Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 on the street

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest gripe I would have (and had with my 3.8 Boxster Spyder) is that the motor needs to be revved to be appreciated and it’s impossible to get close to redline, particularly with 6-speed, on the street without doing something seriously illegal.

That limits the enjoyment a little and makes a Turbo a better street car.

But on the track? Come on. You’d have to be soulless to not enjoy it. It sounds like a GT3 really isn’t for you if you’re scared to use it on the track and on the street lol

Try a Carrera T? :-)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You're asking a question many are asking. What's the point of the massive power if it can't be used in DD.

All I can say is after owing many Ferrari's and Porsche's I have concluded Porsche 911 models are boring to drive unless your at or near the limit. Ferrari's and Porsche GT cars are immensely rewarding and fun to drive even though your at the speed limits or slightly above. The feel of the car, the sound and instant power gives you a go kart experience in a 3200 lb car. With the Ferrari's and GT cars you become a very situational driver. You pick your spots and roads to maximize your enjoyment often well within the speed limit. I never got that feeling from a regular Porsche. To me it was meh.
agree with above.

all modern Porsches other than GT cars (and boxster Spyder) are meh, not that fun to drive, and not worth the money they cost.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:03 AM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drifting
agree with above.

all modern Porsches other than GT cars (and boxster Spyder) are meh, not that fun to drive, and not worth the money they cost.
I would have agreed with you before my Pan. Turbo. Obviously nothing like the GT cars, but I think Porsche has a knack for building some of the best daily drivers on the market. I've yet to find a fault with it, let alone it boring.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:46 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Your question really should be posed to any modern GT/sports car built today. All these cars involve breaking the law to truly exploit their potential. Clearly this car was meant to be driven to a track, enjoyed at a track, and driven home. There are many numerous cars on the market today with the same attributes. You would be hard pressed to fully engage the potential of this car and many like it in a legal setting on a public road.

With that to say... What I love the most about the GT3? It is marriage between the modern technology that Porsche has developed and the analogue connection of the cars in Porsche's history that built the brand. I love that GT3 is raw, loud, rattles, rough. It is a close cousin to a 930 in that sense.

Anyhow.... They are fantastic cars but one must realize they are not about creature comforts. A 991.2 turbo is much better suited to that duty.

- Chris.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

I was chatting with a guy this morning who was looking to buy a Porsche, and he asked me which new 911 would I buy as a fun road car. My answer was none of them, I'd get a 997.1 or 997.2, probably C2S, most likely a cabriolet. Lots of fun at sane road speeds, plenty fast, feels more 911 than a 991, costs a lot less than a new 991, and not much depreciation.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts
Default If you’re not going to drive the GT three on the street why not just get a cup

If you’re not going to drive the GT 3 on the street at all why not just get a cup car ? Seems to me that if you’re going to use the GT 3 exclusively for the track that a cup car would be more appropriate ?
I have a dedicated track car and will use the GT 3 somewhat at the track, after I have learned and know the track well in my dedicated car.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve put 647 miles on my 2018 GT3 since I picked it up Wednesday afternoon. It’s a stupendous car even at legal speeds. It just wires itself into your synapses. Every input yields a response. Then, the fact it is quite comfortable is even more amazing. Then the intake honk under load and the exhaust wail. Even if you only get a few gears to play before the speed limit is broken, it’s worth it. Then you do it over and over and over again. It’s incredible.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

You make of it what you can

my commute to the gym each morning is only 5 miles but it includes some twisties and a spot where I can safely floor it and get nicely sideways
Old 11-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
The biggest gripe I would have (and had with my 3.8 Boxster Spyder) is that the motor needs to be revved to be appreciated and it’s impossible to get close to redline, particularly with 6-speed, on the street without doing something seriously illegal.

That limits the enjoyment a little and makes a Turbo a better street car.
I've never felt the need to wring my cars out all the way to redline to enjoy them immensely on the street. My Carrera S and Spyder both start to make beautiful noises at just over 3000 rpm and sound glorious tearing through the middle of the rev range. And if I pick my spots (location and time), I can still safely push the car well above legal limits without risking jail time and impoundment.

Quick Reply: GT3 on the street