Sponsored by:

The edge of adhesion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
It's an awesome car, for sure. Just not sure anyone could say it's edgy.
My wife loves mine too - in fact, her exact words when I had her drive it were "How is it possible that this drives nicer than our 7 series?" Even though it's not a luxury car, I understand what she's getting at. It's smooth as silk in everything it does. And even though the exhaust sounds really good for a stock system, it's tepid compared to the Fabspeed setup on my 993.
As for the comments about the Corvette, I've toyed with the idea. But they have quality issues and even the Z06 I drove didn't seem to have as much grunt as my Shelby. It gets power to the ground a bit better, at least compared to stock, but it's not as angry. As for the AMG-GT, no MT. No MT = no go. Anyone have experience with Superformance Cobras or Ariel Atom?
superformance. What do you want to know ?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No. I think the AMG GT S (or AMG GT R), or maybe even the C7 Corvette Clubsport would suit you better.
+1 for the AMG GT. That car has a muscle car attitude and German refinement. But I would test drive these cars, GT3 included, before making any decision.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 68 Posts

I just went GMG bypass last Friday and went for a spirited meandering drive over the weekend and I can't stop smiling ;-) the raw sound of the bypass and the ability to manage the revs (with a "manual" pdk) is a blast. I actually enjoy using the gear shift ***** rather than the paddles in the steering wheel. I know true manuals would be more involving... but PDK manual is also fun in the streets!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Gives me a little smirk when people say things like "car is too easy to drive" or it "feels like it's on rails". Go to the track. . .
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Never driven the Shelby, but I am sure it was an awesome ride.

I just got back from one of our autocrosses and one of the instructors gave me a spin in his new 991 GT3 RS. That was an amazing car, something I would consider to upgrade to (if I were only more well-heeled)!!!

I reciprocated in my old stock 2004 GT3, taking him around the skidpad, too, which he was amazed at how well it did and on cheap Sumi tires.

That being said, you can't go wrong with any GT3, particularly, the RS models. They are raw, but still fine for daily driving (have put almost 130K miles on mine—obviously, I'm not bored!!!). To me they are a real sports car. They also hold their value.

Try one if you can.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 540 Posts

GT3 and spyder are different cars
spyder is a great car to drive on back roads but is not the fastest car out there. Part of its appeal to me is the car feel relaxing but very enjoyable .. you don't feel tired or need a break after driving 100 miles. Exhaust sound is very good
GT3/GT3RS give you more excitement in a different way, aggressive , louder, more engaging and faster, but after a while you feel I need a break . exhaust sound is more mechanical but might get to you after a while ... Also you feel that the car begs you to be driven aggressively and not happy to be driven easy. , so you feel you need to keep pushing the car
Old 01-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Gives me a little smirk when people say things like "car is too easy to drive" or it "feels like it's on rails". Go to the track. . .
IMO this is the best advice. Take that 918 to the track. I guarantee you won't be bored.

I have both the mid engine and the rear engine Porsche, so I understand what you mean by "boring". The mid engine Porsche is so intuitive it is so easy to drive fast, that it can indeed get "boring". The GT3 will be much faster, but you have to learn how to drive it fast. So it is more of a challenge. Especially on track. You want to compare the GT3 to the GT500 that you have modified to your liking. This car and the GT3 are so different it's apples to oranges. I notice you have a 993. IMO that would be a better basis for comparison. Imagine the 993 with a lot more power, a lot more downforce, and a lot more suspension. Also easier to drive fast, but not as easy as the 918. That should give you a better idea of what the GT3 is like.

OTOH, if you are looking for a similar "feel" as your GT500, then I agree with the others: get a Corvette. Or that track ready Camaro ZL1 with the 1LE. Those suckers are fast with some additional mods.

Quick Reply: The edge of adhesion...