Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADM, waiting lists, BS, and GT cars - is it always like this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ADM, waiting lists, BS, and GT cars - is it always like this??

Title pretty much says it all. I’m new to Porsche (picked up a 991.2 gts this year) and now I’m dying to get a GT3. Reading about all the BS and hoops that everyone here has had to jump through has really turned me off to even try. So much so that I haven’t even tried to ask any dealers about their GT3 allocations or getting on a list. So I’m curious if this madness is typical with new GT releases? For you guys with more experience was it the same for the 991.1 GT3? Or the RS? Can I expect things to calm down in a few months? Or is this really my last chance and I should do whatever it takes to secure an allocation now? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I definitely think things will calm down after these first run of allocations are delivered. Porsche will make more GT3s, the car will be made into the 2019 MY, and the announcement of the new 991.2 RS will deviate the marketplace somewhat; particularly because 991.1 GT3 RS's are expected to take another correction within the next quarter.

Start a conversation with your dealer. Keep them engaged. You purchased one car already. Show your interest in the brand and that you intend on remaining a long time customer.

Stick with it...you'll get one.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Title pretty much says it all. I’m new to Porsche (picked up a 991.2 gts this year) and now I’m dying to get a GT3. Reading about all the BS and hoops that everyone here has had to jump through has really turned me off to even try. So much so that I haven’t even tried to ask any dealers about their GT3 allocations or getting on a list. So I’m curious if this madness is typical with new GT releases? For you guys with more experience was it the same for the 991.1 GT3? Or the RS? Can I expect things to calm down in a few months? Or is this really my last chance and I should do whatever it takes to secure an allocation now? Thanks for your thoughts!
Good luck, and welcome of Porsche. First, I think some of the noise is just frustration, and GT3 demand yes this is normal for the most part. Level I will summarize:

1) GT3/RS typically small production, and not produced yearly short run. Some potential buyers have placed deposits several years back to be on the list. The list many times have more people than cars available. (Hence you’re problem)

2) Typically GT cars are for the Porsche enthusiast that purchase several Porsche’s in a year, not specific to any number but it’s a reward to the best customers. (Sometimes there’s an opening at small dealers that don’t have a GT market)

3) 918 VIP owners a program was created during the launch of that car which was not selling. Porsche needed to move cars, and guaranteed 918 owners MSRP for all spectiality cars GT3/RS, and the elusive 911R. Now the crazyness 918 owners some of them take the speciality cars are MSRP, and have flipped them for 50k to 400k over MSRP the bibber number was for the 911R.

4) Flippers that aquire a bunch of allocations via mysterious ways sell their positions for 25k plus pending the model. People hate them ....but I say they make it work for them.

5) Guys like me I would say small number .....got my first Porsche in 2013 991S. Dealer is pretty nice guy we have mutual friends .....had an extra allocation and he asked me did I want to build a GT3? I got lucky because this dealer does not take deposits and rewards his top guys. I got the extra. Last year, I upgraded to a 2016 RS met a dealer via another friend. Now got an allocation for the .2 GT3 which I said thanks to the dealer, and I’m happy with my RS. I never expected, and if I get it great .......I think the problem lies when people think the dealer owes them a car. The .1 was the same hype, and the new girl is on the block and everyone wants the new chick. In summary I think you get the drift of this stuff, and it’s not as bad as it sounds. I think people drive the hype and the market and Porsche knows chum is in the water and they watch the show. They are amazing cars by the way. Buy a .1 with low miles if you can find one, and your turn will come when the hype is over by next summer.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Doing a search of threads dating back to 2014, Id say thats the way it is until the economy tanks.

Shell out an ADM, and get a GT3 within 6-8 months. Get a good relationship with the right dealer and you can get one at MSRP. It is what it is. Read through the 100+ other threads on the subject.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Perspective :

Porsche comes out with a GT3 every 3 years
Porsche comes out with a GT3RS for one year after that
Porsche makes a couple hundred speedsters every few years
Porsche makes a new generation GT2 every few years

Start planning for 2021 now
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes it is.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Yes it is.

