Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Light Flasher Modification?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brake Light Flasher Modification?

I've already performed a search on this forum, but was unable to find a clear and definitive answer for this. I apologize in advance if I just missed it.

A few weeks ago, I was at a stoplight when one wonderful person rear ended me in my M2 in broad daylight. The driver admitted he was "distracted", and I was... whatever.. all besides the point.

Anyways, I have long wanted to make my third brake light flash a few times when depressing the brake pedal. Searching online, there seems to be a slew of products out there, all claiming to be the "correct" one, whilst stating that many competing products don't work properly. However they all seem to be relatively simple relay based devices.

Sounds simple enough? Not really, I asked a very close friend of mine that works for Earthroamer (a very high end offroad expedition vehicle manufacturer), and he explained that the process is far from simple and cautioned me not to take such a modification lightly. He says that Porsche uses a can bus system that isn't likely to be simple. He advised against attempting to make such a modification unless I was using a Porsche approved device.

Anyone here have any thoughts or experiences with this?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:09 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Don't know who makes them but I can't stand the things. Three brake lights are enough, don't need one flashing.

Hope you didn't wind up with any injuries from your crash.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:28 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Don't know who makes them but I can't stand the things. Three brake lights are enough, don't need one flashing.

Hope you didn't wind up with any injuries from your crash.
I agree they are annoying but I think that's the point.....you see it.....and I also agree 3 lights are enough, but yet people still rear end others.....
Old 02-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

You can try this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Wouldn't a "distracted" driver equally not see a flashing brake light vs. a solid brake light? I can see how this might help at night, where hopefully the flashing light catches the "distracted" driver's peripheral vision but you're still dependent on his/her reaction time and brake quality. In stop and go traffic, when in my car, I tap the brakes a bit for 2 reasons (1) the action creates a similar flashing effect and (2) the real reason why I do it, tapping my brakes makes me appear to be one of those guys who brakes a lot. "Distracted" driver tend to pay more attention when they perceive the driver in front of them as a serial braker...it annoys the hell out of them, but they pay more attention, which is exactly what I want.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

There are several German manufacturer's that have this OEM in their home market. AFAIK only BMW on the X5 (I've read this on RL) seems to have gotten this approved by DOT.

Most people are so used to 3 brake lights now that something needs to get their attention of their phone while driving. Kind of like way back when during the test phases of the 3rd brake light.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:41 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Wouldn't a "distracted" driver equally not see a flashing brake light vs. a solid brake light? I can see how this might help at night, where hopefully the flashing light catches the "distracted" driver's peripheral vision but you're still dependent on his/her reaction time and brake quality. In stop and go traffic, when in my car, I tap the brakes a bit for 2 reasons (1) the action creates a similar flashing effect and (2) the real reason why I do it, tapping my brakes makes me appear to be one of those guys who brakes a lot. "Distracted" driver tend to pay more attention when they perceive the driver in front of them as a serial braker...it annoys the hell out of them, but they pay more attention, which is exactly what I want.
I'll leave you this. I was waiting at a stop light, car in neutral, foot off brake, and a pick up plowed into my car totaling it - said he didn't see me, or thought I was moving (eg.he was texting). Now I always pump my brakes a few times while sitting at a light if I see cars coming up on me. Maybe it's useless, but I think it helps.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing the driver was dreaming of a GT3 cabriolet.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
I'm guessing the driver was dreaming of a GT3 cabriolet.
Uh, which driver?

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Light Flasher Modification?