2018 Rolex 24 from bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
When I was very young and lost at cards to my older brother and said he was lucky, my Grandad took me aside and said 'luck is a word used only by losers'. He encouraged me to always accept defeat with respect, congratulate the winner, and work harder so that one day I could be just as 'lucky'. Best lesson I ever got.
yep
Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

See attached BOP changes implemented by IMSA prior to the 24. Ford gets a fuel capacity and fuel flow restrictor increase while Porsche gets both reduced. Who controls IMSA? Who was Grand Marshall of the event looking for his 200th win? BOP folks.

Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out in terms of BOP and what happens at tracks more suited to the RSR’s strengths.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
FinalBoP.pdf (57.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

When I was very young and lost at cards to my older brother and said he was lucky, my Grandad took me aside and said 'luck is a word used only by losers'. He encouraged me to always accept defeat with respect, congratulate the winner, and work harder so that one day I could be just as 'lucky'. Best lesson I ever got.
Agreed. Hats off to the FGT Ganssi team. Great job.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

I wouldn't call us whiners per say, its just that the GT3R and RSR were just so UNCOMPETITIVE overall (especially given the marginal difference in qualifying times) that it begs the question...what the heck happened? Not accusing anyone of cheating however, as auto enthusiast and specifically Porsche die-hards, we want some kind of answers. BOP might explain it. We'll be following the racing season (Sebring is a must watch now) to see whether Daytona had characteristics that favored the FGT etc. but Porsche needs to address any deficits in the RSR for the brand's sake!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:49 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Anyone with a passing knowledge of IMSA endurance racing knows that the IMSA tries to dial up real competition among the brands it attracts with its balance of performance adjustments for each brand before each race. Occasionally IMSA overcomes politics, team strategy and actual technical differences to get the racing close and exciting for drivers and fans. When it fails as obviously as it did yesterday, its hilarious to see one brand just drive away from the competition whenever it wants to.

Hats off to Ford and Chip for pulling it off. Magic indeed.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

I was at the race, and I watched all but a few hours when I caught a nap in the middle of the night; as many people on this forum know, I go to most IMSA races and watch the rest in full (including WEC).

GTLM:

Porsche qualified third and fourth (out of a field of 9 cars - 2 Ford, 2 Corvette, 2 Porsche, 2 BMW, 1 Ferrari), but obviously didn't have the single lap pace to remain competitive. I can't say if the 911s were set up for cooler weather (as they were for Sebring 2017 when they came back after dark and nearly won) or rain or what. Whereas the 2017 Rolex 24 featured numerous cautions, this race ran with minimal cautions and resulted in the Fords running away from the rest of the GTLM field; this is easily the most dominant performance for the Ford GT since the car's debut two years ago at Daytona. The car is very aerodynamically efficient, a major benefit on the superspeedway.

The Ford drivers drove in formation for much of the race and looked to be driving to a pace (ie, they had pace in hand), whereas Porsche's drivers were having to push. Around midnight, Nick Tandy made what appeared to be an unforced error at the bus stop and the #911 car lost a good bit of time to repairs as a result.

As for the "blah blah blah" Porsche needs turbos to win commentary in this thread (I won't name specific names, but I think a lot of the commentary is from uninformed people that watch five minutes of a race and consider themselves "experts" based on how their chosen marque performs), Corvette won the title last year with NA power, Aston Martin won Le Mans with NA power, Cadillac won the race overall the past 2 years with NA power, etc. It's all down to BOP and how skillfully Porsche can lobby for themselves. There is a renewed emphasis on GT racing in the wake of the LMP1 departure (4 GTE Pro cars at Le Mans this year), and I expect they will "get it right" and enjoy some success this year.

As for the comments about Porsche not being a brand that excels in endurance racing... there was a display in the Porsche VIP suite that showcased diecast models of each Porsche overall winner at Daytona. The brand has more overall and class wins at Daytona (and Le Mans) than anyone else.

GTD:

Only a few 911s in the field of 21 GTD cars, and only one particularly strong team - Wright Motorsport

They had Patrick Long (Factory Shoe), Mathieu Jaminet (Porsche Junior Driver), Christina Nielsen (Sneaky Silver and repeat GTD champion), and Robert Renauer in the car.

Renauer spun at the kink on the warmup lap and damaged the car; they never recovered from the extensive repairs.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waxer

That is a good question. Qualifying times for the first three positions were proximately 1/10 of a second apart with Porsche sitting third on pole. The #911 RSR ran very strong up until about 10:30 PM and was in the hunt as I recall for one of the first three positions. Why the # 912 RSR couldn’t duplicate the same performance was a mystery to me.

