Sponsored by:

2018 Rolex 24 from bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Hmmm, Ford makes a GT car that wins that you can't buy (at least not without being "selected" by them) and Porsche makes a GT car that doesn't win and that you can buy but only after they demand huge ADM's.

Is it me or is something wrong with this picture?

Agreed. Days of NA being competitive are over. Begs the question if NA's can't be competitive maybe I give up RS and go for 488 and call it a day. Candidly, if I'm putting out $200 large + on a "GT" car with race pedigree from a company with rich race history I want a GT car that's competitive with it's competition....that's part of price isn't it? Isn't its ability to win as important as PTS, CXX, color coordinated air vents etc...... I can go buy a C7 Z06 for $80K with the Z06 package whose GT counterpart consistently finishes in the money and is compeititive.

That's part of the prestige, panache' and aura of owning a Porsche GT car...isn't it??? Owning a car whose motorsport counterpart is a winner or at least competitive?

If all they are doing is running 4 seconds off the pace and sweeping up the rear PAG better get it's chit together otherwise alot of guys will lose interest in chasing a car on the showroom floor on Mondays whose motorsport counterpart is non competitive on Saturday and Sunday. My sentiment anyway. Makes it less apetitizing to fight the crowds, beg, borrow, steal and trade first born for a car that can't even win. Oh, and offer up the wife for a night if they offer you PTS. B.S. if you ask me.

I hope Mr. Walliser and AP are reading this thread. ...Guys, field a car that wins or is at least competitive. I don't want to pay 2.5 times the price of a competitive Chebby and ADMs to boot for a loser. NA or no NA. Do what has to be done to win. People aren't interested in losers.

I was thinking of going to the Rolex despite a busy schedule. I would have been seriously dissapointed and frustrated had I gone. Glad I didn't. At least I was able to turn the T.V. off and go back to my desk.

Oh, well. At least I do own gen II FGT.
Aggressive, but I agree. It does matter to me and many of us that the brand we buy and love wins on track. Seems to me Porsche could do it in their sleep if they wanted to. Racing is everything to Porsche, has been for 5 decades and they do the best job of building and marketing their GT cars off of it. Better than anyone. That said, not sure why they have been asleep at the switch now for 3 plus years. I'm sure someone will chime in with the no funds because of a need to be profitable to the shareholders story like everything else these days.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:54 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Can anyone tell me what actually happened to car 911 - Tandy? Driving, I think..turned my head and all I saw was it spinning. Cold Tires or ?
Tough weekend for the P Car.
Time for the Design and Engineering group to bring on some Positive change....Mid Engine and More are necessary.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:01 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blah, blah, blah FGT's are better/faster at this kind of racing and have better team management (Ganassi) same with the Corvettes. Get over it. Porsche racing are second cousins. Wait until Le Mans, same outcome
Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Blah, blah, blah FGT's are better/faster at this kind of racing and have better team management (Ganassi) same with the Corvettes. Get over it. Porsche racing are second cousins. Wait until Le Mans, same outcome
It seems that way. Hard to get over it though when you have loyalty to brand, they tout themselves as a brand born in racing, have a rich history in racing, sell GT cars that are hard to get, that you have to fight to get and demand ADMs.

At least sell us a car we have to fight to get and pay ADMs for that win or are at least competitive. PAG could certainly be competitive and win for sure if they really wanted to. I think it comes down to "profit", hanging on to NA because of the old guard and die hards and trying to win with less to fatten the bottom line. Look at the profits on their cars and as a company. Staggering.

No one can say with any credibilty PAG can't build a GT car that will win against the FGT. Look at the GT2RS. That's the clue. .

A mid engined tt turbo 911 GT and RSR with 650 hp. This is the answer.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:23 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems that way. Hard to get over it though when you have loyalty to brand, they tout themselves as a brand born in racing, have a rich history in racing, sell GT cars that are hard to get, that you have to fight to get and demand ADMs.

At least sell us a car we have to fight to get and pay ADMs for that win or are at least competitive. PAG could certainly be competitive and win for sure if they really wanted to. I think it comes down to "profit", hanging on to NA because of the old guard and die hards and trying to win with less to fatten the bottom line. Look at the profits on their cars and as a company. Staggering.

