Sponsored by:

Exclusive Option Bolster Protector Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Exclusive Option Bolster Protector Install

I wrote this up and put it in my RS Journal. I wanted some more information on these when I was looking for them, so I thought it might be useful to make a separate thread. Just to note, I don't have an affiliation with these guys.

I'm not a huge fan of covering stuff up to save it for later, but I've seen what happens to the bolsters in the 918 style bucket seats. They get destroyed rather quickly. From what I can tell, there are two options on the market. I chose Exclusive Option for a few reasons. They have a great tutorial video, their website is good, and pricing seems to be about the same. I needed yellow stitching and that didn't cost me anything extra.

Cost: $589
http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/918-...18-918LWBP.htm

My Video if you prefer that format.

Quality:
I think this is about a close to OE looking as you could possibly get with something aftermarket. The leather seems to be an exact match to the Porsche leather. I would say the stitching and seams are better than factory. There was not one frayed piece of thread to be found on these things. You are certainly getting a quality good for your $589. A couple of things to note: I would like to have a little longer velcro strip on the straps that wrap under the seat rail. I found that I couldn't tighten all the way, but it wasn't a huge issue. The only thing that is a bit odd is where the gap between the front and back part of the seat bolster makes the transition. You can see in the photos that a little crease forms. I worked on that quite a bit. My guess is that it will flatten and stretch over time. I could also consider steaming and stretching a bit more to aid in cleaning that up. Overall, I'm pleased with them. We'll see how they do over time with me getting in and out of the car, and I'll be sure to keep this journal updated with my findings.

I always find myself wondering why a company would spend so much time and energy creating a product and then not support it with video, photos, and content that shares what it is and how it works. These guys have done a pretty decent job with initial content support. Well written and easy to follow instructions with a video install guide on CD/DVD are in the box. I don't have a disc drive any longer, so I just used their video on Youtube.

Without Bolster Protectors

Install:

This turned into my normal "5 minute per side" install project that took me 3 hours and 15 minutes. After my fingers hurting, rubbed raw top of my hands from a dozen velcro readjustments, and about 16 deep sighed looks to the heavens, I got the job done. If I had to do it over again, it would actually take about 20 minutes, but I like to bond with my car...so I made it take 3 hours. (Ha...)

The first issue was pulling back the seat height switch. You need to pry it back about 1/4" to fit the hole of the bolster. The passenger side came out too easily and wouldn't snap back into place with the extra bulk of the bolster protector, and the driver's side wouldn't come out. I eventually used a credit card to pry it back and get it to release. That was a solid hour of the project. Neither snaps all the way back in place, but they are acceptably snug.

This is the velcro that tears up your hands as you are positioning and repositioning the protector. But I do have baby hands.

I had the directions nearby for moral support.

This is where it went all wrong. It was only after I gave up on the passenger's side (two and a half hours in) that I discovered why I couldn't get it to fit. There is rod in the stitched pocket that needs to be snugged up under the channel that runs under the factory bolster. That rod needs to be pushed all the way to toward the front of the protector. I didn't discover this until I quit and went over to the driver's side.

After I figured that out, it took 20 minutes to finish the job. I think they look really good. There is a crease that I'm having trouble getting out that contours to the gap, but I think that may stretch over time. I'll be sure to update as I have more time testing them in the real world.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM
eyesurg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Just emailed them asking if they could match my orange deviated stitching
Old 01-15-2018, 02:23 AM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any evidence that this will actually help? Mostly I just see the wrinkled and squished look on bolsters, not the leather physically wearing, what would this do to fix that?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:15 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MBDark
Is there any evidence that this will actually help? Mostly I just see the wrinkled and squished look on bolsters, not the leather physically wearing, what would this do to fix that?
absolutely these will help. google some images of Porsche bucket seat bolster wear and you will see some gnarly wear. the fatter your *** is, the worse the wear (ask me how I know)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