The short concise answer
Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Perspective :

Porsche comes out with a GT3 every 3 years
Porsche comes out with a GT3RS for one year after that
Porsche makes a couple hundred speedsters every few years
Porsche makes a new generation GT2 every few years

Start planning for 2021 now
..... life on the sidelines?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:21 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Paint to sample GT cars, no BS there
Ha HA
Old 11-04-2017, 07:27 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Good luck, and welcome of Porsche. First, I think some of the noise is just frustration, and GT3 demand yes this is normal for the most part. Level I will summarize:

1) GT3/RS typically small production, and not produced yearly short run. Some potential buyers have placed deposits several years back to be on the list. The list many times have more people than cars available. (Hence you’re problem)

2) Typically GT cars are for the Porsche enthusiast that purchase several Porsche’s in a year, not specific to any number but it’s a reward to the best customers. (Sometimes there’s an opening at small dealers that don’t have a GT market)

3) 918 VIP owners a program was created during the launch of that car which was not selling. Porsche needed to move cars, and guaranteed 918 owners MSRP for all spectiality cars GT3/RS, and the elusive 911R. Now the crazyness 918 owners some of them take the speciality cars are MSRP, and have flipped them for 50k to 400k over MSRP the bibber number was for the 911R.

4) Flippers that aquire a bunch of allocations via mysterious ways sell their positions for 25k plus pending the model. People hate them ....but I say they make it work for them.

5) Guys like me I would say small number .....got my first Porsche in 2013 991S. Dealer is pretty nice guy we have mutual friends .....had an extra allocation and he asked me did I want to build a GT3? I got lucky because this dealer does not take deposits and rewards his top guys. I got the extra. Last year, I upgraded to a 2016 RS met a dealer via another friend. Now got an allocation for the .2 GT3 which I said thanks to the dealer, and I’m happy with my RS. I never expected, and if I get it great .......I think the problem lies when people think the dealer owes them a car. The .1 was the same hype, and the new girl is on the block and everyone wants the new chick. In summary I think you get the drift of this stuff, and it’s not as bad as it sounds. I think people drive the hype and the market and Porsche knows chum is in the water and they watch the show. They are amazing cars by the way. Buy a .1 with low miles if you can find one, and your turn will come when the hype is over by next summer.
Thanks for the helpful info. I was wondering if the current fuss was because this gt3 may be the last NA car from Porsche, but it sounds like this really is always the case with the GT cars.

Appreciate the encouragement everyone. I will keep onward and hopefully will find an allocation in the coming months.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

frustrating yes.
always like this, mostly
hey roll back to 1990, some miata sold at 10k over for a 20k car....
Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

sorta like Rolex Daytona's: The watch no one can get, but everyone has.

They stamp those watches out by machine in about 30 minutes...but make them in very limited numbers and manipulate the market. heck, it makes tons of money for rolex. It turned me off of the brand tho, and I imagine Porsche will have the same result.

Either way, I am on the waiting list for the GT3, and it makes it kind of an "adventure" or a "quest" to get one!
Old 11-04-2017, 11:55 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
sorta like Rolex Daytona's: The watch no one can get, but everyone has.

They stamp those watches out by machine in about 30 minutes...but make them in very limited numbers and manipulate the market. heck, it makes tons of money for rolex. It turned me off of the brand tho, and I imagine Porsche will have the same result.

Either way, I am on the waiting list for the GT3, and it makes it kind of an "adventure" or a "quest" to get one!
​​​​​​
+1 after all the ceramic Daytona bs I went a different way and super happy with what I picked up instead. Not looking back. I love my GT4 and when I am ready to replace it a new GT3/4 would be my first choice but if it is a huge pita I'm happy to try something new.

Quick Reply: ADM, waiting lists, BS, and GT cars - is it always like this??