Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 991.2 gt3 manual vs 987.2 spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on 991.2 gt3 manual vs 987.2 spyder

Hello everybody . I have been very fortunate to be allocated a build for the 2018 gt3. I have speced it out to be a touring model with a manual gearbox. This car will be my occasional weekend car/back roads car. I presently have a 987.2 boxster spyder and I am debating whether or not to sell it to clear some funds for the gt3. Has any of the new 2018 gt3 owners previously owned or currently own a 987.2 spyder have any feedback on how they drive in terms of experience. I do understand on stats alone that the gt3 murders the Spyder but wanted to see how the experience and drive differ and what they liked about them. I am having a hard debate whether or not sell spyder as it does not make sense financially for me to hold two cars to do the same job. I have read Pete Stout’s thoughts on the 987.2 and I share a similar view. The steering of the 987.2 is almost telephathic and the level of confidence and feel it gives you the twisties is amazing. Should I be financially responsible or hold onto toys that I don’t necessary have that much time to drive? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

987 Spyder is a great fun roadster with perfect feedback and balance.

But lacks power and the electronic system (PSM) is always interfering, even system OFF, when pushed hard.

Not a real sportscar imho, 991 gt3 is a sportscar. But most fun only when pushed hard.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm kind of approaching it the other way. I plan to hold on to my 981 Spyder, even if my GT3 allocation comes through. I know I'll drive the spider, and continue to enjoy it. The question is, once the novelty of the GT3 wears off, will I ever drive it. It doesn't make sense to just drive it back and forth to work on the highway, and the top doesn't go down, and it's a huge investment that God forbid you got some kind of little Nick on it could lower than value by $10,000. It could just turn into a museum piece. Not so with the spider.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I sold my 987 spyder and my .1 GT3.
I still miss my spyder and plan to buy another 987 spyder someday. I don't miss the .1GT3 and yearn for the next one.

Spyder is the perfect road car. When it comes to track cars, I find myself always wanting to taste the next best thing.

The open top of the spyder and the unique look cannot be beaten by the gt3
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

That’s a bit of my concern. The spyder I feel it’s a excellent road car. I speced the gt3 as a road car as opposed to a track car. I was just hoping that the gt3 in manual could give the feel of the spyder but on steroids. I don’t necessary want a car that needs
me to drive at speeds that I could go to jail to engage me. I feel this about the RS so I am not as interested in one of those unless I was constantly on the track. I have a car already that is track focused. Looking for the best street experience. Thanks for your thought on the spyder.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I sold my 987 spyder and my .1 GT3.
I still miss my spyder and plan to buy another 987 spyder someday. I don't miss the .1GT3 and yearn for the next one.

Spyder is the perfect road car. When it comes to track cars, I find myself always wanting to taste the next best thing.

The open top of the spyder and the unique look cannot be beaten by the gt3
Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 PM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

That’s a dilemma for me. Since the spyder is signicantly cheaper I don’t mind giving it a throuough drive. Just the issue of time, space and better use of funds. It’s difficult for me logically to hold on both although the emotional side of me is saying to keep both.

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm kind of approaching it the other way. I plan to hold on to my 981 Spyder, even if my GT3 allocation comes through. I know I'll drive the spider, and continue to enjoy it. The question is, once the novelty of the GT3 wears off, will I ever drive it. It doesn't make sense to just drive it back and forth to work on the highway, and the top doesn't go down, and it's a huge investment that God forbid you got some kind of little Nick on it could lower than value by $10,000. It could just turn into a museum piece. Not so with the spider.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:35 PM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

How hard do you find you need to push the gt3 to extract the fun out of it?

Originally Posted by DK7
987 Spyder is a great fun roadster with perfect feedback and balance.

But lacks power and the electronic system (PSM) is always interfering, even system OFF, when pushed hard.

Not a real sportscar imho, 991 gt3 is a sportscar. But most fun only when pushed hard.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:44 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by porschejonno
That’s a bit of my concern. The spyder I feel it’s a excellent road car. I speced the gt3 as a road car as opposed to a track car. I was just hoping that the gt3 in manual could give the feel of the spyder but on steroids. I don’t necessary want a car that needs
me to drive at speeds that I could go to jail to engage me. I feel this about the RS so I am not as interested in one of those unless I was constantly on the track. I have a car already that is track focused. Looking for the best street experience. Thanks for your thought on the spyder.

I think what you really may be yearning for is the new Spyder! Especially if the rumors of the engine upgrade is true.

Many people including myself feel that the .1gt3 in pdk isn’t fun unless you are getting after it which you just can’t do on the streets if you live in a densely populated city without any backroads, mountains, or canyons. It is a hoot when you are pushing it but honestly, I’d rather daily drive my beater. I don’t see how the .2 which is even faster is going to be any different even if it is a manual.

Even after saying all that if I could get a .2 allocation, I would take it but I don’t have another dedicated track car like you do. I keep the gt3 as a non-DD second car, weekend/fun car, and for the track.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:44 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

No one can answer the question of how financially responsible you should be. Why don't you take delivery of the GT3 first and then see how much you like it and if you would miss your Boxster? Who knows, you might not even like the GT3 as much. Then you can sell it for minimal to no loss and just keep the Boxster.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar "issue": I will get a Touring in Feb. I already have 3 other Porsche's in my stable, a 987 Spyder, a 996 Mk 1 CS and a 993 targa. I don't want to keep them all, I would consider that a bit over the top. So one has to go, but which? I just know ohne thing, though, the Spyder will stay. It's such a special car, even if it only has the "small" 3.4 lt. engine. I would also not swap it for a 981 Spyder....
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I have not driven the 987 Spyder but I do own a 981 Spyder and I just recently sold my UV RS because of lack of usage. I use my Spyder more because the power is more usable, and good for fun back roads. I think the GT cars need more track usage to really have run, and I just dont have the time, and I rather for someone have the time to enjoy purple rain. GT3’s are not garage queens, and now I have two Spyders two weekend convertibles. Most ask why didn’t I sell the Spyder, and I simply said I love driving the manual and the feel.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I'd keep the 987 Spyder.
Once you have the GT3 for a while, you can figure out which is more fun.
For me, I know the GT4 was way more fun on the street than any GT3.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:37 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I'd keep the 987 Spyder.
Once you have the GT3 for a while, you can figure out which is more fun.
For me, I know the GT4 was way more fun on the street than any GT3.
987.2 spyder and even gt4/981 Spyder are perfect for the street. 991.2 Manual Gt3 belongs on a race track. I still have my 987.2 Spyder and wish I kept my GT4.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
987.2 spyder and even gt4/981 Spyder are perfect for the street. 991.2 Manual Gt3 belongs on a race track. I still have my 987.2 Spyder and wish I kept my GT4.
‘nice stable of cars you have there. How do you drive them(:
Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

I think I will listen to this and keep the spyder when I get the gt3. I think I will end up keeping both cars at the end haha. Something really special about the spyder.

Originally Posted by drdonger
No one can answer the question of how financially responsible you should be. Why don't you take delivery of the GT3 first and then see how much you like it and if you would miss your Boxster? Who knows, you might not even like the GT3 as much. Then you can sell it for minimal to no loss and just keep the Boxster.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 991.2 gt3 manual vs 987.2 spyder