Sponsored by:

"Clubsport" build underway

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:51 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
And so it begins. The 6MT GT3 is fantastic, it really is, but it can certainly be better. I'm building my definition of a "Clubsport" package, as follows. I think it's a well-rounded build, that is still totally streetable. This covers my main areas of interest, except for the LSD, which I hope Guard will soon have some info for us upon getting their hands on an OEM unit. Maybe we get lucky and Porsche decided to actually use a decently functioning/robust LSD design? Doubtful. A few interesting things, IMO:

1. No need for 6pt harnesses, Schroth makes a Porsche-specific, carbon bucket 4pt belt. This way you don't have to have a stupid lap belt in the way for street driving, or for passenger, and you don't have to cut holes in your passenger bucket. It's road legal, and sled tested with for safety, with anti-sub tech proven. Not sure why more people don't use these for dual-purpose cars. I use these in my M3 with stock seats and they are fantastic.

2. For the same price that you spend on monoball-ing every joint in the car, you can get better performance from upgrading the shocks and springs to a more "clubsport" oriented package. I'm keeping all arms/joints stock, except rear shock mount. I talked myself into Ohlins TTX over the Bilstein Clubsports. Really looking forward to checking them out, especially on track. Ohlins data and support are outstanding, and I like that they have recommended setup for the shocks for both Road and Track right out of the box.

3. Contrary to what many may think, the rear shock mount on a 991 GT3 is not a monoball, it's just a standard 991 mount. Even the GT4 gets monoball mounts at all 4 corners. Bilstein Clubsport package comes with monoball rear upper mounts, so I sourced a set from Elephant racing to go with my Ohlins, since Ohlins use stock top mounts.

I'll follow up with some initial feedback on the suspension, etc. once installed, as we get prepared for the first track event of the season. Some parts are already rolling in....

-Ohlins TTX suspension
-Ohlins PASM delete/bypass kit
-Tarrett "Race" Monoball front camber plate

-Elephant Racing monoball upper rear shock mounts
-TPC valved side muffler delete
-GMG LMS rollbar
-Schroth 4pt Belt - for Porsche carbon seats
-Winning Formula Seat brackets - to address seat angle
-AP Racing/Essex Rotors (F & R)
-Stainless steel brake lines (6)
-Tarrett Caliper stud kit
-Trofeo R (265/325) – BBS Monoblocks
-Brake pads (DS1.11, PFC11, or RT RE10)
-Brake fluid flush (Endless or Ferodo)
-Alignment (CW and ride height set - TBD)

very nice parts that must make your car alot better.
All parts combined, how much est. would they cost?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s

very nice parts that must make your car alot better.
All parts combined, how much est. would they cost?
Call it $25K. The wheels are the biggest waste, you could reduce it by 8K just on those alone. They look just like my Apex EC7 wheels for my E92, which are $1100/set. Makes me sick thinking about it, thanks for that! LOL.

The car doesn't "need" any of them though, it's just about perfect right out of the box. I just can't leave any car alone. It's a disease.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Subscribed...
Old 01-17-2018, 05:53 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Mvez, many of have thought about doing this, but you are doing it. Awesome! Can you elaborate more about your feeling with a rollbar only, as opposed to a full cage. I understand that it is not a decision if you are building a super-cool dual purpose car to run on both street & track. But, my question is with your race experience, will you feel safe enough on the track with just a rollbar?
The following users liked this post:
Apex Ace (10-30-2019)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I have absolutely zero track experience or expertise with these types of builds but I am also eager to follow this build for some reason, the wheels picked also look awesome. Excited to see those on.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:36 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed. Mvez is a neighbor, a fellow club member, and an excellent driver. I will take some photos on track post build as I am being lapped. I will have many opportunities.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

you wouldn't happen to have the part #'s for the schroth 4pts by any chance?

never mind found this: https://www.schrothracing.com/produc...sche-harnesses

p.s damn I love those BBS monos!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I am anxious to see the final result. You have already completed many of the thought processes I am currently going through.
Regarding brakes, I have AC Super cup discs (floating rotors with hats) on my 6 GT3. I am still amazed at their longevity and fade resistance.
I have gone through the different scenarios regarding ceramic brakes (and track use) versus steel brakes and replacing them with an AC version once the steel rotors warp.
I will be very interested to see how the AC brakes work for you, along with the change in the suspension.

