Sponsored by:

Review of my 991.2 GT3 Manual - "US Club Sport" - Thank you GMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:42 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Review of my 991.2 GT3 Manual - "US Club Sport" - Thank you GMG

Let me start off by saying THANK YOU to GMG for consistently delivering awesome products. Dom Bautista has helped me every time (I'm on my 4th GT3 with GMG products) and has always ensured a smooth transaction. On my 2018, I wanted to make my car as similar to a stock European GT3 with the clubsport package as I could and I went with the GMG LMS roll bar because it resembled the factory clubsport roll bar. I also did a Schroth 6 pt for the driver and the Schroth 4pt for the passenger. I did the 4pt because I didn't want to cut into the seats. The 6pt was mounted to a GMG sub-strap mounting plate.

So, to the car! I took "delivery" October 2017 in Germany, and unfortunately due to issues with tourist registration and the German government, I was unable to take the car. However, Porsche was kind enough to give me a C2S loaner car and had no issues with me taking it to the track. See below for pictures of my car the day I took delivery and pictures of the loaner on Spa and the Nurburgring. I had fun to say the least!

Fast forward to December. My car has arrived and the first thing I do is put in the roll bar and harnesses. I break in the car, change the oil and it goes to the track. Wow!!!

My initial impression of the car on the street was more mid-range torque and a deeper tone to the motor. Very similar sound to the RS but without the sucking noise from the intakes right behind your ear. At lower RPM's and on downshifts it has this awesome popping/burbling noise that you didn't get in the .1 GT3. On track, I can only explain the differences to an extent because my local track was just repaved so I can't compare apples to apples. Additionally, the surface had no rubber and was a bit slick. HOWEVER, I still put down faster lap times than I did in my .1 GT3. With a manual!!

(Track was HPR in Colorado. I'll have it on Sebring in the near future as well)

My first few laps, I noticed that the car was a bit more twitchy on turn in than the .1 GT3. I think this could be attributed to both the updated RWS and new MPSC Tires. I also noticed this on the PDK test car I drove on the Leipzig track, but I didn't know that track like I do my local track which I have over 1000 laps on so I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Once you get used to it, you love it. At first, the car is a bit more difficult to drive than a .1 GT3 because it has more grip but at the same time the added mid range makes the car more prone to oversteer. In other words, you have to be a little quicker on steering corrections than you did with the old car. Once you get used to it, the car is magic!!! I truly enjoy my .2 more than the .1. My .1 sat a lot in the garage and with the new car, all I want to do is take it out and drive it. I've put more miles in a month than I did in a year on my last car.

All in all, I think the .2 is just a refined version of a .1. As we all would expect. However, the manual makes the car that much better (in my opinion). I've driven at least 50 different performance oriented vehicles in the past 15 years and I really think this is as good as it will ever get. N/A, manual, still somewhat raw. It really may be one of the last cars we see produced that offers such a unique and fun driving experience.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Last edited by Engeljizzle; 02-02-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice review, always great to hear other members impressions!! Car looks great with the roll bar too
Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Car looks great and I agree.

The .2, with this 4.0 and Manual, may be the one of the best and last you will see of this kind. Will be one you keep for a very long time and enjoy with a smile every time you want to dance with her.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Great review. Always love a white gt3! Looks awesome!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dom and James are great to deal with
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Great review and tasteful mods!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Great looking car and review!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

+1
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 AM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Great review and photos. Also, Englejizzle is a great guy - my wife and I met up with he and some of his friends at Nurburgring and Spa during European Delivery in October. Had a great time following him around those tracks - he is gracious, and fun and talented - and I met him on Rennlist. Then last weekend, bumped into he and some of the same friends at the Rolex 24! Its a small world, Rennlisters!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Nine1won
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Sweet ride and Love GMG! Scotty and James are great guys.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Good clean looking car!
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

OP is a great guy and excellent driver (thanks for the ride at HPR)

We were both driving Porsche loaners on the same day at Ring, but didn't know it at the time!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

Great car and I concur, GMG are great to deal with! Just curious, how much faster was the .2 around HPR vs. your .1? If you don't mind sharing.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
OP is a great guy and excellent driver (thanks for the ride at HPR)

We were both driving Porsche loaners on the same day at Ring, but didn't know it at the time!

Originally Posted by bellatrix
Great review and photos. Also, Englejizzle is a great guy - my wife and I met up with he and some of his friends at Nurburgring and Spa during European Delivery in October. Had a great time following him around those tracks - he is gracious, and fun and talented - and I met him on Rennlist. Then last weekend, bumped into he and some of the same friends at the Rolex 24! Its a small world, Rennlisters!
Thanks for the kind words guys! Had a blast with both of you. Grant, we gotta go back to the track again soon! Next time I should have the race car ready.

Bellatrix, great seeing you at Daytona 24. I can't believe we ran into you again ,maybe next time at an F1 race! It sure is a small world.

Quick Reply: Review of my 991.2 GT3 Manual - "US Club Sport" - Thank you GMG