No one can say with any credibilty PAG can't build a GT car that will win against the FGT. Look at the GT2RS. That's the answer key.
Kind of agree. But really how many guys here race their $200,000+ GT3's and RS's? They are garage queens (at least based on the over the top garage enclosures I see here) As for ADM. those that choose to spend/waste their money in that regard is their business. Fords 'halo effect' they get and the assocated 'bragging rites' from winning races are to sell other Ford products NOT their $450,000 GT's. They are better/fatser cars for their intended market...not the street like our P cars. The GT2RS is never going to be competitive at endurance racing. Period
Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by TJ993
Can anyone tell me what actually happened to car 911 - Tandy? Driving, I think..turned my head and all I saw was it spinning. Cold Tires or ?
Tough weekend for the P Car.
Time for the Design and Engineering group to bring on some Positive change....Mid Engine and More are necessary.
Self inflicted. Not sure if cold tires, way late on the brakes, car came unsettled off the curb and it was over...
Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 636 Likes on 304 Posts

Down more on tq than power. Car is based on a road going 85k base Carrera!! FGT is basically a GT1 car that just slips under the rules radar and that IMSA/ACO have allowed to roll in with big money!! They made the race car and homologated a few for the road. They are made by Mulitmatic who makes both road and car versions!! What Porsche need is a clean sheet 960 mid engine turbo ground up developed halo non electric car. The mule IS sitting somewhere in Weissach. BUT they got hammered on Dieselgate and are all in on Electric so the board isn't going to allow that sort of frivolous spending that has zero relevance for what they perceive as the future!!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:58 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Down more on tq than power. Car is based on a road going 85k base Carrera!! FGT is basically a GT1 car that just slips under the rules radar and that IMSA/ACO have allowed to roll in with big money!! They made the race car and homologated a few for the road. They are made by Mulitmatic who makes both road and car versions!! What Porsche need is a clean sheet 960 mid engine turbo ground up developed halo non electric car. The mule IS sitting somewhere in Weissach. BUT they got hammered on Dieselgate and are all in on Electric so the board isn't going to allow that sort of frivolous spending that has zero relevance for what they perceive as the future!!
Bingo. See, told you

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-28-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

scratching my head about guys whinging about turbo this turbo that. last i checked Corvette won the 2017 GTLM manufacturers championship and finished one-two in the drivers championship.

it's all down to BOP full stop. IMSA controls the game.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

I am going to store some of these quotes and play them back when Porsche goes Turbo in their GT cars. I am sure I will hear the howls of hypocritical derision from the opposite side of the world.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,234 Likes on 608 Posts

BOP for GTLM is not regulated by IMSA
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm, Ford makes a GT car that wins that you can't buy (at least not without being "selected" by them) and Porsche makes a GT car that doesn't win and that you can buy but only after they demand huge ADM's.

Is it me or is something wrong with this picture?

Agreed. Days of NA being competitive are over. Begs the question if NA's can't be competitive maybe I give up RS and go for 488 and call it a day. Candidly, if I'm putting out $200 large + on a "GT" car with race pedigree from a company with rich race history I want a GT car that's competitive with it's competition....that's part of price isn't it? Isn't its ability to win as important as PTS, CXX, color coordinated air vents etc...... I can go buy a C7 Z06 for $80K with the Z06 package whose GT counterpart consistently finishes in the money and is compeititive.

That's part of the prestige, panache' and aura of owning a Porsche GT car...isn't it??? Owning a car whose motorsport counterpart is a winner or at least competitive?

If all they are doing is running 4 seconds off the pace and sweeping up the rear PAG better get it's chit together otherwise alot of guys will lose interest in chasing a car on the showroom floor on Mondays whose motorsport counterpart is non competitive on Saturday and Sunday. My sentiment anyway. Makes it less apetitizing to fight the crowds, beg, borrow, steal and trade first born for a car that can't even win. Oh, and offer up the wife for a night if they offer you PTS. B.S. if you ask me.

I hope Mr. Walliser and AP are reading this thread. ...Guys, field a car that wins or is at least competitive. I don't want to pay 2.5 times the price of a competitive Chebby and ADMs to boot for a loser. NA or no NA. Do what has to be done to win. People aren't interested in losers.

I was thinking of going to the Rolex despite a busy schedule. I would have been seriously dissapointed and frustrated had I gone. Glad I didn't. At least I was able to turn the T.V. off and go back to my desk.

Oh, well. At least I do own gen II FGT.
The guys running the Corvette's beg to differ. Took pole, both cars ran well, and will be a force this season. You can also cruise on down to your dealer and buy one without much fuss
Old 01-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
GTK but I trust you get my point

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/imsa-sets-roar-bop/
Old 01-28-2018, 07:39 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
scratching my head about guys whinging about turbo this turbo that. last i checked Corvette won the 2017 GTLM manufacturers championship and finished one-two in the drivers championship.

it's all down to BOP full stop. IMSA controls the game.
It's about torque - either by displacement or FI.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Was this a recent change? A couple of years ago Aston pulled out of the States because they were not happy with BOP.

Quick Reply: 2018 Rolex 24 from bad to worse