GT3, R8, or 570S

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:06 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,233 Likes on 608 Posts

My wife and I just did a back to back on the new R8 vs a 570 spider.

Noise: R8
Power delivery: tie
Suspension: 570
Steering: 570
Flair: 570 (color dependent)
Comfort: r8 (less road noise)
Transmission: tie

Some of these measures are very close- the biggest sensation differences in the car- the R8 traction control bites by braking at the rear wheels while the 570 TCS basically retards power delivery. A lot of people complain about turbo lag but are driving with ESC on. Try it off. Slide sideways. Commence laughter.

The chassis of both cars are very stiff. There is no roll or twist in an R8 compared to a 911. Way flatter platform.

In regards to understeer etc...go get your R8 aligned. Do the same stuff we do on the Gt3- increase rear roll bar stiffness, put a tiny bit of rake in the car, give it a little more camber. Voila.

The biggest issue with R8 for me is that it's really hard to find a unique spec, although we did order 3 PTS cars that are coming in.

For an occasional track day- the 570 is most fun when you can drive TCS / ESC off.

For long road trips, hard to say as luggage space clearly an issue with both.

First world problems but for the market pricing situation the R8 is easy entry, no games, lots of dealers. Definitely need to have 2nd or 3rd car as prior scribes noted with McLaren- dealers are further spread out. If you are close to us- Most mclaren dealers work WAY harder to make the ownership special vs R8/Porsche dealers. I sell all 3 and can say nobody ever invited me to an event because i bought a porsche.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:01 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Some of these measures are very close- the biggest sensation differences in the car- the R8 traction control bites by braking at the rear wheels while the 570 TCS basically retards power delivery. A lot of people complain about turbo lag but are driving with ESC on. Try it off. Slide sideways. Commence laughter.

The chassis of both cars are very stiff. There is no roll or twist in an R8 compared to a 911. Way flatter platform.

In regards to understeer etc...go get your R8 aligned. Do the same stuff we do on the Gt3- increase rear roll bar stiffness, put a tiny bit of rake in the car, give it a little more camber. Voila.

The biggest issue with R8 for me is that it's really hard to find a unique spec, although we did order 3 PTS cars that are coming in.

For an occasional track day- the 570 is most fun when you can drive TCS / ESC off.

First world problems but for the market pricing situation the R8 is easy entry, no games, lots of dealers. Definitely need to have 2nd or 3rd car as prior scribes noted with McLaren- dealers are further spread out. If you are close to us- Most mclaren dealers work WAY harder to make the ownership special vs R8/Porsche dealers. I sell all 3 and can say nobody ever invited me to an event because i bought a porsche.
Free shirt and hat, free track day, access to Pebble VIP tent, launch events...Porsche sent me a pen, catalogs of cars and models of cars that I can't get an allocation for lol.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
All my GT3’s have been serious dude magnets
so true! Getting gas in my 3, guys come ask me questions. In my buddies 650s, it’s women...

fwiw, the 650 makes the gt3 drive like a Cadillac full of cement blocks, but I wouldn’t drive it as a track car. It’s insanely powerful and expensive.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

with all this talk about watches I'm looking for a nice watch. I really like the calatrava collection but I don't want to spend THAT much...

any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I kind of think of McLaren as Richard Mille.
Not a bad analogy. "racing machine for the wrist" although I would argue Mille = McLaren only for 720S/P1/Senna lol.

Originally Posted by gago1101

Ok, I guess agree with the list with one exception. A. Lange? I see Lange as Bugatti or Pagani. will trade a Patek and may be 2 of them for a nice Lange any day.
x2. Would take Patek over Lange though!

Originally Posted by jlee504
with all this talk about watches I'm looking for a nice watch. I really like the calatrava collection but I don't want to spend THAT much...

any suggestions?
Wow will you open Pandora's box. Totally subjective and extremely dependent on budget. Go Swiss, and I prefer steel (both case and bracelet) for durability/ease of wear so that would be Rolex...

IMO - 0-30K Rolex, 30K-100K Patek/AP (prefer Patek), 100K+ I would go Patek or Mille lol. Love watches and don't want to derail OP's thread even more than I already have but PM me and I'd be happy to help being a WIS (watch idiot savant) if want to discuss more!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:52 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

any suggestions?

A. Lang & Sohne Datograph

But I’m horrible at recommending things...

Old 01-25-2018, 10:03 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3

A. Lang & Sohne Datograph

But I’m horrible at recommending things...
Reverse side of this watch looks even better. This is why I love Lange!

PS: Naturally aspirated, all analog! Lol
Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Guys he said the Calatrava series was already on the high end for him (I am in the same boat) and you are showing him A. Lange.....lol
Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

any suggestions?
Look at Jaeger /JLC, best bang for the buck. I would get JLC perpetual calendar over the calatrava.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

I agree 100%. My next car will not be a Porsche I’m between the R8 and 570.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I only wear Panerai these days. IMO Panerai=McLaren
Both have special editions every year
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

any suggestions?
I'm picking up my new Heuer Carrera Calibre tomorrow. At around $5k I know it's pretty pedestrian by Rennlist standards, but I think it's pretty cool and I'm excited.

Last edited by Archimedes; 01-26-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

any suggestions?
For something in a similar style and layout, look at the IWC Portofino line.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm picking up my new Heuer Carrera Calibre tomorrow. At around $5k I know it's pretty pedestrian by Rennlist standards, but I think it's pretty cool and I'm excited.
Nice. I'm also a Tag guy... have a few stashed and although it's not even close to the high end selection of timepieces I still like TH, always did.

A few years ago I snagged a Calibre 1887 Carrera Chronograph like this one:

Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

Ok, I guess agree with the list with one exception. A. Lange? I see Lange as Bugatti or Pagani. will trade a Patek and may be 2 of them for a nice Lange any day.
I said it was an A. Lange equivalent because McLaren is fairly new relatively in the watch world. There are some basic McLarens like the 570s that I would consider a Lange 1815 and some higher end McLarens like the p1 which would be a limited complication. Also Lange is one of Patek(Ferrari’s) biggest competitor right now. Bugatti and Pagani would be Richard Miles or FP Journe to me. But its all semantics and good fun.

Quick Reply: GT3, R8, or 570S