a manual gearbox, it's part of what makes them fun to drive.
Old 07-16-2018 | 11:06 AM
997 GT2
Track Day

Unhappy

Heute komme ich endlich mal dazu das Antwortschreiben meines PZ zum Thema des wackelnden Schathelbels hier einzustellen.
Tja früher war Porsche für mich ein Synonym für Präzision und Qualität. .....aber das ist mittlerweile wohl seit der VW Übernahme endgültig Geschichte!
Jetzt regiert dort offenbar nur noch die Geiz ist geil Mentalität und der Zufall entscheidet,
ob man als Kunde am Schluss ein wirklich perfektes Produkt für sein gutes Geld bekommt.
Für mich war's das dann jedenfalls mit der PAG für die Zukunft.
Dann genieße ich künftig lieber die italienischen Momente im Leben mit meinem F-458 spider!
Die Jungs im PZ haben sich jedenfalls maximale Mühe bei der Dokumentation gemacht und haben mit einem störungsfreien GT3 direkte Vergleichsfahrten per Video dokumentiert und hatten da aus ihrer fundierten Schrauber Erfahrung ihre eigenen Schlüsse gezogen und mir das auch so mitgeteilt ....Für ihre Offenheit mir gegenüber gab es dann auch noch einen ordentlichen Rueffel seitens der PAG, dass sie ja da gar nichts zu bewerten sondern nur die Fakten zu sammeln hätten!
Sprich Mitdenken wird ab sofort verboten!
Das bereits angelieferte AT Getriebe mussten sie wieder zurückschicken,
als die zuerst avisierte Freigabe seitens der PAG schließlich widerrufen wurde.

LG Klaus

via google translate
Today I finally get to the answer letter of my PZ to the topic of the wobbly shifter syndrom .
Well, in the past for me Porsche was a synonym for precision and quality ..... but that is now probably since the VW acquisition over and out.
Now there is apparently only the greed is cool mindset and chance decides
whether as a customer at the end of a really perfect product for his good money.
For me it was then with the PAG for the future.
In the future I would rather enjoy the Italian moments in life with my F-458 spider!
The guys in the PZ have made maximum efforts in the documentation anyway and have documented with a trouble-free GT3 direct comparison trips by video and had since their in-depth mechanics experience drawn their own conclusions and told me so synonymous that there is a problem in the gear box and that it should have been replaced for warranty reasons. .... For their openness to me there was also a decent admonishment of the PAG, because they have nothing to evaluate and to discuss with me, but only to collect the facts!
So thinking of the staff is now prohibited! The already delivered AT gearbox they had to send back,
when the first announced release by the PAG was finally revoked.
regards Klaus

my jetblack GT3 touring ;-)

Last edited by 997 GT2; 07-18-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2018 | 12:10 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Amazing response......................ignoring it for now, as it would be bad PR right after the 991.1 GT3 "forced by rennlist members meeting" 10 year warranty extension...........that 991.1 issue was not acknowledged with any real action until group push..............what is interesting with this issue is whether it will get worse over more miles and use?
Old 07-16-2018 | 12:14 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by abiazis
Amazing response......................ignoring it for now, as it would be bad PR right after the 991.1 GT3 "forced by rennlist members meeting" 10 year warranty extension...........that 991.1 issue was not acknowledged with any real action until group push..............what is interesting with this issue is whether it will get worse over more miles and use?
People keep using the word "issue." When there isn't one. Ok, so the gear lever moves. So what. What damage is it causing? If you can articulate what the actual problem is, I'm all ears. The gear lever moves in 4th in the 911R too. Why aren't there pages of 911R owners worrying about it?
Old 07-16-2018 | 12:19 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
People keep using the word "issue." When there isn't one. Ok, so the gear lever moves. So what. What damage is it causing? If you can articulate what the actual problem is, I'm all ears. Guess what, the gear lever moves in 4th in the 911R too. How come there aren't pages of 911R owners who spent $400K on the car worrying about it?
totally agree. I've had numerous manual cars that all demonstrated some degree of "flexing."

time will tell what will come out of this though.

p.s.
my .2GT3 has this "issue" y'all talking about
Old 07-16-2018 | 12:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree that it's a non-issue, unless it is a precursor to a future transmission failure (no evidence of that, afaik).
Old 07-16-2018 | 12:41 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

