Sponsored by:

Emotional experience - .1 RS to .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Emotional experience - .1 RS to .2 GT3

The thread was prompted by a post by jlee504 on another thread...

Originally Posted by jlee504
Any of the owners coming from an RS ? Most of the descriptions I’ve read so far are consistent with what I felt going from a 15 gt3 to a 16 gt3rs. I think the RS incorporated much of these improvements.
I get mine in a couple of weeks and am coming from an RS. Will respond about the performance related issues when I have some seat time but what I can state is slightly off topic as its about the waiting and emotional experience.

- Waiting for the RS was a scintillating, nail biting, and unique experience. It's just not been the same for the .2 GT3 this time around. Somewhat underwhelmed so far but I think the juices are starting to flow as the boat gets nearer to port.

- From a design perspective I don't feel that "special" difference and presence that the RS had for me. The .2 GT3 is just a bit understated and more like a regular 911... but isn't that what I wanted?...

... Yes and No! I think I got used to the "in-your-face" design of the RS. The very things I was concerned about when I first got it. Weird thing is that I think I now miss it!

So, to summarize. For now and until my .2 GT3 arrives, I think... "An RS, is an RS!" and I miss it!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:21 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Funny, I too am going from RS, but to a .2 Touring so a bit diff. Really looking forward to the understated looks and more classy appearance of a GT silver Touring with all black leather interior from the Lava Orange batwing! Should be interesting
Old 10-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Here we go!!!!!

I have had regrets on all my Porsches I have traded. It will still bother you for years to come. And to be honest; after taking delivery of a couple "GT" cars I really do not get that excited any more.

I am hoping the .2 will be exciting for this delivery. I got cheated out of the .1 GT3 experience because 8 months after the stop sale and car sitting at Port I was kind of bitter when i picked it up.

I get excited when the car is in my garage and I have a glass of wine in my hand and I have a chance to admire it in privacy. I do not like Dealerships so I just want to pay and get the heck out of there.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 796 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

I get excited when the car is in my garage and I have a glass of wine in my hand and I have a chance to admire it in privacy. )
Wow, I thought I was the only one who did this
Old 10-31-2017, 03:23 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 473 Posts

Haku, I think you will develop a different bond with your incoming 991.2 GT3. The RS was a thing to behold visually- l love simply going to the garage to admire it, its just so damn cool looking. But since I am a poor Porsche lover, I only drink beer while I stare at it.

I found that as I tracked my RS more frequently, it became no fun to drive around town anymore. For that reason, I ordered a manual GT3. I think you will bond with that car in a different way that may be more meaningful, as you will now be a more integral part of that driving experience. It wont be just visual...you are maturing, you now want something more meaningful with depth of personality. am I reading too much into this?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Before I sold my last house, after I'd wash the cars, I'd sit in my small garage in a lawn chair with a glass of wine or beer in my hand and just stare at my cars and be one with them. My wife thought I was nuts but, other than taking a drive alone in the mountains in them, nothing releases my stress than just sitting quietly in the garage.

OP, while I own neither, I have lusted over both, and I agree with you that, at least from a looks perspective, the RS gets my juices flowing more than the new GT3. Porsche just got it so amazingly right on the 991.1RS. The more video I watch, the more I'm starting to really dislike the front bumper on the new GT3. It just looks too big and gaping for me. I liked it at first, but it's reverse growing on me.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

All of your comments are appreciated.

Originally Posted by disden
Haku, I think you will develop a different bond with your incoming 991.2 GT3. The RS was a thing to behold visually- l love simply going to the garage to admire it, its just so damn cool looking. But since I am a poor Porsche lover, I only drink beer while I stare at it.

I found that as I tracked my RS more frequently, it became no fun to drive around town anymore. For that reason, I ordered a manual GT3. I think you will bond with that car in a different way that may be more meaningful, as you will now be a more integral part of that driving experience. It wont be just visual...you are maturing, you now want something more meaningful with depth of personality. am I reading too much into this?
D, you just reestablished core reasons for my switch to the .2 GT3. Your reasoning of the aesthetics of the RS are of course spot on as well.

I do hope the manual driving experience lives up to the expectations. Unfortunately, there have been few reliable reviews of that transmission.

Hmmm... me maturing and embracing something with more depth of personality... let me ask my wife to endorse that! For some strange reason I don't think she will!
Old 10-31-2017, 05:06 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I’m going from a voodoo blue RS to a Lichtgrün GT3. It’s ok. Not ecstatic. I went from a 997.2 RS to a 991.1 GT3 too. The GT3 is just a stepping stone to the RS for me. The RS is always better. I’ve never had an RS and wanted a GT3. I say enjoy your .2 GT3 which will be awesome and probably more reliable and a better performer than the .1RS. When the .2 RS comes out, order it and don’t look back!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:04 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I’m going from a voodoo blue RS to a Lichtgrün GT3. It’s ok. Not ecstatic. I went from a 997.2 RS to a 991.1 GT3 too. The GT3 is just a stepping stone to the RS for me. The RS is always better. I’ve never had an RS and wanted a GT3. I say enjoy your .2 GT3 which will be awesome and probably more reliable and a better performer than the .1RS. When the .2 RS comes out, order it and don’t look back!
Dont look back...

...until the 992 GT3 comes out, followed by the 992 RS, followed by the...and the...

My wife is going to hate me.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:54 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Dont look back...

...until the 992 GT3 comes out, followed by the 992 RS, followed by the...and the...

My wife is going to hate me.
LOL
Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
+1
Old 10-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Before I sold my last house, after I'd wash the cars, I'd sit in my small garage in a lawn chair with a glass of wine or beer in my hand and just stare at my cars and be one with them. My wife thought I was nuts but, other than taking a drive alone in the mountains in them, nothing releases my stress than just sitting quietly in the garage.

OP, while I own neither, I have lusted over both, and I agree with you that, at least from a looks perspective, the RS gets my juices flowing more than the new GT3. Porsche just got it so amazingly right on the 991.1RS. The more video I watch, the more I'm starting to really dislike the front bumper on the new GT3. It just looks too big and gaping for me. I liked it at first, but it's reverse growing on me.
I truly hope you get your .2 GT3. You have all the passion and deserve one.

Plus- we all would have peace here
Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 591 Posts

to me the wait for the RS was much more exciting than the wait for .1 GT3
10 month into my RS ownership and I am still excited and decided can't live without RS , so I decided to skip the .2 GT3 and go directly to .2 RS
Old 10-31-2017, 07:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Haku
All of your comments are appreciated.

D, you just reestablished core reasons for my switch to the .2 GT3. Your reasoning of the aesthetics of the RS are of course spot on as well.

I do hope the manual driving experience lives up to the expectations. Unfortunately, there have been few reliable reviews of that transmission.

Hmmm... me maturing and embracing something with more depth of personality... let me ask my wife to endorse that! For some strange reason I don't think she will!
Trust me -it will. The GT4; you can nit pick long gears and could use more power- but that Manual delivered. I never heard a complaint about that. And coming from a GT4- it is so much fun to feel like you are the car. The Manual makes the car an extension of you
Old 10-31-2017, 07:40 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

M-

Your RS was orange, the slowest color offered. You are essentially upgrading.

Quick Reply: Emotional experience - .1 RS to .2 GT3