Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much performance is lost in the GT3T?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an observation - Used to be that you would know most drivers with a GT3 from the track and were performance/racing drivers.

Somehow the GT3 with all of the non compliant ride characteristics and lacking of creature comforts, became fashionable.

Now days, you are lucky to know a fraction of the the GT3 owners from the track.

Personally, I would rather have a 991 Targa, T, S, GTS or Turbo if my main priority was daily driving, back roads or cars and coffee.

At the PEC, we have a GT3 vs Turbo experience and people are very surprised at the difference in comfort and controllable performance at their driving skill level.

Something to think about before committing to a GT car.

Anyways, it has definitely been good for the brand, re-sell values and nice to see so many more Porsche Enthusiasts!

Last edited by mcipseric; 10-31-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:48 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Just an observation - Used to be that you would know most drivers with a GT3 from the track and were performance/racing drivers.

Somehow the GT3 with all of the non compliant ride characteristics and lacking of creature comforts, became fashionable.

Now days, you are lucky to know a fraction of the the GT3 owners from the track.

Personally, I would rather have a 991 Targa, T, S, GTS or Turbo if my my main priority was daily driving, back roads or cars and coffee.

At the PEC, we have a GT3 vs Turbo experience and people are very surprised at the difference in comfort and controllable performance at their driving skill level.

Anyways, it has definitely been good for the brand, re-sell values and nice to see so many more Porsche Enthusiasts!

That's exactly why I have a 991.2 GTS for the backroads and standard DD ability.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Personally, I would rather have a 991 Targa, T, S, GTS or Turbo if my my main priority was daily driving, back roads or cars and coffee.

I took that class at PEC and would highly recommend it. Instructor said I would be driving the UV RS in place of the GT3. Turbo is a great car but wow-that RS was something special. I remember thinking 'I get it now'.

J
Old 10-30-2017, 04:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

None.. none performance is lost. It’s THE SAME CAR!

Unless you get chrome windowtrim.. the way it reflects light on sunny days can cause some photon-induced side-slip angles which can affect the RWS functionality.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:48 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
That's exactly why I have a 991.2 GTS for the backroads and standard DD ability.
Funny I have the same thing in order but in cab form. Do you worry that it’s not enough variety in your garage like I do?!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touring car will have less down force at high speeds, like on the back straight at Road Atlanta braking into 10A from 160 mph and the back end gets a little light, or through turn 12 at 110 mph. Or on the derestricted autobahn at 180 mph. Car will feel less planted in those situations.

But blasting down your local off ramp (going straight) at peak speed of 120 mph it will feel the same as a winged version.

A pro driver will be fastest on a track in the winged version with PDK. For the rest of us it's a wash and generally of no consequence.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:48 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
Funny I have the same thing in order but in cab form. Do you worry that it’s not enough variety in your garage like I do?!

I mean, I've got 4 911s currently with no other sports cars...so uh, I guess you could say I've got a focus...(read addiction).
Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
.....without the wing? Obviously on a track the wing will help and balance the whole package, but how about for street use? Do the lack of the air scoops under the wing mean less air at speed to the 'Touring' engine? I would think, as with the R that Porsche has tried to make the package as good as possible. Has anyone done an analysis or does Porsche have any comment on this? I wonder how much slower the GT3T would be around the Nurburgring.

Jim
I should imagine yes, and I recall AP stating that the ram air effect was good for some 10-20% of top end power???
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

no wing = no care!
Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
..... but how about for street use?
Is it even possible to drive a GT3 on the street to the level of performance you could possibly notice the difference?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Turbo is PDK and AWD. No interest from me. AWD and MT I might be a buyer, but RWD and a 6MT is where it’s at. A turbo also costs more than a GT3 and you can’t get LWBs so meh.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Is it even possible to drive a GT3 on the street to the level of performance you could possibly notice the difference?
Nope haha.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Talks from Car n Cofee
"I am (virtually) faster than you at the Ring because my brand new GT2RS"

going this way ppl will only buy future paper right to own a 2040 car just to go
down the pub and say
" Hey i am faster than you because in 2040... "

Last edited by fxz; 10-31-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed.

Also I have noticed the followingfor timed events)

(1) the die hards remain the die hards, they simply move up model but non the less turn up to every event whatever the conditions.
(2) the "new guys" that turn up in GT cars or other P cars often get a bit of a shock due to the different competency levels and in particular the delta t between seasoned drivers and rookies (irrespective of the car).
(3) for some running 10 to15 or more seconds behind a Cayman/Boxster comes as a big surprise
(4) the fact that for safety reasons you have to be seeded by experience or logged time as opposed to car type
(5) HPDE days do not prepare people for true on the clock events e.g. formal dorian based recorded timed sprints, W2W etc.
(6) Sadly, women are dramatically under represented
(7) The proportion of GT cars tracked under an official time keeper is relatively low to the number sold (plenty do occasional HPDE).

Back to the OPs point - the biggest performance difference will be due to the driver and not the difference between the cars
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Hopefully not too OT: Could someone please compare/explain chassis characteristics between .2GT3 and a 981GTS with X73 chassis?

My X73 981GTS feels from own experience similar to a 981GT4 with its PASM in Sport mode, so pretty stiff and useable on track. I use it mainly for coffee/back road runs but normally manage to squeeze in 2-4 track days every year.

Is the GT3 another step in damper stiffness, spring rates etc? I'm asking because with the Touring version I am seeing a reason for trading up the Porsche ladder, but I'm wary of giving away much more road useability compared to the X73 GTS.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: How much performance is lost in the GT3T?