At this point it is a concern............No one knows until there is a research by Porsche or an independent engineering firm into the issue or complaint or observation....also the "flexing" could get worse over time - hopefully not for anyone........................I had two manual Porsches and no flexing or wobbling of the stick at all in any gear under any acceleration or deceleration......there have been some reports of replacements of GT3 manual transmissions overseas with certain cars showing the trait, so where there is "smoke there is fire" and Porsche does have a reputation for burying things for varying amounts of times, i.e. IMS for 10 years and 991.1 GT3 engine/roller issue, diesel issue, etc..if I had a manual I would have it checked out....the difficulty is that Porsche will advise dealers to advise owners all is well.........interesting to track this "flexing characteristic"........
Old 07-16-2018 | 01:09 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by abiazis
At this point it is a concern............No one knows until there is a research by Porsche or an independent engineering firm into the issue or complaint or observation....also the "flexing" could get worse over time - hopefully not for anyone........................I had two manual Porsches and no flexing or wobbling of the stick at all in any gear under any acceleration or deceleration......there have been some reports of replacements of GT3 manual transmissions overseas with certain cars showing the trait, so where there is "smoke there is fire" and Porsche does have a reputation for burying things for varying amounts of times, i.e. IMS for 10 years and 991.1 GT3 engine/roller issue, diesel issue, etc..if I had a manual I would have it checked out....the difficulty is that Porsche will advise dealers to advise owners all is well.........interesting to track this "flexing characteristic"........
There have been manual transmissions replaced in Europe. That's all that is known. You don't know why they were replaced.
Old 07-16-2018 | 02:00 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Again...as stated, and I agree, no one knows for sure.......

One or two of the past thread/forum comments some time ago said transmissions were replaced overseas after reporting the "wobble" in the stick in 4th........so that is not what would be a great sample size..........

The ball is in Porsches court on this one, and they for good reasons will most likely be VERY quiet about it........

We know they read this forum and are fully aware it is a topic of discussion, probably have seen the video of the "back and forth wobble" of the stick in 4th" and will have to address it, if they want to be responsible...........it will be interesting when/if the largest dealers, with a voice, start getting questions on this.............

As a person who was impacted by the IMS poor design, it was good to finally have information about a fix and in that case a solution for the years long IMS discussion, albeit through LN Engineering..........

Hopefully, IT IS NORMAL, but doesn't appear right.........
Old 10-16-2018 | 03:51 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

I was just checking to see if more people have lodged their concerns regarding the wobbly shifter here as more manual cars are now produced and in the hands of their owners. I have now close to 6K mikes on the odometer of my car, and the car has been to few track events and few autocrosses. The shifter movement in 4th gear does appear to be slightly worse with more miles, but still in my opinion minor. Otherwise the gearbox and shifter action appears solid and car runs great. Only trouble so far has been a replaced battery at 5K miles and replaced compressor at 3K miles. I will keep checking here and report back at 12K miles.
After driving 6K miles on GT3, And 12K on my GT4, and 11K on my 981 Spyder, I think the GT4 shifter feels slightly more Mechnical and more precise than the GT3, which I still believe has on of the best shifters I have ever driven. Again I am not really concerned about this movement in 4th, but was initially puzzled by this flexing and now I hardly notice it unless my palm is resting on the gear lever in 4th which I hardly do. Mark
The following users liked this post:
hellboy_mcqueen (05-31-2020)
Old 10-16-2018 | 06:11 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Following this thread... noticed mine doing this in 4th, and only in 4th, from the moment I drove off the lot. I can see it out of the corner of my eye. No big deal.... just different than any car I've ever driven.
Old 10-16-2018 | 11:57 PM
iphilips
Racer

Had mine since June, ~7000 miles, 8 track days, do not notice the wobble at 9000rpm in 4th gear - I'm too busy driving, looking at the road/track and enjoying the sound and feel of the car.

When I'm putting along on 101 in peak hour traffic and sloth into 4th gear and have my hand on the stick for longer than I should, you feel it wobble. That reminds me to go to the track more and not sit in traffic.
Old 02-13-2019 | 08:44 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

In my 991.2 GT3 at 6,000 RPM in 5th gear I get an erection every time.

Quick Reply: Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3