Sponsored by:

nOOb questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default nOOb questions...

As far as ownership, I am new to GT3s and have a few pre-buy questions. I have had quite a few 911s over the years but finally have the chance ( i. e. - wife's approval! ) to get one of these and I am looking at 2013 - 2015 991.1 models as I do want the PDK. Can you guys point me to a buyers guide for these models? Or tell me what to look for? What are the available options? Issues/problems with these overall, or any specific years? Anything diagnostic wise to look for through a scanner? ( like engine over revs, etc.)

Thanks so much in advance..

Marc
Old 02-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

The 991.1 GT3 were only made in 2014 and 2015.

The 2014 cars were suppose to be the one to get with the replacement engines and extended warranty.

But that's a moot point after the action group here got Porsche to extend the engine warranty for all engines.

They are all PDK so one cannot over rev them and like most Porsches they are quite bulletproof.

Your choices are basically down to colour, seats (bucket or sofa), front lift or no lift. All personal choices.

Mileage is a personal taste. Some people prefer low mileage cars, others would want a higher one so they can drive even more without worrying about value. Keep in mind that these are Porsches, they liked to be exercised, a lot, so one that's been sitting around too much may cause trouble later down the road.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

991.1 GT3 is model year 2014, 2015, 2016. VIN code position 10- E, F or G. I believe the number of G cars is small.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Ok. THanks!
Old 02-03-2018, 02:17 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

A few more questions... I've read some conflicting reports on this... I'm assuming this might be somewhat different than a base 911.

I understand Sport Chrono is an option...
Do these cars have a Sport and a Sport + mode ?
If so, can you get Sport + without having SC?
Or, can you get SC without getting Sport + ?
Do all 991.1 GT3s have launch control, or do you have to have the Sport + option for that? ( and the SC if needed )
- I guess the main question is, what do you have to have to get LC?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:35 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
A few more questions... I've read some conflicting reports on this... I'm assuming this might be somewhat different than a base 911.

Do all 991.1 GT3s have launch control, or do you have to have the Sport + option for that? ( and the SC if needed )
Sport Chrono is an option. I have it. It is a clock on dash. No sport or sport + mode, although we do have PDK sport. All 991 GT3’s have launch control. Foot on brake, floor it, then release brake. Nothing else to set.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:45 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The 991.1 GT3 were only made in 2014 and 2015.
Nope. 2014-2016.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

For MY2014 Sport Chrono is the dash clock. For MY2015+ Sport Chrono also includes the Track Precision App. PSE, PASM, PDK Sport mode are all the same on all cars, the Sport Chrono option does not affect these functions which is different than other 991s.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Every modern Porsche that's not a manual car have the simplest Launch Control system in the world. Step one the brake, step on the gas, release the brake and away you go.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Nope. 2014-2016.
4 posts up from yours someone else did the correction already.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:23 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
For MY2014 Sport Chrono is the dash clock. For MY2015+ Sport Chrono also includes the Track Precision App. PSE, PASM, PDK Sport mode are all the same on all cars, the Sport Chrono option does not affect these functions which is different than other 991s.
Originally Posted by robmypro
Sport Chrono is an option. I have it. It is a clock on dash. No sport or sport + mode, although we do have PDK sport. All 991 GT3’s have launch control. Foot on brake, floor it, then release brake. Nothing else to set.
OK, thanks clarifying. This is different than regular 991s as they have to have the Sport Chrono option to get the Sport + button to enable the defined Launch Control. Form what I understand now, to get the full benefit of LC, the GT3 has the PDK Sport button with or without the Sport Chrono option..

Every modern Porsche that's not a manual car have the simplest Launch Control system in the world. Step one the brake, step on the gas, release the brake and away you go.
Yes, but that is WAY different than a car with a defined LC!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

OK, thanks clarifying. This is different than regular 991s as they have to have the Sport Chrono option to get the Sport + button to enable the defined Launch Control. Form what I understand now, to get the full benefit of LC, the GT3 has the PDK Sport button with or without the Sport Chrono option..

Yes, but that is WAY different than a car with a defined LC!
It just means LC is always ready for you to use! Unlike other cars that take some button presses and switches and a zillion settings. By the time they are ready to launch you have done like 10 launches.

Even my Cayenne Turbo S has the LC and I don't need to be in any specific mode to have it enabled. That's the beauty of the Porsche system. The car knows you want launch control when you do the 2 pedal dance, it automatically engages LC. Fool proof.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:12 PM
thklinge
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

It just means LC is always ready for you to use! Unlike other cars that take some button presses and switches and a zillion settings. By the time they are ready to launch you have done like 10 launches.

Even my Cayenne Turbo S has the LC and I don't need to be in any specific mode to have it enabled. That's the beauty of the Porsche system. The car knows you want launch control when you do the 2 pedal dance, it automatically engages LC. Fool proof.
No. For the regular cars you need Sport Chrono and Sport Plus must be activated to use launch control.
The following users liked this post:
Macduc (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

Get one with LWBs (1 pc bucket seats) preferably with silver stitch and if you don't like them you can sell them to me.

I personally like the FAL even though it adds some weight and is another thing that might break down the road.

My GT3 doesn't have sports chrono clock/package which is fine with me. You don't need it to use the track PDK map or launch control (like you do need with most other P cars) and I use an AIM data system with my car so no interest in the P. track precision app.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:58 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Just my opinion, but I think the PDK in the .2 is much better than the .1 cars. Maybe try to drive both.

Quick Reply: nOOb questions...