Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
hf1 wrote:
So all those guys who review cars by driving them have no clue how special those cars are, because they didn't buy all of them?
I was joking.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
We can debate as nauseum about 997 4.0 and R engines. Last mezger aside when you drive them it's splitting hairs. 4.0 is terrific, but impossible to live with on the street. Harsh, noisy, big wing.

Exactly. That's part of what makes the 4.0 (and rest of 997 GT platform) SO magic. If you are looking for DD attributes, don't give the 997 gt's one look; 991 platform is better in every way if DD is part of the criteria. If you want an occasional drive with pure drama, 997-4.0 is in a rare air.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Mytoys
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have now driven both 911R and GT3 Touring. My impressions:
911R is noisier, raw, the steering is lighter and feels like it gives more feedback. The rattles from SMFW are great and in general there is more mechanical noises. The car feels more nimble on the road.
GT3T less mechanical noises, feels more insulated. Engine sounds different. Strong, but less furious than R. Again possible just an audio sensory impression. Car feels more planted, but less playful.
I cannot attest to the suspension settings since 911R has buckets and GT3T has 18 way seats.
Also don't want to get into the exhaust note as the R had full Akrapovic exhaust, which is by the way phenomenal.
Overall GT3T is a great daily drive, but there is no sense of special occasion in it compare to R.
thanks for the impressions. I bought a black R 2 months ago and have a GT3T coming as well. Been shopping for a R for sometime and prices are in the high 300 to low 400 range.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

911R The car feels more nimble on the road.
GT3T Car feels more planted, but less playful.
GT cars come with adjustable alignments. A small camber/toe adjustment can make a large difference in how planted or nimble/reactive the car feels on the road.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 AM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
GT cars come with adjustable alignments. A small camber/toe adjustment can make a large difference in how planted or nimble/reactive the car feels on the road.
I think it is more than just the alignment. The steering rack is differently calibrated too.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

I think it is more than just the alignment. The steering rack is differently calibrated too.
Very simple.

The 911R is tuned more for the street and the GT3 for the track.

I am not saying the GT3 is a track car but it is a street car more tuned for the track than the 911R. I would expect the Steering, RWS, suspension to be tuned slightly differently
Old 03-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"The powertrain and chassis are identical on all 911 GT3 vehicles with manual transmission, including the variant with Touring Package."

PAG
Old 03-02-2018, 05:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Very simple.
The 911R is tuned more for the street and the GT3 for the track.
I am not saying the GT3 is a track car but it is a street car more tuned for the track than the 911R. I would expect the Steering, RWS, suspension to be tuned slightly differently
How exactly are they different? Some here say the R feels more reactive/nimble than the GT3 which apparently feels more "planted". All track/race (alignment and suspension) settings make the cars more reactive and nimble (allowing for quicker turn-in) than their more "planted" street versions/settings. Which one is it?
Old 03-02-2018, 05:59 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

electric steering programming

VOILA!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
How exactly are they different? Some here say the R feels more reactive/nimble than the GT3 which apparently feels more "planted". All track/race (alignment and suspension) settings make the cars more reactive and nimble (allowing for quicker turn-in) than their more "planted" street versions/settings. Which one is it?
Geez, you're massive oversimplifying things a bit aren't ya, both in terms of performance and interpreting various comments? Doesn't grip matter? Stability? The way the car puts power down on exit? Or is it simply playful vs. planted? Simple question for you. Do you think the 911R would beat a 991 GT3 RS around the track? Because it appears the .2 GT3 lapped the ring about 8 seconds faster than the .1 RS. I'd be willing to bet money the .2 GT3 is faster around the racetrack than the 911R. Not that it really matters.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Geez, you're massive oversimplifying things a bit aren't ya, both in terms of performance and interpreting various comments? Doesn't grip matter? Stability? The way the car puts power down on exit? Or is it simply playful vs. planted?
I was only asking for some clarification about the conflicting claims, which btw I view mostly as marketing BS. Noticeably changing my GT3 from planted to nimble/reactive or vice versa takes a mere $200 alignment adjustment and doesn't make the car any more "special".

And the car with the faster lap-time is not necessarily the one better for the track. My Spec Boxster is a better car for the track than dozens of cars out there with much faster lap-times, including my GT3.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I was only asking for some clarification about the conflicting claims, which btw I view mostly as marketing BS. Noticeably changing my GT3 from planted to nimble/reactive or vice versa takes a mere $200 alignment adjustment and doesn't make the car any more "special".

And the car with the faster lap-time is not necessarily the one better for the track. My Spec Boxster is a better car for the track than dozens of cars out there with much faster lap-times, including my GT3.
you should figure out a way to drive the R and then you would know. All these opinions have elements of subjectivity but I do put more credibility on those that own and drive both. Reviewers try to excite so they can get the next car to review. And those who have not driven the cars at all are just exercising their ability to type uninformed speculation. Now you may have no interest in an R and if so....why do you post so much about it?

best
Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCoupe
you should figure out a way to drive the R and then you would know. All these opinions have elements of subjectivity but I do put more credibility on those that own and drive both. Reviewers try to excite so they can get the next car to review. And those who have not driven the cars at all are just exercising their ability to type uninformed speculation. Now you may have no interest in an R and if so....why do you post so much about it?

best
HF1 you're welcome to drive mine. I'm in NY. PM if you interested.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

HF1 you're welcome to drive mine. I'm in NY. PM if you interested.
Thx, I may take you up on the generous offer once spring arrives. We could go for a drive together and exchange cars. Doesn't look like it this weekend.
Though a thorough investigation would require quite a production: driving both the R and the Touring on the same day and same stretch of road, each with two different alignment settings. I'm not sure I'm invested enough in the issue to ever arrange that.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:00 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 440 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Right
and switch the air filters and the akra from the R to the T as well and repeat the "test"

then where s the rawness?

Only real thing is the R SMFW but annihilated by the T real 9k rpms

Quick Reply: Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently?