Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
They are following the Ferrari business model a little bit too much

Really no excuse for half *** quality out of Germany.

+1. Ferrari quality is horrible. Bad finishing on paint from factory and the panel gap differences are laughable.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:43 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Heads up:
The paint's looking pretty rough all of the .2 GT3's that have come to us. Do not be surprised if your .2 has sanding marks, deep scratches(it can even be through the clear), holograms and other trash in the paint.

Just because "it's new" doesn't mean anything to the guy you take it to for a coating or detail.

I have some video that shows of the severity of this very soon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
that's why I'm dumbing my car in your garage and you can take care of it for me
Old 11-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Heads up:
The paint's looking pretty rough all of the .2 GT3's that have come to us. Do not be surprised if your .2 has sanding marks, deep scratches(it can even be through the clear), holograms and other trash in the paint.

Just because "it's new" doesn't mean anything to the guy you take it to for a coating or detail.

I have some video that shows of the severity of this very soon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

youtube page???
Old 11-11-2017, 08:39 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any better quality leaving the factory with PTS?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:52 PM
lonzo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my jet black metallic GT3 on Thursday, 2 Nov. Due to weather, it sat in the garage until Friday, 10 Nov when I took it to my very good detailer. Upon picking it up, he showed me a region at the base of the left wing support where someone tried to use some polishing compound to remove multiple scratches. Whoever did it did not realize they could not get their buffer under the wing to buff it out. The only organization in contact with the car before my detailer was the manufacturer and their delivery dealer. Yes, there indeed IS a current problem with the finish on $160K+ new cars from Germany that the company should address. Suggest NOT being too starey eyed when you pick your new one up at the dealer and only get it in DAYLIGHT AFTER you give it a good look over. No, I'm not returning it either.

Last edited by lonzo; 11-11-2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Along with PTS finishes I wonder if the metallic colors have better finishes. For instance my SBM was near perfect and required little paint correction.

BUT I can say that Porsche finishes are far superior to many other manufacturers.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:27 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Heads up:

In your experience working with .2 Gt3 compared with other new current Porsche’s, is the Gt3’s paint worse or similar?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 115 Posts

How much would it cost to fully wrap the gt3 with a protective film like Suntek ultra including wrapping around all edges and corners?
Just curious ...
Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It must have something common with long transportation process of those cars to the US.
Mine delivered in EU was in pristine condition. My detailer did not have too much work with paint correction.
Same goes with all my friend's 911s as far as I know.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm ready... picking up my white 991.2 gt3 Monday. Car will not be detailed. Plastic will be removed for inspection only and I will use double bucket wash method before going to work on it.

My dad's Tanzanite blue metallic bmw m4 required around 14 hours of work to get it to where it needed to be...

Old 11-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Any coorelation to color? IE red ones worse, white ones better or just all standard not great paint?
No. The defect can be attributed to a number of things but some are known factors. For example, DA sanding marks are left behind after someone sands a paint run or denibs/sand trash in the paint. The factory needs cars out, not true perfection. So they(all of them....EVERY ONE) uses products rich in silicone fillers. It enhances the paint, masks the defects well enough and then after someone decontaminates the paint it washes out leaving behind what was masked.

Scratches, swirl marks and what not happen from someone rubbing the paint with either debris on the body or on the media used to rub the surface. This type of defect happens due to debris being driven into the paint. This can happen at the factory, port, dealership or some guy during transportation.

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
A friend of mine and I Both chose. graphite blue delivered late October no major paint issues to speak of
That's great if you have nothing you see and/or nothing is there worth being upset about. I suggest you not decontaminate the paint if you wish to remain in bliss.

Originally Posted by 1-Bad-911
I hope that customers taking delivery of GT3's in this condition are reporting this issue back to Porsche. Cars in this price range should never be delivered in this type condition. If a customer has to take his GT3 to a detailer because its in this type of condition then Porsche should have to pay the bill.....IMO
Every single manufacturer has similar issues. Most people never notice it and fixing an "issue" on every car that only a very small % of owners has will never happen. It's a numbers thing.

Originally Posted by JFA65
Not giving it back after waiting 14 months for this one and 18 months for the .1. A hiccup but it can be repaired to Porsche standards. A first world problem and not worth a lot of anxiety.
Not a bad view to have.

