GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i dont know. i am sure the engineers have their reason
Old 01-25-2018 | 01:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Mooty: Why doesn't Porsche use "real" centerlocks on all GT cars? People would pay up to be done with the shoddy design.
Because an F1 wheel nut can only be used once, and they are hella expensive, even for F1 teams. And then speak nothing of the wheel gun needed to drive and spin the nuts into the socket.
Old 01-25-2018 | 08:37 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911therapy
The brake pedal depressor works great from keeping the wheel from spinning. But, you also have to be careful with the front wheels turning side to side (turning the steering wheel).
Ah!! Good to know!! Sounds like I'm better off just ensuring I've got a helper around when I do it. Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of it.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why are you changing your own wheels?
Because I don't have servants to do it for me?? It might be a hassle, but it's still less a hassle than having to book an appointment and get to a dealer just to have my wheels swapped around.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because an F1 wheel nut can only be used once, and they are hella expensive, even for F1 teams. And then speak nothing of the wheel gun needed to drive and spin the nuts into the socket.
Beat me to it. I looked into this a while back out of curiosity and you're right. The ones used in racing are expensive and disposable and not nearly as pretty. The ones on the street cars can be thought of as a tribute to the racing ones rather than having ANY of the advantages they're actually meant to provide. The fact that they're standard on the track-focused cars blows my mind.
Old 01-25-2018 | 08:42 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

This is a bit more difficult than 5 lug, but it’s about 90% less difficult than 911therapy describes. Just get the little doohickey from the frunk. Makes it easy. The biggest pain to me is that the small lever that comes in the frunk won’t pop the center emblem without bending it, you need a small flathead screwdriver.
Old 01-25-2018 | 09:07 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
This is a bit more difficult than 5 lug, but it’s about 90% less difficult than 911therapy describes. Just get the little doohickey from the frunk. Makes it easy. The biggest pain to me is that the small lever that comes in the frunk won’t pop the center emblem without bending it, you need a small flathead screwdriver.
I saw some instructions somewhere about a right and wrong way to do this. The right way wasn't obvious. You don't just hook the edge of the center cap with the tip of the tool. You actually get the tool right behind it somehow.

I'm sure someone that's actually done it can clarify or post a pic or something. Or maybe you already know this and it's still a pain. I have no first hand experience.
Old 01-25-2018 | 09:20 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

You're right, if I had known I could force the lock nut out, it would have saved me probably 30 to 45 minutes time and a lot of backbreak torquing and re-torquing
Old 01-25-2018 | 09:22 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I saw some instructions somewhere about a right and wrong way to do this. The right way wasn't obvious. You don't just hook the edge of the center cap with the tip of the tool. You actually get the tool right behind it somehow.

I'm sure someone that's actually done it can clarify or post a pic or something. Or maybe you already know this and it's still a pain. I have no first hand experience.
For removing the centercap, A small flat head screw driver is much easier than the little tool. I tried both last night. The little tool doesnt quite go deep enough. It goes just deep enough to almost split the centercap in half. Which would suck.
Old 01-25-2018 | 09:23 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, and supposed to be lighter too. It's none of the 3...
You also need to replace all the CL nuts every 10000km of track usage.
Old 01-25-2018 | 10:31 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Yup I swapped my center caps out with chrome P crest caps from suncoast ($240 +ship) now all crinked up , Thanks for sdriver tip
Old 01-25-2018 | 12:26 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

For removing the centercap, A small flat head screw driver is much easier than the little tool. I tried both last night. The little tool doesnt quite go deep enough. It goes just deep enough to almost split the centercap in half. Which would suck.
you all are using that tool wrong.

when you go to insert it, make sure its seated deep behind the plastic, and not the foil......do it a few times, and you'll feel the difference. The tool is super easy, just imagine yourself trying to get that lever deeper than it should, and you'll end up behind the cap and the the foil.
Old 01-25-2018 | 12:32 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

from the time u stated and the # of gloves you used, you are doing it correctly.
now 15 min does that include cleaning off the goop you got all over the CL nut?
haha, no way!.....I tell myself I leave the grease on them since they match the forgelines better now.

In all seriousness, I keep two sockets, one on a dedicated torque wrench, and one on a breaker, and I found its faster to tighten to spec/loosen/re-tighten in this method as opposed to flipping the head of the torque wrench per the wrench manual. Also, I have a derlin tool that is for the center lock itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Center-Lock...1UEgKQ&vxp=mtr

Oh, and get the derlin wheel alligner that the RL member makes, its a life saver!
Old 01-25-2018 | 12:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1

when you go to insert it, make sure its seated deep behind the plastic, and not the foil......do it a few times, and you'll feel the difference. The tool is super easy, just imagine yourself trying to get that lever deeper than it should, and you'll end up behind the cap and the the foil.
Exactly - there is a little notch at one point behind the cap. If you insert the tool fully into the notch, should be pretty easy to pop out cap without damage...
Old 01-25-2018 | 01:27 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1

Well your tool must be longer than mine, because no amount of jamming, cussing or glove-changing will get my tool in far enough...
Old 01-25-2018 | 02:28 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

The brake pedal depressor works great from keeping the wheel from spinning. But, you also have to be careful with the front wheels turning side to side (turning the steering wheel).
Unless I'm forgetful, doesn't the steering column lock prevent the wheels from turning side to side? Mooty encouraged me dress up my RS with BBS wheels and I don't recall having any issues with this........

Last edited by Rick-A-Shay; 01-25-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2018 | 03:19 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

I ordered from Suncoast. Part number 99907353001

Cheap and easier than reversing and shaving the threads I think
How many do I need for the front on the 991.2 GT3? I'm going to run 19's and after alignment the rims I'm using will hit the OEM lower control arm bolts. I like the idea of replacing the bolts instead of shaving them.

Quick Reply: F&*%ing centerlock's - now appreciate Orthojoe's Avatar