Sponsored by:

2018 Rolex 24 from bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
It's about torque - either by displacement or FI.
I'll grant an element of truth to that statement, but bear in mind that if any manufacturer is shown to gain a performance advantage ( or experience a disadvantage), one can expect an offsetting BOP adjustment will be forthcoming.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
BOP for GTLM is not regulated by IMSA
Thanks CJ

CJ how do the cars go from being so close in time qualifying then after the first lap the Ford GTs were 1/2 lap ahead of the GTLM field LOL?

Also guys any track times (various tracks) 991.1 GT3RS vs Ford GT vs 991 GT2RS all stock

thanks
Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Blah, blah, blah FGT's are better/faster at this kind of racing and have better team management (Ganassi) same with the Corvettes. Get over it. Porsche racing are second cousins. Wait until Le Mans, same outcome
Oh no, I'm agreeing with the troll.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well - I'm finally going to say in public what I have privately raged to my wife since the 935 days ; Porsche only likes to go racing if it's either a money making proposition or doing it on someones elses's dime . Look at how the 956/962 were milked to death long after they were competitive . The GT1 was brilliant in the context of taking on the Mclaren F1 , but even the GT1 - 98 in it's final form wasn't much of a match for the CLK-GTR and the Toyota at the time . Fast forward to the 919 and they got a few good years out of it , but when it was time for a major redesign they pull out . There doesn't seem to be an appetite for keeping programs running consistently which is what keeps you competitive . Look at Audi running their LMP program through thick and thin - same with the Corvette program . I was stunned when GM kept the program going when the company had all it's financial woes and the cars had little ( one year none ) competition . I really admire them keeping the team together all those years . It probably would have made sense to play off the GT1 success to introduce a mid engine 911 with the 996 introduction ( rumored at the time ) and you'd have had a better baseline platform for racing production based cars , but it wasn't to be . The new RSR is a great design which could benefit from the torque a turbo would give , but at the same time some BOP adjustment could change things quite a bit too . That is likely the immediate solution . They've got their work cut out for them with the GTD / GT3 cars .
Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Best part of watching the race (after RSRs fell back) was seeing Trackcar's RS pacing the RSR around Sebring!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:55 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Best part of watching the race (after RSRs fell back) was seeing Trackcar's RS pacing the RSR around Sebring!
That commercial is a classic.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Great thread. Frankly I'm tired of threads about how someone is first in line at their dealer for the next GT car or threads about ADM's. Let talk some racing. It happens far to little on this forum IMO. And there are some great Porsche racing members around here I know this for a fact. Cj, got any thoughts? I think we all understand the secret to the FGT. But we were beaten soundly again by the front engine NA Corvettes again as well. Yes, they posses more torque, but what happened to winning these races on the fuel efficiency of the RSR. I have to imagine Daytona is the worst track as well to expose the RSR's weakness as well..
Old 01-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Agree - always makes me smile .
Old 01-28-2018, 09:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
That commercial is a classic.
Link please
Old 01-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I’m beginning to think we would’ve done better if it was actually Peter out there with his RS.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Originally Posted by ExMB
Link please
It's a Michelin commercial ; can't recall how many times I saw it over the span of my cable coverage . Maybe check YouTube ?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Liter
It's a Michelin commercial ; can't recall how many times I saw it over the span of my cable coverage . Maybe check YouTube ?
Thanx. Must be this one.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

From Sportscars 365. Interview with the winner FGT's Westbrook:
"Westbrook said. “To come away with our 200th win for Chip and with Dan Gurney on our car as well, it was just so sweet.”

The Brit explained that he had considered his chances of victory before the race, and didn’t expect difficult competition from all of his competitors.

“When I was weighing up the chances before the race, there was a one-in-four chance,” he said. “It was between us and the Corvettes or maybe the Ferrari thrown in.
Did Ford just say to heck with the BOP regs and win now, pay later? So what is it that Ford knows that we do not?
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ga...-race-to-lose/
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Great thread. Frankly I'm tired of threads about how someone is first in line at their dealer for the next GT car or threads about ADM's. Let talk some racing.
And there are some great Porsche racing members around here I know this for a fact. Cj, got any thoughts?
I think we all understand the secret to the FGT. But we were beaten soundly again by the front engine NA Corvettes again as well. Yes, they posses more torque, but what happened to winning these races on the fuel efficiency of the RSR. I have to imagine Daytona is the worst track as well to expose the RSR's weakness as well..
Like to know the answer to this:
I think we all understand the secret to the FGT

Couldit be they are built near me> Markham Ontario. LOL
TJ
Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I’m beginning to think we would’ve done better if it was actually Peter out there with his RS.
Mr. Purple to the rescue , LOVE IT

Quick Reply: 2018 Rolex 24 from bad to worse