Can no longer say at the Ford GT has the advantage of being a race car that was homlogated for the street in light of the fact that the RSR is a also race car but hasn’t ben homlogated for the street nor have they even pretended to. The C7R always runs strong. If there weren’t so many damn Corvettes I would be more interested in buying one. I do not believe C7R is super charged like it’s Street brother.

The magic of the Ford GT is not it’s engine. It is chassis and aerodynamics. I don’t know how much of an advantage in aerodynamics or chassis it has over the RSR but I would imagine it’s not that much If at all as I do not believe PAG would field a GTE purpose built car with an aerodynamic and chassis disadvantage. Unfortunately I do not believe the rules allow for active rear wheel steering which would give the RSR an advantage. Maybe it should be given this vantage in light of the power deficit it has.

hoping we all are just over reacting to a very poor first outing which I’m hoping is just attributable to bad luck .

As far as the streetcar track times I would imagine that the Ford GT track times are probably similar to the McLaren 675 LT. This would make it a click or two faster on longer tracks with lesser advantage and closer times on tighter tracks as the RS has the its rear wheel steering advantage unlike the RSR. I would also think the GT2 RS will be significantly faster than either .

Hoping we just had crappy luck for the first outing and that PAG will get its act together. It better if it is going to compete against chip Ganassi and the FGT. The RSR did finish in second last year at Daytona behind Ferrari.

The engine positioning of the 911 RSR does not require a waiver. Period.

The Corvette race engine is a 5.5L NA engine that has nothing in common with any C7 street engine (except 8 cylinders and overhead valves)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
I wouldn't call us whiners per say, its just that the GT3R and RSR were just so UNCOMPETITIVE overall (especially given the marginal difference in qualifying times) that it begs the question...what the heck happened? Not accusing anyone of cheating however, as auto enthusiast and specifically Porsche die-hards, we want some kind of answers. BOP might explain it. We'll be following the racing season (Sebring is a must watch now) to see whether Daytona had characteristics that favored the FGT etc. but Porsche needs to address any deficits in the RSR for the brand's sake!
Exactly. Not interested in excuses. Simply enjoy talking about this stuff and want to learn and understand what happened. I don't need a bunch of life lesson quotes. I grew up in the Midwest in the 60's and 70's. I'm all good in that department.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I was at the race, and I watched all but a few hours when I caught a nap in the middle of the night; as many people on this forum know, I go to most IMSA races and watch the rest in full (including WEC).

GTLM:

Porsche qualified third and fourth (out of a field of 9 cars - 2 Ford, 2 Corvette, 2 Porsche, 2 BMW, 1 Ferrari), but obviously didn't have the single lap pace to remain competitive. I can't say if the 911s were set up for cooler weather (as they were for Sebring 2017 when they came back after dark and nearly won) or rain or what. Whereas the 2017 Rolex 24 featured numerous cautions, this race ran with minimal cautions and resulted in the Fords running away from the rest of the GTLM field; this is easily the most dominant performance for the Ford GT since the car's debut two years ago at Daytona. The car is very aerodynamically efficient, a major benefit on the superspeedway.

The Ford drivers drove in formation for much of the race and looked to be driving to a pace (ie, they had pace in hand), whereas Porsche's drivers were having to push. Around midnight, Nick Tandy made what appeared to be an unforced error at the bus stop and the #911 car lost a good bit of time to repairs as a result.

As for the "blah blah blah" Porsche needs turbos to win commentary in this thread (I won't name specific names, but I think a lot of the commentary is from uninformed people that watch five minutes of a race and consider themselves "experts" based on how their chosen marque performs), Corvette won the title last year with NA power, Aston Martin won Le Mans with NA power, Cadillac won the race overall the past 2 years with NA power, etc. It's all down to BOP and how skillfully Porsche can lobby for themselves. There is a renewed emphasis on GT racing in the wake of the LMP1 departure (4 GTE Pro cars at Le Mans this year), and I expect they will "get it right" and enjoy some success this year.

As for the comments about Porsche not being a brand that excels in endurance racing... there was a display in the Porsche VIP suite that showcased diecast models of each Porsche overall winner at Daytona. The brand has more overall and class wins at Daytona (and Le Mans) than anyone else.

GTD:

Only a few 911s in the field of 21 GTD cars, and only one particularly strong team - Wright Motorsport

They had Patrick Long (Factory Shoe), Mathieu Jaminet (Porsche Junior Driver), Christina Nielsen (Sneaky Silver and repeat GTD champion), and Robert Renauer in the car.

