Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much performance is lost in the GT3T?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Hopefully not too OT: Could someone please compare/explain chassis characteristics between .2GT3 and a 981GTS with X73 chassis?

My X73 981GTS feels from own experience similar to a 981GT4 with its PASM in Sport mode, so pretty stiff and useable on track. I use it mainly for coffee/back road runs but normally manage to squeeze in 2-4 track days every year.

Is the GT3 another step in damper stiffness, spring rates etc? I'm asking because with the Touring version I am seeing a reason for trading up the Porsche ladder, but I'm wary of giving away much more road useability compared to the X73 GTS.

Thanks in advance!
Why are GT4 owners so specifically interested in the Touring version?
You know that the GT3 has a manual too, right?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have a CGTS w X73. I specifically chose the GTS over GT4 because I didn't want the "track focus" that the GT4 communicates. Same with the GT3. For me, GT3 with wing is not interesting, but with the Touring Package - hell yes. A large N/A engine with 9k rev limit together with the stealthy apperance => absolutely my bag.

And yes - it's also because it has M/T that I'm interested in it. A 991.1GT3 (w PDK only) was therefore never considered. My CGTS is M/T obviously.

So the question was, how will the GT3T work on the road? Will I loose my dental fillings or am I already "broken in" being used to and enjoying my 981 X73?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have a CGTS w X73. I specifically chose the GTS over GT4 because I didn't want the "track focus" that the GT4 communicates. Same with the GT3. For me, GT3 with wing is not interesting, but with the Touring Package - hell yes. A large N/A engine with 9k rev limit together with the stealthy apperance => absolutely my bag.

And yes - it's also because it has M/T that I'm interested in it. A 991.1GT3 (w PDK only) was therefore never considered. My CGTS is M/T obviously.

So the question was, how will the GT3T work on the road? Will I loose my dental fillings or am I already "broken in" being used to and enjoying my 981 X73?

It will still be stiffer than your 981 yes. Not unusable by any means, but you're talking about hard mounts vs rubber in a few places and stiffer spring and shock rates.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

The same as the 'real' GT3, AFIAK there is no difference whatsoever in the suspension between the two cars, the touring pkg is simply cosmetics.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Is it even possible to drive a GT3 on the street to the level of performance you could possibly notice the difference?
Yes, in Germany...
Old 10-31-2017, 02:57 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
.....without the wing? Obviously on a track the wing will help and balance the whole package, but how about for street use? Do the lack of the air scoops under the wing mean less air at speed to the 'Touring' engine? I would think, as with the R that Porsche has tried to make the package as good as possible. Has anyone done an analysis or does Porsche have any comment on this? I wonder how much slower the GT3T would be around the Nurburgring.

Jim
If Porsche can pull it off with the R, the GT3 Touring can as well. Too bad many R's are left to sitting bubble wrapped and not driven.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
None.. none performance is lost. It’s THE SAME CAR!

Unless you get chrome windowtrim.. the way it reflects light on sunny days can cause some photon-induced side-slip angles which can affect the RWS functionality.
That's just it. And better rearward visibility without the wing!

Jim
Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd
Touring car will have less down force at high speeds, like on the back straight at Road Atlanta braking into 10A from 160 mph and the back end gets a little light, or through turn 12 at 110 mph. Or on the derestricted autobahn at 180 mph. Car will feel less planted in those situations.

But blasting down your local off ramp (going straight) at peak speed of 120 mph it will feel the same as a winged version.

A pro driver will be fastest on a track in the winged version with PDK. For the rest of us it's a wash and generally of no consequence.
Remember there is that little pop up wing. How much less effective is it, I guess is my question?

J
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
T is only available in MT?
Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
T is only available in MT?
No you de-wing a standard gt3 and voilà you get a pdk touring
Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
No you de-wing a standard gt3 and voilÃ* you get a pdk touring
And you can also add a turbo to it if you want
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Remember there is that little pop up wing. How much less effective is it, I guess is my question?

J
It’s not that little. One would have to do wind tunnel testing to prove this out, but based on the published specs for trap times which are .1 second lower for a touring (0-100 I think I can’t remember), the pop up wing produces more drag than the fixed wing. Whether it produces less downforce or not, I don’t know, but I suspect it is close to the fixed wing given the angle of attack on the touring wing (it goes way up like on a cab) and the gurney flap. Otherwise porsche would have changed the aero on the front to balance the car and they did not.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Is it even possible to drive a GT3 on the street to the level of performance you could possibly notice the difference?
Nope. Most GT3 owners would have trouble keeping up with a well driven Miata on a public backroad.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

What exactly is a gurney flap on the touring rear.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:33 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
What exactly is a gurney flap on the touring rear.
The little edge at the back. Facinating wiki article on it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_flap

Quick Reply: How much performance is lost in the GT3T?