Sponsored by:

GT3 on the street

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts
Default GT3 on the street

so I've seen all the reports from new owners and they all sound like its an amazing car. It appeals to me for several reasons, but when I really think about it, how can anyone exploit the performance of this vehicle on the street? For you owners, how are you driving the car on the street to have any fun? 500hp means you can basically go through a gear and a half before you are well above almost any speed limit in the country. Huge sticky tires and well developed suspension mean even tight or tricky turns at twice the posted speed limits will be a yawn fest since you are so far from the capabilities of the vehicle. Even on the track, for drivers that are not super human, can you really half any fun without worrying that one screw up results in a massive off? One 991.1 GT3 owner drove my buddie's mildly track prepped 993 and said he had more fun.

So, is this the old "more fun to drive a slow car fast", or are people still finding ways to have fun with these cars on the street.

I guess the question is, how are you extracting fun out of this car (or any similar car, mb GT, huracan, 488 etc) on the street?

Is it cars and coffee? Just the feel and sound even though not driving that hard? A quick pull or pushing it a bit on an on ramp? Mountain roads at 5/10s?

I used to be a massive power guy, but even find that I can barely exercise my bolt on 997TT and thats both slower and massively less capable than a modern GT3.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Old car fast on street is way more fun especially in the canyons here.
On track old cars are fun. New cars even more so. That speed and grip is addicting and you just cannot exercise it sanely in the street.
so ideally one must have one of each generation.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Old car fast on street is way more fun especially in the canyons here.
On track old cars are fun. New cars even more so. That speed and grip is addicting and you just cannot exercise it sanely in the street.
so ideally one must have one of each generation.
^^^
Old 11-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one only drive on the street and love the newer technology. As for speed you can drive any car quickly in some spots where you are not a menus to others. No need to be going 100 to enjoy yourself. If you were stuck in the city on mostly highways then that is a different story. For myself I like just being able to drive the GT3 to the gym and back the same speed as my pickup because the feel and experience is so much different.

I do love the older cars to look at and appreciate but not to drive.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so I've seen all the reports from new owners and they all sound like its an amazing car. It appeals to me for several reasons, but when I really think about it, how can anyone exploit the performance of this vehicle on the street? For you owners, how are you driving the car on the street to have any fun? 500hp means you can basically go through a gear and a half before you are well above almost any speed limit in the country. Huge sticky tires and well developed suspension mean even tight or tricky turns at twice the posted speed limits will be a yawn fest since you are so far from the capabilities of the vehicle. Even on the track, for drivers that are not super human, can you really half any fun without worrying that one screw up results in a massive off? One 991.1 GT3 owner drove my buddie's mildly track prepped 993 and said he had more fun.

So, is this the old "more fun to drive a slow car fast", or are people still finding ways to have fun with these cars on the street.

I guess the question is, how are you extracting fun out of this car (or any similar car, mb GT, huracan, 488 etc) on the street?

Is it cars and coffee? Just the feel and sound even though not driving that hard? A quick pull or pushing it a bit on an on ramp? Mountain roads at 5/10s?

I used to be a massive power guy, but even find that I can barely exercise my bolt on 997TT and thats both slower and massively less capable than a modern GT3.
You're asking a question many are asking. What's the point of the massive power if it can't be used in DD.

All I can say is after owing many Ferrari's and Porsche's I have concluded Porsche 911 models are boring to drive unless your at or near the limit. Ferrari's and Porsche GT cars are immensely rewarding and fun to drive even though your at the speed limits or slightly above. The feel of the car, the sound and instant power gives you a go kart experience in a 3200 lb car. With the Ferrari's and GT cars you become a very situational driver. You pick your spots and roads to maximize your enjoyment often well within the speed limit. I never got that feeling from a regular Porsche. To me it was meh.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Meh, I had no trouble enjoying all 600+ hp of my brothers blown Camaro on the street or all of the 400-450 hp in cars Ive already owned. Fairly sure I can do the same with the GT3. And youre assuming that using the last 150hp is what matters most, which I would disagree with.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

one doesnt have to use all the potential to enjoy it.
in fact most of us use < 50% of GT3 potental on track, yes, even club racers.
get a ride with real pro's, u will be amzzed and realized that you are not driving at all, you are merely holding on the steering wheel .... (i do)
it's feel, the spiriit, the sound ....
the gestalt that makes the full experience.

plenty of fun at low speed on pavement.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
get a ride with real pro's, u will be amzzed and realized that you are not driving at all, you are merely holding on the steering wheel .... (i do)

Mooty, I couldn't agree more. I rode with Hurley Haywood around Road Atlanta as he raced Dave Murrey both in Porsche's. After the ride, I recognized what a mediocre driver I am and have always been. What they do with a car is far beyond what most of us can do or consider doing.

For context, I owned a 2107 Targa, 2014 TT Cab and a couple of 911's one manual. After driving the GT3, I knew immediately this is the car for me whether it be for DD or track. Totally different feel which lends itself to more passion and excitement getting into the car to drive it.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:11 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

My new .2GT3 is the first Gt car I’ve owned. I came from several “normal” Porsche vehicles in the past. I’m still in the break in period and so I’m keeping the car below 5k rpms. Already this car has given me more smiles and thrills at 1/10th its capability. Acceleration and g forces are only one aspect of the car. There is the sound, feel, look, seats, shifting, and on and on that make this car a special experience. I never drive my cars at dangerous speeds on the road. I save that for the track. But there is a huge sense of enjoyment driving this at a fraction of its capability on normal roads. My only exception would be heavy traffic, but all cars suck in that situation.

I do acknowledge that it’s a preference like anything that’s subjective. Some people will hate the experience and would rather have a standard 911 or a Turbo. But if you ever dreamt of driving around a borderline street legal race car then this is about as close as you can get. Go test drive a GT3 if you haven’t already.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

The OP asked a specific question, "...how do you exploit the PERFORMANCE of the GT3 on the street?" Short answer = you CANNOT! What most of us do (and I don't DD my GT3), I suspect, is find other aspects of the car to relish/enjoy at street legal speeds around town or on back roads/highways etc. Be it the exhaust note, sharp steering, light front end, even the look and feel of the car. There's plenty to enjoy about the GT3 on the street but the PERFORMANCE of the car is NOT one of them! You've got to get on a track or truly desolate back road to truly unleash this power plant...
Old 11-24-2017, 06:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

This is too juvenile of a question coming from you.

What is the joke, sarcasm, catch, or punch line here?

What next, what is the break in procedure?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We are fortunate to have our fun cars in an area that has some amazing driving roads within 15 minutes that are relatively deserted. I had the Porsches in the city for a couple of years and they brought very little enjoyment for me. On these roads the fun comes whether pushing the GT car at 3/10ths or 993 at 5/10ths. Radar detector is a must.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You're asking a question many are asking. What's the point of the massive power if it can't be used in DD.

All I can say is after owing many Ferrari's and Porsche's I have concluded Porsche 911 models are boring to drive unless your at or near the limit. Ferrari's and Porsche GT cars are immensely rewarding and fun to drive even though your at the speed limits or slightly above. The feel of the car, the sound and instant power gives you a go kart experience in a 3200 lb car. With the Ferrari's and GT cars you become a very situational driver. You pick your spots and roads to maximize your enjoyment often well within the speed limit. I never got that feeling from a regular Porsche. To me it was meh.
Well said- Ditto
Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

Have to mark this post. Mooty writing intelligible English on first try.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

^ that's my daughtr posing as me. this is the reeL me

Quick Reply: GT3 on the street