Renauer spun at the kink on the warmup lap and damaged the car; they never recovered from the extensive repairs.
Great post..,
Old 01-29-2018, 03:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Yep. We make our own luck.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

GTLM:

GTD:

+1. The next GT3R due in 2019 will be NA, homologated on the .2RS. With a much bigger push globally, especially in Blancpain, I think we will see more of the car's true capability, as displayed the past 2 years in PWC. Plenty of turbo cars in GT3, yet NA Porsche is still very competitive.

RSR will be fine. I expect some wins this year. Last year they shot themselves in the foot in pit lane on numerous occasions, along with some mechanical bad luck that cost them potential wins. They didn't lose because of NA engines, or lack of "torque" because no turbo engine.

When Porsche flipped the engine, it shifted the weight percentage by only 1%. This is what Porsche admits. This isn't a "true" mid-engine car, which is why Porsche still doesn't call it mid-engine because the weight balance is still not as "ideal" as the true mid-engine race cars like the Ferrari or Ford. It's like people expected some magical performance increase by switching to the supposedly perfect mid-engine layout. Now that wins aren't piling up, it must be the motor's fault.....LOL. Then when the turbo lovers finally get a turbo RSR, and it loses, what will they blame it on then? BOP finally? LOL.

The days of glorious, bespoke NA engines are dwindling to zero quickly, and nobody should be in a hurry for that to happen.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

GTLM:

As for the "blah blah blah" Porsche needs turbos to win commentary in this thread (I won't name specific names, but I think a lot of the commentary is from uninformed people that watch five minutes of a race and consider themselves "experts" based on how their chosen marque performs), Corvette won the title last year with NA power, Aston Martin won Le Mans with NA power, Cadillac won the race overall the past 2 years with NA power, etc.
Missed the point. It's about torque either thru displacement or FI. As you know from watching all of the races, there is qualifying speed (momentum - clear track) and racing speed.

BTW - no lobbying on BOP now driven thru data gathering
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by brake dust
Missed the point. It's about torque either thru displacement or FI. As you know from watching all of the races, there is qualifying speed (momentum - clear track) and racing speed.

BTW - no lobbying on BOP now driven thru data gathering
If you want to argue with me you need to come correct - IMSA does not use the "Auto BOP" that WEC adopted last year.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:25 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As for the "blah blah blah" Porsche needs turbos to win commentary in this thread (I won't name specific names, but I think a lot of the commentary is from uninformed people that watch five minutes of a race and consider themselves "experts" based on how their chosen marque performs), Corvette won the title last year with NA power, Aston Martin won Le Mans with NA power, Cadillac won the race overall the past 2 years with NA power, etc. It's all down to BOP and how skillfully Porsche can lobby for themselves.
The variance in approach (NA vs turbo) is not the important part. The variance is in the driveability, power band, and fuel economy that the cars can produce. A Corvette engine of 5.5L can be of particular use. First, it's stupidly simple to make and work on. Second, it's cheap for them to rebuild (not that budget is of great concern). Third, when you cap the top end power, you can rebuild the rest of it so that it makes grunt right from idle. Go ask Katech (former builders of the Corvette engine) how much "unrestricted" horsepower one of those things can made. They'll either not answer the question or say "not a whole lot more than it did with the restrictor because the engine's built around the restrictor". If Porsche's got a 4.5L flat 6 hiding someplace that they can use, that'd be helpful. Otherwise, using an engine that's got roughly the same displacement as their current engine is going to require forced induction.

To take this a bit further, someone posted in one of the other forums that the top speed of the 911 was roughly that of the other cars. That said, terminal velocity isn't the end game, it's just part of the equation. It matters how quickly you reach terminal velocity and when the Fords are slipperier and the Vettes and Ferraris jump out of the corners, that means even a factory shoe like Tandy has to be driving at 10/10's all the time to keep pace. The other thing to consider is that with the other cars in the class having such a torque advantage over the RSRs, the BOP has to think outside the box to appropriately balance the Porsche. Essentially, all other things considered, they would need to be open-minded enough to say "We're willing to give Porsche a higher top speed at the end of the straightaway because they're slower to get to terminal velocity." That takes a leap of faith on their part and the understanding of the other teams (good luck with that) before there's a good deal of complaining. If Porsche had a similar powerband to the other cars, it would be easier for the BOP to "get it right" and not essentially exclude or favor Porsche.

Porsche said they wanted to go the NA route because the BOP was going to get it right. Turbos add weight and complexity. If you can race a NA motor, it's better because there's less that can go wrong and you get the same performance through BOP. Torque is the extra bullet in your gun and I don't think that the BOP "got it right" yesterday.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:44 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Big "mistery" why they didn t go 4.5L rather than only hoping tyres efficiency and on BoP

Quick Reply: 2018 Rolex 24 from bad to worse