These look nice.
I prefer the Crazy Eddie version. I know how to get in and out of the car without touching the bolster. However, I have these as most passengers are not as smart and don't really care.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Patina of my seat. :-)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
These look nice.
I prefer the Crazy Eddie version. I know how to get in and out of the car without touching the bolster. However, I have these as most passengers are not as smart and don't really care.
why you prefer crazy Eddie's version? any differences between the two?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 AM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We would like to thank Matt at Obsessed Garage for his thorough review of our Light Weight Bucket Seat Bolster Protectors. When instructions are followed precisely the installation process typically takes about 10-15 minutes. We highly recommend viewing our tutorial install video which is included with each set sold or can be found online;there are pointers to help reduce creases and allow for perfect fitment.

Our proprietary LWB Seat Bolster Protectors offer a great way to reduce wear and tear on the outer bolster. We were the first to develop such an integrated solution to help preserve the vulnerable LWB seat bolsters. Many can attest to our OEM-like designs across our product line-up and have implemented the same philosophy for these. As a forum sponsor we are again offering a special to Rennlist members for a limited time at a discounted price of $549.00. As with all our other products; we provide a Limited Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects.

This is an essential product for new owners with incoming GT3’s 991.2 and 911T with Light Weight Buckets specified. We have sold nearly 1000 sets...many have installed them for over a year and haven't even removed them since, as they blend in so nicely with the original seat design. These fine leather protectors are just as perfect for your garage queen as they are on your track toy.

Please PM for availability.

The following colors are in stock:
-Black Leather w/Racing Yellow Stitching
-Black Leather w/Guards Red Stitching
-Black Leather w/Charcoal Stitching (GT3 Touring)
-Black Leather w/Lava Orange Stitching
-Black Leather w/Silver Stitching

Special Order:
- Tarpan Brown w/Silver Stitching (911R)
- Garnet Red w/ Matching Stitching (981 Spyder Classic Interior)
- Black Leather w/Acid Green Stitching (RS Option)

-For owners who have CXX optioned their seat with piping, we are able to accommodate matching Seat Bolster Protectors, please PM for more information. The 918 Spyder Spec Protectors with Piping can be ordered at special request.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
why you prefer crazy Eddie's version? any differences between the two?
I'd be interested as well as to the differences between these two models? Could anyone explain? There seem to be strong believers of both types?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 AM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I just installed the Crazy Eddie version; took about 10 minutes total. I chose that version because it maintains the original profile of the side of the seat (bolster) by consisting of two separate pieces vs the one long piece found with the EO product.
Stitching is great, quality is high, install is easy-- these seem to be common with both products so the design difference is about the only variance I see.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

And isn't the OEM piece toward the rear of the seat just a handle of sorts? That's where you're supposed to put your hand to get in/out of the seat, no? And it's replaceable. So why cover it up with a protector? That's why I'm leaning toward the Crazy Eddy version.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
I just installed the Crazy Eddie version; took about 10 minutes total. I chose that version because it maintains the original profile of the side of the seat (bolster) by consisting of two separate pieces vs the one long piece found with the EO product.
Stitching is great, quality is high, install is easy-- these seem to be common with both products so the design difference is about the only variance I see.
Just ordered a set from Eddie.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Put your hand on the door sill , stick you foot into the well, lift your a$$ into the seat, and bingo. You will feel physically fitter and save yourself a bunch. This works fairly easily with the sofas. If you have buckets it takes a much higher degree of grunt to succeed.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Put your hand on the door sill , stick you foot into the well, lift your a$$ into the seat, and bingo. You will feel physically fitter and save yourself a bunch. This works fairly easily with the sofas. If you have buckets it takes a much higher degree of grunt to succeed.
Ditto, it is a piece of cake.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
And isn't the OEM piece toward the rear of the seat just a handle of sorts? That's where you're supposed to put your hand to get in/out of the seat, no? And it's replaceable. So why cover it up with a protector? That's why I'm leaning toward the Crazy Eddy version.
^^^^
exactly

Quick Reply: Exclusive Option Bolster Protector Install