Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting a Touring to a ‘temporary’ winged track rat!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by CarPor

Just an idle thought, but is anyone considering retro-fitting the factory wing module to a GT3Touring for temporary use on track? We have a thread on the why’s & wherefore’s of converting a 991.1 GT3 to a Touring configuration, so is it a feasible proposition to do the reverse on a Touring?

First thoughts are it would involve a lot less work/hassle/money than a Wing-to-Touring spec change - but then, what do I know??
you'd need the entire decklid and wing assy ... *and* I'm pretty certain that if you disconnect the "touring" wing, the car will throw some error codes when it tries and fails to raise and lower the thing when it is not connected to anything... my recommendation is pick which variant you want and stick with it...its not worth the money or trouble to exchange
Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 PM
galt
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If someone wanted a PDK touring, I wonder if it is possible to remove the wings from the regular GT3 and install the touring pack deck lid and still have the ability for the touring wing to raise automatically? While I can't understand adding a wing to a touring--I can understand the need for this as PDK is not available with touring pck.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Someone with the Porsche computer needs to see if you can turn off the spoiler. You could on 991.1 Carreras. Be forewarned, the cost of a GT3 wing is staggering. I am sure aftermarket wings will be available at some point. It is pretty common (and easy) on earlier cars to add a wing. I doubt the spoiler failure does anything other than turn on a warning, but that would need to be confirmed too.

Did I mention I am a Luddite and only now coming to grips with 1990s automotive technology.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

Just buy both PTS with lwbs, PCCBs and fal...
Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't get all the ridicule either.

Are we then also to ridicule Jack Olsen for his removable wing?

I want the wing (but would love for it to have proper motorsport uprights rather than plastic).

There a few of the Touring options I would like to get on a non-GT3T. I don't see why not let people mix and match as they wish (if willing to pay for it).
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,231 Likes on 608 Posts

Apparently there is some guy that married his wife and her sister too.

A guy I know wants to swap transmissions-

16 RS PDK to 911 R. He owns and R and lives for PDK. So he will trade the R trans to RS owner that wants a manual RS. Trans for trans.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I like the OP's idea, and I was thinking of taking it one step further.. going Touring, but then occasionally switching in a PDK module for track work so my lap times could be just as fast as my buddy who went pdk, then go back to manual transmission for road use? Pretty wicked smart idea right?

So, Do you guys think this would be that hard?.. it's probably just a simple ECU re flash, and a few screws to remove the paddles behind the column for true manual use, and maybe a few more screws loose for the transmission, and maybe a few more screws loose for the spoiler. Is that too many screws loose?
love ur sense of humour, instead of taking it seriously....but what a novel idea....🤣, perhaps i have a few loose screws too
Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Apparently there is some guy that married his wife and her sister too.

A guy I know wants to swap transmissions-

16 RS PDK to 911 R. He owns and R and lives for PDK. So he will trade the R trans to RS owner that wants a manual RS. Trans for trans.
Makes the world more interesting. I personally wouldn't go through the trouble of swapping anything but def love to see others do it.

Quick Reply: Converting a Touring to a ‘temporary’ winged track rat!