Pranqster
Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Couple quick updates:

1. Ohlins has released their "updated" TTX spring rate recommendations for the GT3/RS, based on ongoing road and track testing evaluations from the mothership in Sweden. I've been told they have been updated 3 times, and have finally evolved to these, released in Jan. 2018.

571# (100 N/mm) and 1142# (200 N/mm) for GT3
685# (120 N/mm) and 1142# (200 N/mm) for RS

These seem to also be in line with the general spring rate/split that Bilstein also includes for their Clubsport kit. I'm sure some of it is to preserve a bit of civility for road use, at the front of the car. I'm also told the TTX provide a remarkably civil ride based on their design and use of low internal pressure, so look forward to testing them out.

2. Dundon motorsports has confirmed their rear gurney/wicker fits the .2, as it's the same wing element. Ordered one to increase downforce without adding more wing angle/attack. Helps to allow setup to be more free/neutral in the slow/mid speed corners, and stable in high speed stuff.

Just waiting on the Tarett camber plates and the TPC valved by-pass, and we can get this build party started....
Attached Images
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 86 Posts

fantastic choice of parts, sub'd to see the result.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:51 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Couple quick updates:

1. Ohlins has released their "updated" TTX spring rate recommendations for the GT3/RS, based on ongoing road and track testing evaluations from the mothership in Sweden. I've been told they have been updated 3 times, and have finally evolved to these, released in Jan. 2018.

571# (100 N/mm) and 1142# (200 N/mm) for GT3
685# (120 N/mm) and 1142# (200 N/mm) for RS

These seem to also be in line with the general spring rate/split that Bilstein also includes for their Clubsport kit. I'm sure some of it is to preserve a bit of civility for road use, at the front of the car. I'm also told the TTX provide a remarkably civil ride based on their design and use of low internal pressure, so look forward to testing them out.

2. Dundon motorsports has confirmed their rear gurney/wicker fits the .2, as it's the same wing element. Ordered one to increase downforce without adding more wing angle/attack. Helps to allow setup to be more free/neutral in the slow/mid speed corners, and stable in high speed stuff.

Just waiting on the Tarett camber plates and the TPC valved by-pass, and we can get this build party started....
How do the new struts impact the front axle lift (for such equipped cars)?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Progress this week. Finish brake line install, and suspension setup tomorrow and Friday. Better pics and info to come. Will have it on the ground with some initial driving impressions this weekend.

Oh, and the Dundon rear wing wicker/gurney fits nicely, as its the same for .1 and .2.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Progress this week. Finish brake line install, and suspension setup tomorrow and Friday. Better pics and info to come. Will have it on the ground with some initial driving impressions this weekend.

Oh, and the Dundon rear wing wicker/gurney fits nicely, as its the same for .1 and .2.
Are the aftermarket coilovers compatible with Front Axle Lift equipped cars, or the FAL integrated into the strut?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Are the aftermarket coilovers compatible with Front Axle Lift equipped cars, or the FAL integrated into the strut?
FAL is now an electro-pneumatic system that seems be on the spring, but I'm not totally sure. You'll have to find out more about FAL, I don't ever tick that box.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

The ride quality these TTX dampers give on the street is nothing short of amazing. It boggles the mind how you can run this stiff of a spring package and literally it feels stock. The biggest detectable difference is the use of the monoball rear top mount, which gives you a lot more feel at the rear of the car, which is a good thing. I can't wait to get these on the track. If you ran these with OE top mounts you would probably not even be able to tell the difference, maybe just a hair more firm up front. PASM delete kit works like a charm too. No rattles, noises, or squeaks from the setup.

GMG LMS bar in too, going for that "factory" clubsport look. The schroth 4pt belts fit perfect, very happy with them as well. Can easily put them out of the way when not using. Letting things settle in and will finalize the alignment at the beginning of the week, but going to start with OE spec caster and rear toe to see how it behaves then adjust from there. Tarett sent us the wrong race camber plate with old caster spec, new one should be here on Monday. I'll post what camber/caster can be achieved with these top mounts on the car. Just messing around this old style plate let us get -3.6 with zero additional shims, but caster was at 7.8, so we need the new one with more caster. Seeing how little rear camber I can get away with, along with a modest initial rake setting. I still can't find any "official" ride height numbers for this car though....so no point of reference other than how the car was delivered.

-3.2 front, 0 toe, ~9.5 - 10 deg caster (TBD)
-2.7 rear, .17 deg toe (.34 deg total)
Bars both in middle

Quick Reply: "Clubsport" build underway