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Thanks. Are you noticing any difference in paint hardness between this current crop and previous 991s that you've worked on? Also, any difference between colors?
Not yet. I find it unlikely there will be anything more than subjective feedback on the topic even after many cars are delivered and professionals touch them. What I do observe is that when a manufacturer is under the gun to get a new car out, these types of defects are more pronounced across the board. It's the same for anyone who has ever had to push someone or has been pushed to complete a task at their office/job quicker than is ideal. Stuff gets missed. There's no way around that.

Originally Posted by STG
They are following the Ferrari business model a little bit too much

Really no excuse for half *** quality out of Germany.
Ferrari is still way worse lol!

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
that's why I'm dumbing my car in your garage and you can take care of it for me
Bring it on.

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
youtube page???
My Youtube channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC1...yfS8Q618--VLqw

Originally Posted by DRPM
Any better quality leaving the factory with PTS?
Crapshoot

Originally Posted by lonzo
.... Suggest NOT being too starey eyed when you pick your new one up at the dealer and only get it in DAYLIGHT AFTER you give it a good look over. No, I'm not returning it either.
Good advice.

Originally Posted by n3rd
Along with PTS finishes I wonder if the metallic colors have better finishes. For instance my SBM was near perfect and required little paint correction.

BUT I can say that Porsche finishes are far superior to many other manufacturers.
Metallic colors at least appear better than non-metallic finishes. Metallic paint merely lends itself to not showing defects as easily. Under inspection, they have just as many, which is great news for someone that doesn't feel the need to "fix" something they can't practically see.

I agree that, in general, Porsche does fantastic work with their fit and finish across the board.

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
In your experience working with .2 Gt3 compared with other new current Porsche’s, is the Gt3’s paint worse or similar?
My sample size is too small to give any meaningful feedback on that topic.

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac
How much would it cost to fully wrap the gt3 with a protective film like Suntek ultra including wrapping around all edges and corners?
Just curious ...
$6500 is the starting point for us to do a full-body PPF wrap. Our mac-daddy advanced wrap would push close to $9k.

Originally Posted by qbix
It must have something common with long transportation process of those cars to the US.
Mine delivered in EU was in pristine condition. My detailer did not have too much work with paint correction.
Same goes with all my friend's 911s as far as I know.
There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in detailing and "paint correction" now. Some shops claim they correct paint while bragging on the finish they get by using products specifically intended to fill. It's a genuinely confusing mess for many.

But some cars actually do make it to their owners pretty much perfect. We've have many that only required very basic prep to coat or wrap with PPF. I only mean to let those that have been waiting on this highly anticipated car know that due to the reasons I mention in this post that the cars are likely to come with some measure of defects. The exact measure can't be known until it has been stripped of wax, silicone, oils, residues, glazes, etc. and only the actual clear coat shows.

Originally Posted by awew911
I'm ready... picking up my white 991.2 gt3 Monday. Car will not be detailed. Plastic will be removed for inspection only and I will use double bucket wash method before going to work on it.

My dad's Tanzanite blue metallic bmw m4 required around 14 hours of work to get it to where it needed to be...

The Tanzanite M4 Comp in this video came to use without as much as a wash from the owner and it was hammered. The bumper had even been spot blended before he took delivery! "New" means nothing.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Here's the video of some of the defects:

But it looked pretty alright when we had everything completed.

Name:  OwHHJK3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  737.0 KB
Old 11-12-2017, 12:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Here's the video of some of the defects:

But it looked pretty alright when we had everything completed.

Porsche uses the 3 foot rule and their quality control probably has less than 30 minutes to fix anything. What we are seeing on some cars is unacceptable.

I TOTALLY appreciate the attention to detail as I am the same way. Reality is, 98% of buyers would never pick up any of this or even know what a paint correction is.

Last edited by STG; 11-12-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dog bucks
Put numbers and details up OR go the F*ck Away.... Bitch>>>

What the ???? Troll!
Old 11-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dog bucks
Put numbers and details up OR go the F*ck Away.... Bitch>>>

Quick Reply: Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.